2 tacho questions.... need answers plz

Hi all, passed class 2 in October last year but only done a few weeks work on the trucks so still getting used to the digi tacho, need a few questions answered please.

1. I did 4 days for an agency last week and have just got used to doing manual entries, i was however doing a print out at the end of each shift and wondered whether this was correct as i have heard of people doing it weekly, or is it best as i’m doing agency work to do it daily as i never know what day will be my last ?

2. I have done some removal work which involves putting my tacho on ‘other work’ for long periods of time and wanted to clear up how long can it be on other work before i need a break ?

Thanks in advance

rusty919:
Hi all, passed class 2 in October last year but only done a few weeks work on the trucks so still getting used to the digi tacho, need a few questions answered please.

1. I did 4 days for an agency last week and have just got used to doing manual entries, i was however doing a print out at the end of each shift and wondered whether this was correct as i have heard of people doing it weekly, or is it best as i’m doing agency work to do it daily as i never know what day will be my last ?

2. I have done some removal work which involves putting my tacho on ‘other work’ for long periods of time and wanted to clear up how long can it be on other work before i need a break ?

Thanks in advance

1. no legal reason to do any printouts

2. Under the RTD (the one most do not seem to bother about) no driver must work more than 6 hours without a break of at least 15 mins

rusty919:

There is no need to do a printout every or week only if you have made a mistake.

1. I have done some removal work which involves putting my tacho on ‘other work’ for long periods of time and wanted to clear up how long can it be on other work before i need a break ?

There are to regulation we as driver have the drivers hour which require a break of 45 minutes, if you drove for 4 hours and 30 minutes, but if your drive time is not an issue then you come under the, Road Transport Regulations RTD Working time,

Breaks
7.–(1) No mobile worker shall work for more than six hours without a break.
(2) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours,
the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time.
(3) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a
break lasting at least 45 minutes and interrupting that period.
(4) Each break may be made up of separate periods of not less than 15 minutes each…
(5) An employer shall take all reasonable steps, in keeping with the need to protect the health
and safety of the mobile worker, to ensure that the limits specified above are complied with in the
case of each mobile worker employed by him.

Thanks in advance

ROG:
the one most do not seem to bother about

In all the companies i have worked for since passing my HGV test and working all of the companies have had some form of checking that i as a driver am following the regulation with regards RTD.

your opinion on this is well said, if some one asks for the advise why not just give him the facts and let them decide. after all its there licence and there job.

great thanks, and does the six hours include my driving time ? so if it took me 2 hours to get to the job i can then only work for 4 hrs ? before a 15 minute break ?

and i only need to ever do a print out if i make a mistake ?

rusty919:
and i only need to ever do a print out if i make a mistake ?

Unless for some reason you are asked for one in order to get paid which I think some agencies may want in which case the agency should provide the paper

rusty919:
great thanks, and does the six hours include my driving time ? so if it took me 2 hours to get to the job i can then only work for 4 hrs ? before a 15 minute break ?

RTD time is driving time added to other work time

excellent, thanks

rusty919:

Drive time and other work are counted other work means your checks the work you do in your job,

Break rest and POA are not counted

if you do 2 hours drive 4 hours work that would be 6 hours work and the break of 15 minutes would need to be taken than, if you did another 2 hour drive and returned to base before 9 hour work you will need to have a 15 break before your shift ends, you as a removal driver and i should know as i have done it you have lots of tea :wink: so fit the 15 minutes in when you have your tea or lunch iand if lunch take 30 minutes if you day is only 9 hours or have 45 minutes for lunch if ove 9 hours i think you get the point.

great, cheers for clearing that up :smiley: :smiley:

Make sure you have enough printer roll before you leave the yard.

DrivingMissDaisy:
Make sure you have enough printer roll before you leave the yard.

How much is enough? :stuck_out_tongue: