2 speed axles

Never had the pleasure of driving a lorry fitted with one.
I presume they were fitted, prior to the use of overdrive/range change /splitter gearboxes.
Basically,how did they work?,mechanically ,air, hydraulic or maybe electronically activated.
I sort of understand that it was a hi/lo diff :question: so could you use one, to split every gear.
Cheers :stuck_out_tongue:

Have a read here…viewtopic.php?f=35&t=41030&start=0

Eaton 2 speed axles were electric shift. No electronics then :slight_smile: Bedford ones were air operated and not as fast or reliable as Eaton IIRC.I’m sure that a lot of more technical people will offer some more in depth info.

Sir +:
Have a read here…viewtopic.php?f=35&t=41030&start=0

Eaton 2 speed axles were electric shift. No electronics then :slight_smile: Bedford ones were air operated and not as fast or reliable as Eaton IIRC.I’m sure that a lot of more technical people will offer some more in depth info.

Thanks for the link.
I should have done a forum search :blush:

aye …I was thrown the keys tae a ford D (perkins)pulling a 4in line low loader and told tae go pick up a broken down wagon …had only driven 4 over 4, ,5&.6 speed boxes on ford Ds and Clydesdales,Atki defender them days lol … had to get a five minute lesson from a mechanic on how they work and it went very very well :open_mouth: :laughing:

Eaton also produced a high & low piece of equipment that fitted onto the back of a gear box, Some 8 wheeler Seddons had them, Which worked more or less the same way as the 2 speed axle, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Eaton also produced a high & low piece of equipment that fitted onto the back of a gear box, Some 8 wheeler Seddons had them, Which worked more or less the same way as the 2 speed axle, Regards Larry.

and there was me thinking they were called magnets.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Never ever came across this particular set-up Lawrence but I always thought the two-speed axle a good simple idea , its a pity they are not available today as they would prove easier to use and maintain compared with some of todays expensive transmission systems .

The May issue of Vintage Roadscene mag has an article on this subject, complete with diagrams and instructions from old brochures. Robert

Passed my class one in a Dodge with an Eaton two speed axle in it

Spud1960:

Hi “Spud1960” Any photos ?, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Spud1960:

Hi “Spud1960” Any photos ?, Regards Larry.

Sorry Larry,

Afraid not, I’d best not let Dennis know, but it was an RTITB training school :wink: