2 Seconds or 4?

When driving, whats your prefered distance from the vehicle in front?
When empty I will have a 2 second gap, but if loaded I will extend it to 4.
Is there any brave drivers on here that will leave less than 1 second? Seen loads do it on the road, well I say brave, they are in fact incredibly stupid.
We used to have a driver at our place, his nick name was 10 foot, because that’s how far he was from ya bumper if you were running with him.
And we have seen the consequences from this stupidity to often.

weeto:
Is there any brave drivers on here that will leave less than 1 second? Seen loads do it on the road, well I say brave, they are in fact incredibly stupid.
We used to have a driver at our place, his nick name was 10 foot, because that’s how far he was from ya bumper if you were running with him.

To be honest, no set time really, just what feels comfortable at the time, but I reckon 2 seconds is probably close.
Usually either the vehicle in front is pulling away or you’re closing, if it was identical in speed, I’d probably have a touch longer, longer in the wet or if I’m tired and longer sometimes depending on what I’m carrying too.
It really is a variable question.

eh :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

if judge your driving by 2 seconds or 4 seconds please hang up your keys and go to lidl and stack shelves for £2ph more.

2 second gap at what speed ? (at 56 its not enough)

Problem with driving on the motorway behind other trucks is that alot are on and off the brakes all the time. So you need more gap because how do you know if they are slowing down by 1-2 mph or stopping.

2 seconds is the recommended minimum distance, and you will notice that the physical distance increases the faster you go.

weeto:
2 seconds is the recommended minimum distance, and you will notice that the physical distance increases the faster you go.

for a car.

If the truck in front of you hits the truck in front of him he will deceleration faster then you braking can.

jessicas dad:

weeto:

for a car.

Any vehicle, 2 seconds will give you at least an artic length gap from the vehicle in front at 56 mph. Try it then tell me I’m wrong.

weeto:

jessicas dad:

weeto:

for a car.

Any vehicle, 2 seconds will give you at least an artic length gap from the vehicle in front at 56 mph. Try it then tell me I’m wrong.

well you can have 2 seconds behind me if you feel safe but if im following you i think il have a few more.

weeto:

Never been down the A75 then? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jessicas dad:

weeto:

jessicas dad:

weeto:

for a car.

well you can have 2 seconds behind me if you feel safe but if im following you i think il have a few more.

Is weeto saying that a 2 second gap provides an artic length when you’ve both stopped from 56 mph assuming that the driver of truck in front stops first and that the truck in front might be running at less weight than the one behind.In which case factor in the reaction time,let alone the possible difference in weight,and :question: :question: :question: :question: . :unamused:

It’s all about leaving plenty of room and then acting on ‘the possibility’ of something happening resulting from what’s going on a lot further than just 2 seconds down the road in front of you.

It also helps to remember that with a cab over there’s not a lot between you and the resulting accident that the possible up to 44 t gross that you’re sitting on would push you into until it eventually comes to a stop.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85749

Carryfast:

jessicas dad:

weeto:

jessicas dad:

weeto:

for a car.

Is weeto saying that a 2 second gap provides an artic length when you’ve both stopped from 56 mph assuming that the driver of truck in front stops first and that the truck in front might be running at less weight than the one behind.In which case factor in the reaction time,let alone the possible difference in weight,and :question: :question: :question: :question: . :unamused:

It’s all about leaving plenty of room and then acting on ‘the possibility’ of something happening resulting from what’s going on a lot further than just 2 seconds down the road in front of you.

It also helps to remember that with a cab over there’s not a lot between you and the resulting accident that the possible up to 44 t gross that you’re sitting on would push you into until it eventually comes to a stop.

■■■■ off you toby

Happydaze:

weeto:

Yes plenty of times, it’s quiet compared to 15 - 20 years ago when you had convoys of them passing you in one go, there thinking behind driving very close to each other was less damage to the vehicles and less Likely to die if they had to stop in a hurry which didn’t happen very often.

As a rough rule of thumb, to determine how far you travel in a second, multiply your speed by 1.5 and that gives you the distance in feet.

So at 56mph, you will travel 84 feet in one second, 168 feet in two seconds and 336 feet in four seconds.

Personally I normally leave a hundred yards or so between myself and the vehicle in front which is about four seconds.

Happydaze:

Carryfast:

[zb] off you toby

Blimey I thought you was going to surprise everyone with a constructive intelligent comment showing where what I’ve said is wrong. :unamused: :laughing:

Carryfast:

jessicas dad:

weeto:

jessicas dad:

weeto:

for a car.

As long as your looking further forward than the vehicle in front you would prob see if he is likely to be slamming the brakes on.

weeto:

Happydaze:

weeto:

Yes plenty of times, it’s quiet compared to 15 - 20 years ago when you had convoys of them passing you in one go, there thinking behind driving very close to each other was less damage to the vehicles and less Likely to die if they had to stop in a hurry which didn’t happen very often.

Aye mate! Keep 'er lit sir! We were all at it mate, and I say, I loved every bloody minute of it. We were alive and we knew we were, ■■■■ the cops, ■■■■ the customs, ■■■■ the trading standards, ■■■■ the lot of them. IRL and NI motors were up and down that road day and night and you rarely saw any of us in the ditch. I was the exception with my NL plate 143 but I was she was well able for the boys. :laughing: There was respect, chivalry, cameraderie etc etc. What have we now? Enforcement. The world is a duller place.

It baffles me when I see a truck tailgating another at 56mph, less than 20’ behind it, and let’s not pretend it doesn’t happen.

Why do they do it? All the following driver must be able to see in his windscreen is the rear of a trailer, if he sat a hundred yards further behind he would arrive at his destination three seconds later at most. To my mind, it’s just creating unnecessary hard work for yourself, as well as danger.

weeto:

Happydaze:

weeto:

Yes plenty of times, it’s quiet compared to 15 - 20 years ago there thinking behind driving very close to each other was less damage to the vehicles and less Likely to die if they had to stop in a hurry which didn’t happen very often.

:open_mouth: :laughing:

Harry Monk:
It baffles me when I see a truck tailgating another at 56mph, less than 20’ behind it, and let’s not pretend it doesn’t happen.

Why do they do it? All the following driver must be able to see in his windscreen is the rear of a trailer, if he sat a hundred yards further behind he would arrive at his destination three seconds later at most. To my mind, it’s just creating unnecessary hard work for yourself, as well as danger.

No way sir, put the waaaare til 'er! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: