2 into 1 merge

I have got fed up with stupid car and van drivers who insist on overtaking right at the end of the merge, and then have to stand on the brakes. Now, as soon as it feels right, on goes the right hand signal, then a slight squeeze to the right and VOILA, no more brake lights in front and I do not have to brake myself.
Am I being selfish?

SWEDISH BLUE:
I have got fed up with stupid car and van drivers who insist on overtaking right at the end of the merge, and then have to stand on the brakes. Now, as soon as it feels right, on goes the right hand signal, then a slight squeeze to the right and VOILA, no more brake lights in front and I do not have to brake myself.
Am I being selfish?

Be careful that you are not using an inappropriate signal in order to cause an obstruction - that could be a prosecution under the new driving law of inconsiderate driving

I play a game of blockade also and move over coming to the end…they soon learn the lesson.

Had a fantastic one the other day, flew past a 2 to 1 merge and continued on opposite side of ride trying to race past, then beeped at the oncoming driver lol.

Absolutely clueless.

Edit: I would classify this as ‘DEFENSIVE’ Driving.

Not this ■■■■ again! This has been done to death. Everywhere in Europe merging works, it’s just the selfish attitude of British drivers that cause the chaos. What difference will a couple of seconds make? JACK ■■■■! :unamused:

voodoo1:
Edit: I would classify this as ‘DEFENSIVE’ Driving.

Or unsafe driving.

I tried this on the M62 yesterday evening. Moved right to block off a good chunk of lane 3, and the pricks in lane 2, decided to use some of lane 1 to undertake me.

There’s no helping some folk.

" Am home Tatania darling. Nearly got held up by some working class drudge in a truck dawdling along at 56mph. Why they have to drive so slowly I’ll never know? I think they liked my car though because they flashed they lights and blew their horn in appreciation as I eased past them. You know Tatania, these working class bods are good sticks at heart"…

:grimacing:

SWEDISH BLUE:
Am I being selfish?

Whether you’re being selfish or not depends on your interpretation of when it feels right, if it’s when you’re nearing the point where the lanes merge that’s fair enough, if it’s at the first sign of an upcoming merge situation then it could be selfish and completely inappropriate.

I agree that too many people leave it too late to merge, but having long lengths of empty lane is no use to anyone and often just makes a queue longer than it needs to be.

Any driver who deliberates blocks a lane where free flowing traffic can use is doing so illegally and can be prosecuted

If the powers that be did not want that lane to be used they would have put the closure in at an earlier point

SARP is not allowed in law

Good observation and anticipation by a professional driver prevents any incident and harsh braking

ROG:
Good observation and anticipation by a professional driver prevents any incident and harsh braking

I think that’s a bit optimistic :wink: I would replace that with “most” sometimes you just have to brake hard and its not your fault in any way even with all the observation and anticipation in the world :wink:

Drift:

ROG:

I think that’s a bit optimistic :wink: I would replace that with “most” sometimes you just have to brake hard and its not your fault in any way even with all the observation and anticipation in the world :wink:

I have had to ease off in such situations but never brake hard so if I can do it then everyone can if they want to

I find that if someone blocks lane 2 up so no one can try and be a ■■■■■■ and push in at the last min then the traffic runs a lot easier and you don’t have to break because you haven’t got to hit the brakes to let some knob head in right on the pinch point.
I had it the other week running up the M1 N/B at night just before the roadworks at junction 28. The matrix signs were flashing before you hit junction 27 saying lane closures and the arrows saying lanes 2-4 were shut further ahead this is about 2-2 and half mile from where it went down to 1 lane through some of the roadworks.
As I am approaching the last yellow sign saying 2 lanes shut I see a car at the side of my door doing the same speed as me and some prick right at the side of the axle on my trailer, I slow just a little to let the ■■■■■■ in who was at the side of my door , he goes past but the prick who was at the side of my trailer axle is just a touch in front now still doing the same speed as me probably thinking I’m going to slow right down to let the prick in.
No ■■■■■■■ chance! He ended up driving through the cones into the roadworks and coming to a stop until someone let him out . I know I’ll get the do gooders on here saying I was at fault, all I will say to them is he had at least 2 and half mile to make his decision and adjust his speed to join the flow of traffic and merge into lane one just like 98% of the other drivers did, also it would have meant me slowing to about 25mph just to let this idiot in and probably causing an accident behind me. If he was at my door then no problem but he was just a ■■■■■■ who thought he would bully his way into lane one when all the other drivers did it properly and we’ll in advance of the lane closures.
What’s betting next time he gets into lane 1 well in advance of the cones? :slight_smile:

SteveBarnsleytrucker - to lessen the risk at the time what would have been the safest thing for a professional driver to do ?

I give great credit for knowing what was likely to happen

I may need to visit mystic Meg to read other drivers minds and pedestrians for that matter, you can be observant all you like but a time will come when you don’t or cant see or anticipate everything and harsh braking can change what could have become a messy out come.

With all due respect I totally agree its an action that should be avoided as much as possible, but just sometimes it cant be :wink:

ROG:
SteveBarnsleytrucker - to lessen the risk at the time what would have been the safest thing for a professional driver to do ?

I give great credit for knowing what was likely to happen

As I stated ROG this happend at the 200 marker board before the cones. I slowed to let the car in near my cab, however to let the other idiot in I would have to come to a near stop on the motorway to allow him in.
End of the day he had 2 and a half miles of advance warning to get into lane 1 just like 98% of other drivers did no problem what so ever.
It wasn’t like where sometimes the lanes merge and you only have a few hundred yard to get into lane 1. I may have come across as one of these truck drivers who bully and intimidate other drivers just because I drive a bigger vehicle, not at all I let people out, flash people in, allow plenty of room when overtaking cyclists and I do let people in where lanes merge but as in this case you just can’t educate some folk.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
you just can’t educate some folk.

I agree - that’s why pro drivers keep the roads safe by opting for the safest solution

ROG:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

I agree - that’s why pro drivers keep the roads safe by opting for the safest solution

What would you think the safest solution would be then ROG? I’m not being funny by the way

I’m just boring in comparison to some other posts-I mind my own business, keep a safe gap infront should anyone cut in, and maintain speed (ie I don’t whack on the brakes to scare people nor do I speed up to narrow the gap).
Regarding lane blocking, the A40 Eastbound at Witney is bad for this; People who decide to play policeman and block the second lane for the half mile or so to the end of the dc way. They might queue in Tescos but what’s with the orderly queue using one lane instead of two? I have no shame in getting behind people and sounding the horn to alert them of my presence.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

ROG:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

What would you think the safest solution would be then ROG? I’m not being funny by the way

We both know that seeing a numpty not planning for what is about to happen is going to cause an issue so I would ease off perhaps with light braking so it went ahead
At least then the numpty is ahead and we can keep an eye on them - perhaps have a bit more of a laugh as they get themselves into another situation :smiley:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
What’s betting next time he gets into lane 1 well in advance of the cones? :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t bet on it… Sounds to me like the guy is a total prick and won’t learn a thing, probably blames the “Idiot” in the truck for what happens or the “Morons” who left the cones on the road