2 and 3 axle trailers

I have a driving assessment for a new job tomorrow. The trailers are full length 2 axle. I have always pulled 3 axle trailers. Is there any handling difference please? Eg turning, reversing. Thanks.

It depends more on where the axles are located really. I used to pull tandem trailers with the axles quite far forward so the trailer followed better meaning you could get round tighter turns. The down side was the rear overhang was massive so had to be careful when screwing it round in tight yards.

Not a lot of difference really, just remember that with a three axle trailer (with all three axles fixed) the trailer will, on smooth ground, pivot on the middle axle**, on a tandem the trailer will, on smooth ground, pivot at a mid point between the axles.

In practice the tandem axles will be further back on most trailers than on a three axle, but on the plus side the rear overhang (which for driving purposes is the distance between the mid point of the two axles and r send) will usually be less than the measurement taken from the centre axle and r send.

Take the first few turnings a bit wider than you would with a triple and you’ll soon adjust.

**you’ll have noticed the changes before when the front (sometimes the rear on tipper trailers etc) axle lifts on trailers so equipped, the way the trailer follows changes significantly, more noticeable how much wider you need to send the tractor to reverse said trailer into a space.

edit…Nomi said it much better.

Many thanks. It’s a Waitrose trailer and only noticed yesterday when I passed one that they only have 2 axles. I was, am, just a bit bothered about the reversing part of the test onto a bay and didn’t want to turn too far and end up in the next bay!

Some supermarkets (Budgens definately) have some shortish tandem trailers where the rear axle is steered, watched one of Budgens do a manoeuver that no fixed axle trailer would have allowed the other day, driver did a proper three point turn that a rigid would have struggled with, the rear axle steered going forwards and backwards thereby pivoting on the front fixed axle which was more or less in the centre of the short (probably 28ft) trailer, superb bit of kit and a pleasure to watch a driver making use of it so competently.

I have no doubt that no supermarket would chuck a new driver in something like this for assessment drives, would take some getting used to for anyone, and i don’t think Waitrose have such trailers but happy to be put right if anyone knows different.

2 axle trailers respond to steering input quicker when reversing. They’re a fair bit more manoeuvrable.

At which site is your assessment ?, good luck.

Conor:
2 axle trailers respond to steering input quicker when reversing. They’re a fair bit more manoeuvrable.

Yep. As long as OP keeps an eye on what’s going on it will be fine. In general when reversing a 2 axle I would put a bit less on and see how it goes - much easier to add a bit more turn than try and claw it back!