1st week on class 1

Thought i had a week off from my normal job (driving class 2) but i got a call mon morning.Did i want to go to Wales in a C+E?.(never been out in one since test)Of course i jumped at the chance,little did i know it meant going through the windy roads in south wales.What a place to get to Hengoed is,then down to Cardiff docks to load with steel for Sheffield for the trip back or so i thought.A trailer change in Chesterfield and off to London i go :cry: drop off here is in a cul-de-sac (not designed for 40ft trailers) managed to get out again, then pick up in Colchester for a north-east delivery :smiley: .Managed to get home on thursday,but off again early fri morn to Falkirk with delivery then back,but 2 collections on way back :frowning: , get to second collection and the rear suspension air-bag goes bang.Boss phones Renault dealer in Glasgow they cant do it as no-one in Scotland has replacement part so i have to wait for spare lorry to arrive from Newcastle anyhow we managed to limp the sick lorry back in the early hours.What a way to be introduced to the wonderful world of class 1 :smiley:

Hey Matt, did I meet you, Friday am, parked in a wood dealers yard?
I had just delivered a load in Falkirk and stopped for a brew, before heading off to Paisley for my reload.
:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

hi mate,i hope your next time out goes a bit smoother.listen if your up here again and you get a air bag go bang, there’s a small company in coatbridge called trucks unlimitied who deal with our trl’s.good reliable bunch of lads and dam good mechanics,they will help you out no probs no matter what the problem is.if you require a number i will get it for you monday and i’ll pm it to you.always good to have one just in case. :wink:

Look on the bright side Matt, at least next week will be a piece of cake :wink:

Simon yes it was me that was in the wood yard you were right the bag went bang,at least i wasnt driving at the time.Boss tried all main Renault dealers and they didnt have it,says a lot about them doesnt it.
Next week isnt going to be smooth im off to Manchester then Rhyl & Melton followed by 2 drops in Norfolk,six drops in London collect in Northampton then 3 more drops on the way home.Hope i make it home fri morn as driving to Plymouth (in car) in eve to pick up kids,at least ill have 3 weeks off while theyre here :smiley: ,time to recharge my batteries.

matt:
Next week isnt going to be smooth im off to Manchester then Rhyl & Melton followed by 2 drops in Norfolk,six drops in London

Don’t envy you mate!

Been there done that, all that crap, …remember delivering handball to some par’…erm asian guys shop! Stoke Newington (olives), then some cash and carry, Hackney. There was a car parked on double yellows right opp’ my right turn. Slowly drove up to rear bumber ‘engaged’ then shunted the (zb) 10 yds up the road to give me room to make the turn. You could hear the engine knocking as the car was still in gear, teach him’.

Hope you have better times than me in that HGV hell hole!

Good luck and good truckin’

“six drops in London”

You’ll be able to say you can drive an artic after you done that! Good luck.

Best to jump straight in with both feet though :slight_smile:

matt:
Simon yes it was me that was in the wood yard you were right the bag went bang,at least i wasnt driving at the time.Boss tried all main Renault dealers and they didnt have it,says a lot about them doesnt it.
Next week isnt going to be smooth im off to Manchester then Rhyl & Melton followed by 2 drops in Norfolk,six drops in London collect in Northampton then 3 more drops on the way home.Hope i make it home fri morn as driving to Plymouth (in car) in eve to pick up kids,at least ill have 3 weeks off while theyre here :smiley: ,time to recharge my batteries.

Good God you’ll be done by Tuesday then !!

Only jokeing…enjoy the time with kids…there not kids very long…I have 2 of my own I know…

hehee my first day on class1 was almost a complete disaster, multi collections in the northwest for and Irish freight company :imp: . My first reverse onto a bay took 20 mins, looked like a right gimp i can tell you, ok so it was on my blind side (hears you all laughing) :unamused:

After that it was pretty ok the rest of the day til i took a wrong turn in chester right up the side of RAF Sealand in a tight country lane. It was either reverse half a mile upto a roundabout, or turn round in the living quarters of the RAF place, so i opted for number 2, hardly any room to turn into that gate, very tight, couple inches to spare at most. same on the way out. I was relieved I got out of that in one piece. Well I suppose we have to learn the hard way.

take it easy

Allrighty