1st time working with timber

Morning

I’m working out of Pontrilas saw mills from tomorrowon Class 1 and it’ll be my first time working with timber

Have’nt had my Class 1 a year yet. I’ve been doing mostly supermarket work since passing my test with an odd day
for Hicks and Norberts. I’ve done steel work on Class 2 but no idea what to expect with timber

Agency told me to use plenty of straps as a previous driver didn’t…I’ll say no more on that

So I’ve no idea what the load will be like (any tips or clues would be grateful)
No idea what I’ll be driving or where I’ll be going

Almost scary stuff! :slight_smile:

cheers

don’t worry about it, it depends on what kind of timber, if its large packs from the docks its easy. if its what they call pallet wood then you need a strap over every pallet, and when you have finished check for loose bits on top, but if you have a tautliner its even easier. if you think the large packs are a bit dodgy make sure you have plenty of timbers for underneath then when you have the first level on cross the packs with the small timbers that then ties the load more stable, a couple of straps over each big pack job done.
when I say big packs there usually about 4 meters long so that means about 3 down each side of trailer, 6 on bottom 4 on top,best loads ever, you will get used to it over time ie some timber has to be kept dry even though its been sat outside on the docks, some timber has been machined which makes it a bit slippy, so good luck royhebb

I’ve worked with timber a lot, though always on small trucks and out of timber and building merchants’ rather than saw mills. The key is to make sure you have more than enough straps for the load. Very often you’ll have different lots on the back (if it’s going to different customers) and the straps over the top won’t restrain some of the items on the side.

As above . remember wood moves so check your straps during transit use the chassis as much as possible rather than hooks and raves … also get yourself a length of rope it’ll some times come in handy … you’ll know when :wink:
oh and 3 pair of gloves
1 on everyday use
1 spare because you’ll lose just 1 glove somewhere or 1 will breakdown with holes etc right when you need a pair.
1 dry … :open_mouth: yeah a 2nd spare set because in the winter wet gloves don’t do your hands any favours, ice cold and all that.
I know some will scoff but get yourself your OWN safety helmet and glasses / visor not googles…

I used to go into there quite a bit , Fords transport blue units so will no doubt see some in the yard there either flats bringing logs in or chipliners who will go up to kronospan at chirk .
Anyway you will be driving a scania all there units are pretty new , I think they have dedicated trucks for the round timber with timber cranes on , I expect you would have a flat trailer on taking the sawn timber out to customers and possibly bring back round timber (possiblely being loaded by one of there lorries with timber crane ) . I have seen them doing backloads of various things inc steel
There drivers when I have spoken to them seem ok , the shunter driver seems pretty sound fella and help full if you have not been there before or not sure where to go to get tipped or loaded .
Are you there full time or with agency .?
Cheers MIke

Sheet timber is the worst, normally it comes in well banded packs on skids (so forks can get under bottom) the problem is when packs split or you are delivering hand picked orders to customers.
MDF is exceptionalaly slippy and if it moves it can cut a strap with an edge.

Basically more straps the better and use edge protectors especially with MDF.

Loose packs can also be belly strapped.

Paul :smiley:

So do tell , how did it go then ?

Well…the first day was bum squeakingly fun all day
First drop was at Wilko’s, had to take a trailer to be tipped then back to the yard so that was easy

I was then given my notes to deliver to a timber yard in Honiton just off the A30 which I found by pure chance.
The load stood about 14’5-15’ and weighing in at 41 tonne in total. Now all I’ve done upto now is supermarket work
so the load is already secured and the trailer sealed. Having looked at it and after I strapped it down (10 straps) the yard had filled up
with Stobart drivers and their own drivers so I had to get out there without making myself look like a knob… success :slight_smile:

Driving it felt totally different. The turning of the cab felt slow and ■■■■■■■■■■ and driving along the B4348 and A40 to get to Ross
was probably the sweatiest driving I’ve ever done what with trucks coming the other way and drivers going to work in cars. Once on the
main roads and motorways It was fine. Stopped each day after an hour or so just to check the straps and tighten them up if need be

As the week went on I got more used to it and more used to the gears on the Scania (only driven autos since passing test)
and by friday everything was peachy :slight_smile:

Overall it was an enjoyable weeks work driving to different size yards and having to negotiate different revereses
The saw mill itself has its loading bay down the bottom as you drive in and the reverse to drop the trailer is a blindside with towers of timber everywhere that improved a lot by friday but alas I’m shunting for Norberts next week so hopefully I’ll get a call in the future to back to the saw mill

cheers

Don’t forget your wellies in the winter. The yard turns into Brown soup.

Matt just be aware that loads above head board height can attract a £100 fine from the Dvsa or police ,packs of timber are on their list .

Dan Punchard:
Matt just be aware that loads above head board height can attract a £100 fine from the Dvsa or police ,packs of timber are on their list .

What about round wood? Most trailers don’t have a head board

I’d say that if whoever stops you decides it is insecure or above headboard height( but devisable)then your going to have to make it look more secure with more straps or a sheet or move some around ,all I can say is 2 Punchard drivers got fined £100 each by the police and the 4 wheeler hiab went out to remove the top layers off each lorry ,they were carrying packs of alluminium form work which jam together well ,after this most of the fleet had larger headboards made .