1st run in 18t Scania

Evening all, I haven’t posted much lately as sometimes I feel I’m not as good at writing a column than driving a truck, but here goes.

Since starting my job (pallet deliveries) not much has happened worth posting about tbh, apart from my first week getting two ten pound tips off two customers, and a breeze block fell off a lorry into my path :open_mouth: , I’ve just been going about my daily business in a MAN 7.5t which has been great, I’ve managed not to wrap it round a post/tree, and I’m certainly not complaining coz I feel I was lucky to get the job, we all know how hard it is out there :unamused: But I’m definatly getting itchy feet now waiting to be put in an 18t full time, which I’ve been told will happen.

But yesterday I got the chance coz my truck tail lift needed fixing, so I asked for another lorry and the guy said “take whatever you want”. Well I felt like a kid at Christmas standing in front of the key cupboard :smiley: , so I played it safe and chose a 59’ plate 18t Scania, one of the oldest on the fleet rather than the newest ones they’ve got. So I climbed in and figured out how to put your card in, you have to hold the number button down and the slot ejects like a cd tray? :blush:

Done all the safety checks and that, started her up to Hear a very nice throaty tickover, and an even more satisfying horn! :grimacing: Oh yes!

Got loaded up with my deliveries, only five btw and off I went. One in Chelmsford, two in Basildon, pitsea and canvey island. Got the hang of the gearbox, a four over four but reverse was across and up! So I crunched it a couple of times, and even worse was getting used to the clutch. It turns out that you need to bring the clutch all the way up for it to engage and then gas it. I’m used to my little lorry clutch half up - Gas down. I pulled away from a few junctions and it just crawled along because I didn’t bring clutch up high enough, v embarrassing! And stalled it pulling away in 3rd ok, but pulled clutch up too quick this time lol! But still loved it, nice comfy seat with lumbar, compared to the basic stuff in my MAN. And can’t wait to do it again!

As I say I’m not so good with the words,

Regards

D’B

Nice one, keep it on mate

Cheers Priest,

It’s very satisfying when cars coming the other way suddenly realise they have to move over from the white line more than they would have liked :wink:

I see your in Essex too, whereabouts mate? I’m in Colchester.

Regards

D’B

brentwood mate

Nice to read and good to hear Dan! :smiley:

I’m sure before you now it there will be another fresh Newbie in the 7.5ton, & you will be full time in a proper rigid!
I would have used the word truck, but i didn’t want to upset the caravan club members on here! :smiley:

Yes you do need to hold the white line at times, especially on lanes… But remember that at some point another truck doing the same, will be coming around the corner! :open_mouth:

Keep up the good work pal, and before you know it they will let you drive a 26ton VAN!!! :laughing:

Who’s playing you in the film mate?

Another thing to remember is that just cos you usually drive a 7 5 tonner that don’t make you any the less of a lorry driver than the ‘big boys’ who get off on the fact that they drive a ‘HUUUUUGE’ truck, you’ll meet quite a few of them on here.

Re: The clutch. Sounds like the clutch-saver we have in some of our Scannys. Absolute ■■■■■■■ devices IMO. Basically, it’s to stop you from burning out the clutch. So, if it detects you’re riding it, it doesn’t engage. You do need to fully engage it, but bring it all the way up slowly, while giving it gas, and it’ll go. As for stalling it in 3rd, happens to us all - but it might have just been because you weren’t used to the clutch and either brought it up too fast or didn’t give it enough gas.

I drive tankers, so with the liquid sloshing back and forward, you do occasionally need to feather the clutch and release it at exactly the right moment (when the liquid is slowing forwards)… but with the clutch saver, by the time it’s made it’s mind up that it’s going to let you go, the liquid has started heading backwards again. Stall! Really rips my knitting :laughing: :laughing:

Crack on :smiley: