1st Job Interview

Well its been a fair few years since my last job interview…15 to be exact.
So I now have my 1st interview (with Hovis) as a newbie class 1 driver. I’m hoping that you guys can help me out and give me a few tips on what to say regards my lack of experience.
Do you still need to wear a suit to an interview or is it now deemed OK to be smart casual?
Any tips what so ever will be greatly appreciated.

Ok of you were the boss how would you expect people to turn up dressed for an interview :question:

You could also take a list of questions that you would like answered

Be honest with them

But I have not had an interview for a long time ( about 25 ) so cant help much there tbh

Good luck with it

Recent link to job interview advice =
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

ask them what the dough is :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

neil46:
ask them what the dough is :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

■■■■, I wanted to say that :cry: :laughing:

just go casual, you know like smart jeans and shirt and shoes. be polite and honest and answer all questions.

make them aware of your lack of experiance after all we all have to start somewhere.

Never mention the money,it’s a golden rule.If the interviewer brings it up that’s fine but if they don’t ,wait until they offer you the job.
Personally I would wear a suit because it shows respect to the interviewer and it will set you apart from the great unwashed.You are not going to be “Just a driver” they will see you as an ambassador for the company,the person their customer sees so despite what else you may hear image is very important.
Do your homework on the company and try and translate any experience of your own that may be beneficial to a new employer.
Ask plenty of questions,even simple stuff like “What’s a typical day like ?”.I always ask if I can have a look around the site,I find that this breaks down some barriers and you might get the chance to speak to other employees to see what the job is really like.So many companies these days are all image and no substance.
I have always washed my car ,it sounds like overkill but it demonstrates that you care about your vehicle and you will care about theirs.

tell them you are living on the BREADline and need the job :laughing: :laughing:

I always mention the money during the coversation.

Here’s how it might go

"May I ask you a question/ questions. How much will I get paid etc, etc.?

How many hours does that equate to?" etc ect.

Subtle. They are now under your control. Sort of

You have asked for permission. They may like that? :bulb:

Or they may be totaly lost for words. :bulb:

Take the hi viZ. You may get pulled before getting into the place if not?

Be confident and assertive. Good luck :wink:

xrayday:
Never mention the money,it’s a golden rule.If the interviewer brings it up that’s fine but if they don’t ,wait until they offer you the job.
Personally I would wear a suit because it shows respect to the interviewer and it will set you apart from the great unwashed.You are not going to be “Just a driver” they will see you as an ambassador for the company,the person their customer sees so despite what else you may hear image is very important.
Do your homework on the company and try and translate any experience of your own that may be beneficial to a new employer.
Ask plenty of questions,even simple stuff like “What’s a typical day like ?”.I always ask if I can have a look around the site,I find that this breaks down some barriers and you might get the chance to speak to other employees to see what the job is really like.So many companies these days are all image and no substance.
I have always washed my car ,it sounds like overkill but it demonstrates that you care about your vehicle and you will care about theirs.

If you read Hunter Davis’s book about a certain Carlisle haulage company, there is a bit about when they were smaller the manager would conduct the interview whilst Edward would go an look at the applicants car. If it was filthy, no job so not as overkill as it might seem

It really annoys me when people turn up for interview in scruffy clothes, and haven’t a clue about our company - a quick search on the Web would give them more than enough information!

If I’ve advertised at the Job Centre it’s a sure fire way of weeding out those that want the job and those that are just fulfilling their quota of job interviews to retain their benefit payments.

If someone turns up in a suit, yes it may seem like overkill, but as has been said before, it makes you stand out from the rest - and shows an effort and commitment towards securing the job.

Show genuine interest in the job and company, if I’m doing most of the talking and just getting the odd grunt back then I take the impression that the interviewee either has little real interest in the job, or an attitude problem that I wouldn’t want to inflict on my customers.

I personally don’t mind if the applicant asks about the money, after all there is only one reason why we all go to work - isn’t there…!?

Whatever you choose to wear or say, good luck!