1st Interview - woo hoo!

Hiya

Got a call Friday to say I’d been shortlisted for a 1st Interview (2nd interview and assessment to follow if successful) for a Cat C multi drop job with Asprey Transport out of Kiln Farm in Milton Keynes.

" £351 a week - We are currently looking to recruit an additional Category C (Class 2) Multi-drop Driver to join our Milton Keynes Depot. Applicants must have multi-drop experience and a full clean category C driving licence is essential (only minor points will be considered). Duties will include the collection and delivery of freight on nominated routes within the Home Counties. Candidates will also be required to drive 7.5t vehicles as and when required. Hours of work are Monday to Friday 6.00am job start until finish (approximately 10 hour shifts)."

What kinda questions do you think will come up ? :confused:

Appreciate some pointers as I have only done Agency temping so far.

Cheers

Malc

malc7:
What kinda questions do you think will come up ?

How long you had licence
What you been doing
Are you flexible
Are you a team player

On any assessment there is likely to be a tacho rules test
possibly a highway code test
A driving assessment which will concentrate on general safety - not procedures like the DSA test

malc7:
Hours of work are Monday to Friday 6.00am job start until finish

Be careful that you are not tempted to risk your licence by trying to get finished quicker - stick to the law

well done mate. hope you get the job. just be honest ( ish ) a little ellaboration never hurt anyone. dont stray too far though as it will come back and bite you on the arse.
Good luck again mate. :smiley:

Good luck mate and do what Brian says, don’t be tempted to finish too quickly, take your time and it will come to you. I have a mate who works for Aspray, I’ll ask him if there are any pointers that he can offer.

I would want some clarification on the “approximate 10 hour shifts”.It sounds a little vague.Check with their drivers if you get a chance,what if you end up doing 11 or 12 hours a day and not getting paid for it or getting time in lieu.If you finish too early will you have to take the scenic route back to stop them thinking you are cutting corners or not being given enough work.BUT wait until you have been offered the job before you bring it up so as not to put them off you in the first place.

Thanks for the advice guys - very very helpful.

Fingers crossed for Monday at 1030am…got my shiny shoes and shirt and tie ready.

M

If you get the chance to read this before your interview in might help to ask a few questions.
My mate has left Aspray but what he said that the hours can be long depending on the route and that they have a habit of either not paying or being very late with any overtime payments. This is for all the additional time that you’ll most likely do.

Thanks everyone and Paul-H for that last one. Had a friendly-ish chat with the Depot Manager this morning.

Looks like that old cherry - you get paid for the 10 hour shift and any overtime is discretionary and up to him and depends on the circumstances.

Anyway - I’d be glad to take a start anywhere at the moment… so we’ll have to see what he thinks after seeing whoever else he’s looking at.

My lack of (driving) experience always counts against me but this is the second time I’ve applied to work there - so fingers crossed.

Please, please can I have a second interview■■?

Good luck and keep your fingers crossed, that phone call might just come. If you do start just be careful and keep things under control. I’ve got another assessment tomorrow for yet another supermarket, aparently they have a 25% pass rate, so here’s hoping that I’m in that percentage. :grimacing:

Paul-H:
… If you do start just be careful and keep things under control…:

Yes, I might be a newbee but at 46 - I’ve learnt that rushing around trying to finish fast is not the way. Safety and sticking to the rules and regs is my cuppa.

The depot manager did say that they’d had some hassle previously with paperwork due to keen, speedy young uns… he thought the prospect of an 18 year old HGV driver was bonkers !

So there’s hope for old dogs like me yet …

Paul-H:
Good luck and keep your fingers crossed, that phone call might just come. If you do start just be careful and keep things under control. I’ve got another assessment tomorrow for yet another supermarket, aparently they have a 25% pass rate, so here’s hoping that I’m in that percentage. :grimacing:

Just keep it together, have a steady and safe drive… My supermarket assessment has landed me a permenant job, i’ve only had my CE for 6 weeks! :laughing: