1st interview as a newbie

Passed my C test two weeks ago and just got an interview with a local haulier in their Palletways division. Just popped in on the off-chance to sound them out & they seem keen to recruit. Anyone got any experience of Palletways or their members? I know it’s multidrop driving anything up to 22 tonners but don’t know much else. Keen to hear of any experiences - good or bad.

Cheers

As a newbie it will test you. Pallet line, Pallet Network, Pallex they are all the same. Expect anything and everything, be asked to get into places that you really shouldn’t be taking a truck. Lots of tail-lift jobs. On the plus side, you will gain valuable knowledge about the area and you get some serious practice time at reversing. Do it for 6 months then look for something better.

I do pallet force occasionally and it’s a ball ache sometimes. My pet hates are 1 tonne bulk bags of gravel, chippings and even slabs. I typically either do about 15 drops in one go our they put me out on two runs. It’s ok and will give you experience of the messy end of the stick. You might love it :slight_smile: I agree that sometimes you go to places that a van shouldn’t even be going down but excellent experience and will get you forward planning how to get in and out with the truck.

As Adam said, ton pallets are a nightmare, some weigh more than a ton, bulk bags of grain for a bakery.
Customers can be thick as a plank, they think you can use a pump truck with tiny wheels to haul their stuff over a turfed lawn or over their gravel drive.
They will say the old chestnut of " The normal,or regular driver does it ."
On pallet drops, they go anywhere, to obscure places.
Farmers will be at the market or have a bad back if you ring ahead to ask for help unloading a hand ball load.
Some will leave the tractor keys in the ignition, to unload yourself.
Mind out for loose guard dogs and abandoned machinery hidden in the grass verges where you need to turn on.
Cars use country lanes as Formula one race tracks, and won’t slow down or give way.
Fold the mirrors in while in tight spots.
Get out of the cab, and walk to the delivery location if you suspect the lorry won’t fit.
A few minutes can save hours of delays with the cost of a tow truck or crane to get you out.
Your regular stops may make you a hot drink, if there the same time regularly, the drink will be made before you arrive.

All the above. Excellent advice given. Make sure your pallet truck is a willing partner lol.

6 months and then cheerio. 1 stripe earnt. Lance Corporal status.