1st infringement

Heya folks been driving for about 2 months now infringement free but picked up my first one today :frowning: Was just hitting the m3 from london and assumed there would be a lay by within the next 30 mins but there wasnt one to be found! I hit 4hrs 38 mins by the time I made it to Lightwater and pulled up as soon as I could. Im going to .ake a manual entry on the printout. Do you think I will get im the ■■■■ for this?
Thanks

hgvhgv:
Heya folks been driving for about 2 months now infringement free but picked up my first one today :frowning: Was just hitting the m3 from london and assumed there would be a lay by within the next 30 mins but there wasnt one to be found! I hit 4hrs 38 mins by the time I made it to Lightwater and pulled up as soon as I could. Im going to .ake a manual entry on the printout. Do you think I will get im the [zb] for this?
Thanks

Nope…just don’t make a habit of it and you’ll be fine. I tend to plan to stop after 4 hours driving unless I’m pretty certain of where I’m going. :wink:

No and it will not be your last.

Welcome to the club :laughing:

tell them before they tell you.
maybe a note on your timesheet. that way there is no point them bringing it up again.

As long as you are not in the habit of doing this, you should get off with some friendly advice from the police/VOSA. Especially if you have taken a print out and made a written entry to explain your error, you should be fine. Also helps if you can pass the ‘Attitude Test’ if you get pulled

No,you’ll be alright,it’s only 8 minutes,hardly the crime of the century. :wink:

Never had an infringement on a digitach but when I’ve run over 4.5 hours on analogue I’ve always made a note on back of tacho chart and never had a telling off. A couple of times I’d thought I’d gone over and made a note, it turned out when TM scanned tacho I’d had 5-10 mins left. Where I had gone over, I did write that I’d stopped at the nearest safe location.
I wouldn’t worry about anything upto 15 mins unless you make a habit of it.

Thanks guys aint been to london for years would of thought therebwould be at least one lay by or safe place to stop! Will plan ahead better next time!
Thanks!

If your going into London, and some other cities, until you learn the parking spots take your breaks early. Our mob have a habit of planning breaks at stores but if you tipping at the kerbside or a busy car-park your chances of getting a break without being interrupted are very slim.

Wouldn’t fret though 1 infringement in 2 months is hardly a sign of serial offending.

Planning to stop at about 4 hours like previously said is a good habit to get into.

It’s saved me a few infringements when heading to places I’ve not been to before.

If you end up with a delivery in London and especially if you have two to do, it is well worth taking a break at Scratchwood or other services just outside, because there is no certainty that you’ll be able to take one inside London. It is surprising how difficult it is to drive 40 miles into London, do the job and get back to somewhere sensible in your time. The lay-by on the coastbound A2 near Falconwood is usually stuffed with lorries that have just made it.
You will also see frequently lorries in the 1hr parking bays on the Red Route section of the A13 Eastbound between Wapping and Limehouse. It is worth taking notice of where you see supermarket lorries parked up and obviously not delivering, these guys have to cope with the problem regularly.

There is a layby as the m3 becomes the a316 both london and camberley bound. You should’ve asked me before you left :stuck_out_tongue:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using my thumbs

simon_da_man9:
There is a layby as the m3 becomes the a316 both london and camberley bound. You should’ve asked me before you left :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers mate will remember that next time! That place is tight as ■■■■!

This highlights something that affects many HGV drivers, we are required, by law, to take breaks but there is no obligation upon highways authorities to provide parking facilities for us.

Those lay-bys that exists are regularly comandeered by contractors for storing their equipment and materials whilst carrying out work on the road.

waddy640:
This highlights something that affects many HGV drivers, we are required, by law, to take breaks but there is no obligation upon highways authorities to provide parking facilities for us.

Those lay-bys that exists are regularly comandeered by contractors for storing their equipment and materials whilst carrying out work on the road.

Or blocked off to stop the mobile driveway gangs. There are at least 3 decent laybys blocked between Banbury and Kidlington that were great for artics.

Welcome to my world bobby !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using My thumbs

hgvhgv:

simon_da_man9:

Cheers mate will remember that next time! That place is tight as [zb]!

If that lay by is full there’s usually some room to park on the Felthambrook industrial estate if you turn off at the roundabout before the M3. :bulb:

maps.google.com/?ll=51.437383,-0 … 5,0,10.04

Don’t worry its not an infringement unless you dont comply with the rules.

“Provided that road safety is not jeopardised, and to enable a driver to reach a suitable stopping place, a departure from the EU rules may be permitted to the extent necessary to ensure the safety of persons, the vehicle or its load. Drivers must note all the reasons for doing so on the back of their tachograph record sheets (if using an analogue tachograph) or on a printout or temporary sheet (if using a digital tachograph) at the latest on reaching the suitable stopping place (see relevant sections covering manual entries). Repeated and regular occurrences, however, might indicate to enforcement officers that employers were not in fact scheduling work to enable compliance with the applicable rules.
A judgment by the European Court of Justice dated 9 November 1995 provides a useful guide to how this provision should be interpreted. It can apply only in cases where it unexpectedly becomes impossible to comply with the rules on drivers’ hours during the course of a journey.”

As long as you take a printout and KEEP IT WITH YOU FOR THE NEXT 28 DAYS THEN GIVE IT TO YOUR EMPLOYER, you have not broken the law, just don’t make a habit of it or you will have some explaining to do.

just dont go out of the UK for the next 28 days unless you have a load of cash to spend - you would get fleeced royally over here.

No, 8 mins over you can just say nowhere was safe to park up if there is no problem just forget it