1st ever job with agency 2moz, help!

Hi,

I have got my first ever commercial job tomorrow with an agency and I absolutely petrified as I don’t want to mess up!!

Please can you give me as much advice as possible to put me at ease!!

It’s for an insulation company class 2 driving so there will be wood and pipes, do I use straps?

When I get there do I put my digital card in forst b4 I do the daily checks? Periods of availability aren’t paid for are they?

How do you know where to go when you get to your first destination?

I’m a girl and I am so worried that everyone will laugh at me if I mess up, I know i’m capable of driving I’ve done my Class 1, it’s just everything inbetween that worries me like the checks, deliveries, restraints, using the tachograph properly!!

Please help me calm my nerves, I know I know this stuff but i’m just panicking and want to make sure I get it right.

Welcome Carla44.

Everyone has first run nerves.

Good luck for tomorrow.

As you said you know how to drive the lorry so that’s one less thing to worry about.

I personally put my analogue or digicard in as soon as I get keys to lorry. Then put it on other work while I do walk round checks. From what I know this is one thing VOSA Officers look for.

Quite often you will have a contact name on the delivery notes and you look for a Goods In gate. If it’s more complicated than that then the company loading you will tell you

There is no shame in asking whether you are a newbie of 20 years in the job. I am sure that the female members of this forum ask just as much as the males.

I am a relative newbie so do not know all the answers but hope that the above helps.

Dean

Thanks very much Dean.

I’m not confident that’s all, I think once I get the first one out of the way I will feel better. Grab the bull by the horns and all that lol!!

I’m used to sitting behind a desk or on a horse so this is a brand new career, I feel like I need and instructor there to guide me! I know I can do it guess i’m just insecure and need to know what I think I should be doing is right or not.

I want to make a good impression so that I get hired again but I guess everyonemakes mistakes so if I do then I do lol!

Thanks again if you have any more advice then i would really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Carla

I have done a couple of jobs for insulation company’s. The delivery note will normally have a contact number or if it is a site look for the site office or agent they will always point you in the right direction. If there is anything tricky the Transport Manager will let you know.

I also always put my analogue or digicard in as soon as I get keys to lorry and then do the checks. That’s how I think most drivers do it.

Of all the places I have been to as an agency driver they have always been friendly and helpful and if you are not sure just ask.

Best of luck.

Richard.

Ok that’s good to know, thanks very much for the advice.

Thanks,

Carla

Hi Carla,

I hope all goes well for you. Take your time and enjoy it, and just ask, ask, ask.

I too have a regular job of sitting in an office and absolutely hate it. It was my first run on Saturday just gone. Once I got there and realised how friendly and helpful other drivers are it really makes you feel more relaxed, I’m sure you too will find this out.

Every drop I got to, I just pulled up, jumped out and went and asked which way other drives get the delivers in and that I was new and it was my first day. Once people know you’re new they’ll help you out 

Stick the Tacho in first and then do your checks, like others have said.

Let us know how you get on.

Carla44:
Hi,

I have got my first ever commercial job tomorrow with an agency and I absolutely petrified as I don’t want to mess up!!

Please can you give me as much advice as possible to put me at ease!!

It’s for an insulation company class 2 driving so there will be wood and pipes, do I use straps?

When I get there do I put my digital card in forst b4 I do the daily checks? Periods of availability aren’t paid for are they?

They most certainly are!

How do you know where to go when you get to your first destination?

I’m a girl and I am so worried that everyone will laugh at me if I mess up, I know i’m capable of driving I’ve done my Class 1, it’s just everything inbetween that worries me like the checks, deliveries, restraints, using the tachograph properly!!

Please help me calm my nerves, I know I know this stuff but i’m just panicking and want to make sure I get it right.

How did you get on yesterday? I sincerely hope you got through the day safely. As you no doubt realise now there is considerably more to doing the job than just passing the driving tests. I strongly suggest you consider doing further training with regard to load security at least. As the driver of the vehicle you are responsible for the security of the load. Things falling off the truck is not a good scenario. And of course members here are willing to help with advice.

Edit to add: tomorrow is spelt T-O-M-O-R-R-O-W not 2moz… :unamused: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi carla sorry just seen Ur post hope it went well today as a female driver too when I first started I did not feel able to ask for help u know pride that should be able to do like the blokes etc etc but what I soon realised is that the blokes get help too and no person is gonna see u struggle all the places I’ve delivered too there has always been a friendly face to ask and if u explain that its Ur first time and dont know procedures etc and the guys n gals on here have been invaluable to me take Ur time its cheaper for a company to pay an hrs overtime than the cost of an insurance claim they won’t expect u to do the run as quick as the regular guy all the best

Jenx

hi, hope it went well for ya…
you said u can drive,bet u were fine once out the gates…if in doubt just ask thats what i say…