1st day out on own (class 1)

Hi all, hope your enjoying the bank holiday :slight_smile:

Well Thursday last week I went out with an experienced driver and I did the driving all day! And my first ever artic delivery was a full trailer of pallets of flour, down some tight country roads. And Itā€™s certainly an eye opener when you meet your first artic coming the other way :open_mouth: , but common sense prevails and you just have to take it slow, literally 20-30mph at times and just forget about the line of traffic behind you haha! We delivered to a few industrial estates too, where all the cars line the road you literally have no room for mistakes or youā€™ll end up dragging a car along with you. I never had this problem in a rigid but I reversed into this narrow yard (around lunchtime) made the delivery and on the way out encountered a car parked on the corner of the road right where I needed to put the trailer, obviously theyā€™d come back from lunch or something, and it was just so much tighter than it needed to be, very nearly had to fold in a wing mirror!

All in all it went well but later in the day we dropped a trailer and I didnā€™t lower the unit suspension enough and caught the unit rear wheel mudguard as I pulled away, half pulling it off but luckily I stopped in time to stop it coming off completely. They attach quite flimsily so it went back on ok, and the guy was fine about it.

FRIDAY, I went out on my own!! So I must of done something right even though I was told Iā€™d be out with some one else for two days. Well the start of the day I struggled like mad just to park a double decker in a straight line next to a bollard, how simple yet so difficult! I just couldnā€™t get it, you end up over-correcting and sawing at the steering wheel in a flap, well I did anyway! :open_mouth:
The rest of the day was great, I did 3 runs down to the same supplier and brought back full trailer loads, also a trailer swap somewhere else. So route wise the day was a breeze, which meant I could enjoy it and take it all in without any added stress. Absolutely loving it when your cruising on a clear bit of dual carriageway, in a 64ā€™ FH Volvo at 3mph under the limit :sunglasses:

So the things Iā€™ve taken in so far: driving an artic is not as daunting as it looks, ( I passed in a drawbar so completely different), use as much road as you (legally) can, if you need both lanes to turn then do it! Cars will still try to cut down the side of you, but they get a nasty shock when you pull away. Watch the trailer on turns as it will cut over the hazard lines, also be aware the headboard swing! Reversing take slowly and steadily, donā€™t panic - ignore distractions i.e cars waiting etc, also getting out to look is a must as the headboard will wipe out the view from your mirrors, and that poorly parked car will disappear! Better yet if thereā€™s a banksman on hand to help you out, but donā€™t overly rely on them as others will say :confused: It wonā€™t be their fault if you rearrange the warehouse gates! Some warehouse staff will be happy to help you back in or out of their premesis, either that or you can sit and block their entrance all day and they donā€™t want that lol. Try not to overcorrect, it will make a mess of it. Positioning - get the rear of the trailer pointed where it needs to be , if in doubt straighten up and start again. This is just from a few days as I havenā€™t parked on a bay or pulled in or out a lay-by yet etc.

I hope Iā€™m not stating the bleedinā€™ obvious to some of you more experienced jediā€™s, I just wanted to get it off my chest with folk that are in the know - as the missus hasnā€™t got a bloody clue :wink: but I love her to bits nonetheless and Iā€™ll be making an honest woman of her soon :laughing:

Well its my boys birthday tomorrow so Iā€™m back on Wednesday, looking forward to what lies ahead!

Cheers all

Dā€™B

Great post! :sunglasses: gives a brilliant insight into what itā€™s like starting out from class 2 to class 1. Iā€™m undecided on whether or not to make the jump in the future, but nice to know itā€™s not the massive culture shock most fear.

A great post Dan, but youā€™ve taken your time to grow a pair mate! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I think itā€™s wise that youā€™ve eased yourself in slowly and wouldnā€™t recommend anyone passing and just going straight out alone, as their reversing skills are probably not going to be up to scratch, mine still arenā€™t! :open_mouth:
If i recall correctly, youā€™ve also had a fair bit of practice in the yard shunting, so youā€™r almost an old hand at it! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Best of luck mate! :smiley:

twistgrips, yeah they might look big and daunting at first mate but you soon put that to the back of your mind. And seeing as your a member here, if you want to make that jump into hgv you know where to get the info you need :grimacing:

Hi Evil howā€™s things? yeah the balls have well and truly dropped now mate! I was happy enough in the 12 tonner but weā€™ve had a few class 1 guys leave the last month or so, so I guess that means Iā€™ll be moving up a notch permanently from now on :sunglasses:

Weā€™ll see what happens,

Dā€™B

Hi Dan
Sounds like you had a good day and did well,Never feel like you have to rush if you keep people waiting its you that has to explain why you hit something the cars will just clear off without a thought.
I might just have to take longer sometimes if you see cars getting shirty and trying to squeeze past I just pull forward get out and have a look,I know I donā€™t need to but if the cars wait a minute instead of being arses I would be quicker lol :grimacing:
Being in a unit your higher up then a van so can see more.

Hi Daytrunker, I did notice your signature change a while ago to a new 65ā€™ steed :wink: , now I donā€™t know about you but I was in a 64ā€™ plate and what amazes me is how high you actually are, compared to the 12 tonner I was in, itā€™s so much better for all around vision, and Iā€™ve waited so long for a bloody armrest lol! The automatic handbrake release is cool and itā€™s so much more about driver comfort, even more so than a rigid. Iā€™m hooked after one day mate :grimacing:

Dan Bear 87:
Hi Evil howā€™s things? yeah the balls have well and truly dropped now mate! I was happy enough in the 12 tonner but weā€™ve had a few class 1 guys leave the last month or so, so I guess that means Iā€™ll be moving up a notch permanently from now on :sunglasses:

Yeah Iā€™m good mate, Iā€™ve perfected my limp! :smiley:
Sadly thatā€™s true at the moment, but itā€™s healing slowlyā€¦

Brilliant that youā€™re on the move. :wink:
They obviously have faith in youā€¦
THEY MUST BE MAD!!! :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Decent Post Dan,
Iā€™ve done Class 1 work before (of which never had to do the below) CPC became official/the norm/mandatory - whichever way you wanna swing it. Got no qualms with my abilities with Rigid work (Iā€™m in the forces ) so rigid and W+D isnā€™t worrying in the slightest but trying to reverse an artic and onto a dock (i want to put ā€œscaresā€ here but not quite) concerns me with regards to other drivers (the wisdom holdings) and FLT drivers get impatient if its not on the dock minutes after they bang the cab etc. Just tryna rack me head around artic reversingā€¦ had any RDCā€™s or Docks yet?

Everydayā€™s a school dayā€¦keep it up pal

Sam

Hi Sam,

Yes mate Iā€™m learning everyday, but also enjoying it which is the main thing. Iā€™m guessing RDC means regional distribution centre? Yes I went to Poundland in Harlow the other day and backed onto my first bay in an artic, and at this place they only allow bays 1 to 12 for us delivery drivers. And my luck was in because I was next in the queue and a guy pulled off bay 12, and bay 11 was out of order so I had a little more space than normal to attempt it, Iā€™m not gonna lie. It wasnā€™t completely straight but it was on the bay so I was happy enough :grimacing:

Iā€™m doing loads of trailer swaps so Iā€™m getting used to the couple/uncouple procedure and Iā€™m getting quicker at it which is good progress, but the other day I encountered a trailer with the legs down too much, aka trailer too high! Anyway I backed under slowly, raised the suspension and saw that the fifth wheel went under (at this point I hadnā€™t realised. Yet :open_mouth: ) so I backed up and thought the pin had attached. But I realise it hadnā€™t because the clunk didnā€™t sound right to me, itā€™s a unique sound when a trailer attaches which Iā€™ve got used to already, so I got out to look and the fifth wheel plate wasnā€™t flat under the trailer, so I had to wind the legs down a bit and that sorted it out. But hey you learn these things!

Iā€™ve also had to shunt our longest double deck around the yard, itā€™s a beast and itā€™s got a rear steering axle. All I can say is thank god for the button that locks the axle, coz I gave it a go without locking it and it just went completely the wrong way.

Regards

Dan

Great post. I can remember my first class one day vividly. I turned up at the yard in huddersfield and was shown to a DAF with a manual box. I was a bit nervous about it, but soon got the hang of it. I had a drop in Birmingham, so after swapping a trailer in Bradford (the legs wouldnā€™t wind down on the empty using the handle, so I had to get under and wind them by getting underneath and turning the bar running between the legs!), I headed to Brum. I found the address and turned off the dual core, only to be told that the address on my paperwork was wrong and there drop was a different lock up across town.
I then had to back up out of there onto the dual carriageway (I had a banksman, but he had no English, or appreciation of the room an artic needs).
My satnav sent me to the wrong end of the street - for some reason a school had been built across the street halfway up it, and I was the wrong end of the school!
Anyway, a Pakistani guy from the drop had seen me across the playground and turned up in a van to ā€˜guideā€™ me. Foolishly, I followed. He took a sharp right at a crossroads on these narrow, parked car lined streets and i followed. As I turned, some woman tried to undertake on the left in her hatchback and my rearend swing hit her in the door - I only knew because luckily I had my windows down and heard her terrified screams as the trailer bar turned her golf door into swarf!!!
It was a great startā€¦
Finally getting to the drop, I was expected to help empty the trailer, which was stacked floor to curling, headboard to rear doors with double duvets in bags, no pallets - all handball.
The sweat was peeing out of me, lol. But the owner of the business have me a tenner for my trouble.
I then had to back out of that street onto the one crossing it, with parked cars all around, and more natives (of Birmingham) squeezing past in their cars, on placements and everything - it was mental.
Then I had a backload to pick up from an Argos RDC - probably Lutterworth? I made an absolute arse of myself trying to back it onto the bay. It must have taken me 40 minutes, no exaggeration, and the whole time this smug self-pleasurer of a shunter is standing there shaking his head and commenting ā€œwhat do they teach them these days?ā€ Etcā€¦
When I finally got home, after taking a second 45, I thought ā€œwell, it canā€™t get any worse than thatā€ and thankfully, itā€™s been great since!

Hi shandy, great input there mate. Ah the joys of double parking eh? And Iā€™d have wanted more than a tenner to help unload a whole trailer lol! When backing up blindside and that headboard swings round I get paranoid about what I canā€™t see, but I guess thatā€™s a good thing because I do get out to look. Itā€™s just not a nice feeling when youā€™ve got a pair of mirrors on either side that are basically useless because of the angle the trailer is swinging round :blush:

Regards

I can atest to Birmingham being horrible to drive in. Although, the closest Iā€™ve come to driving an artic is on Eurotruck Sim2.

Well done for your 1st day and keep it up! The more you do it the better you will be! Iā€™m doing my class 1 training in 4 weeks time! Passed my class 2 a fortnight ago! We only have artics in work so iā€™ve been practising my reversing each day! Practice makes perfect though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harlow eh! Just off M11 if my internal sat Nav is working haha. Iā€™m inside M25 so not far from me. To be fair I think Iā€™d learn and self teach quite quickly but with agency work (which is what I do whilst still serving , you donā€™t get time to fiddle with shunting around practicing reverses just a case of pick up and go) once Iā€™ve nailed a couple think Iā€™ll get the knack and just non-blindside it where possible and well if must be a blindside, panic and ask someone politely to blitz through the manoeuvre for me haha

Yeah trailer swaps is what I used to get and hope for or getting tipped off the sides which was a bonus when theyā€™d say donā€™t worry about a dockā€¦pheeeeewww. But wanna go back into it confident Iā€™m not gonna bodge it. With the fifth I aways got out and checked making sure it was flush against trailer and pin was aligned not worth the risk of feeling the trailer behind your head :open_mouth:

Yeah just lock them off and crack onā€¦

Friday I tried registering with an agency Iā€™ve used before in a different city (of which the branch before were brilliant with me serving and would text me on Fridays foe any work that night or the Saturday and Iā€™d inform them if I was on leave the following week and theyā€™d throw work my way) however the bloke dealing with driving at this new branch didnā€™t seem to be in any sort of urgency to get me registeredā€¦Iā€™ll go back there Wednesday to finish registering but Iā€™ll register with other agencies around meā€¦ you win some you lose some I guess

Tricky 21 Jan:
Well done for your 1st day and keep it up! The more you do it the better you will be! Iā€™m doing my class 1 training in 4 weeks time! Passed my class 2 a fortnight ago! We only have artics in work so iā€™ve been practising my reversing each day! Practice makes perfect though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with your training mate, and getting some practice in will boost your confidence come test day!

SBenn:
Harlow eh! Just off M11 if my internal sat Nav is working haha. Iā€™m inside M25 so not far from me. To be fair I think Iā€™d learn and self teach quite quickly but with agency work (which is what I do whilst still serving , you donā€™t get time to fiddle with shunting around practicing reverses just a case of pick up and go) once Iā€™ve nailed a couple think Iā€™ll get the knack and just non-blindside it where possible and well if must be a blindside, panic and ask someone politely to blitz through the manoeuvre for me haha

Yeah trailer swaps is what I used to get and hope for or getting tipped off the sides which was a bonus when theyā€™d say donā€™t worry about a dockā€¦pheeeeewww. But wanna go back into it confident Iā€™m not gonna bodge it. With the fifth I aways got out and checked making sure it was flush against trailer and pin was aligned not worth the risk of feeling the trailer behind your head :open_mouth:

Yeah just lock them off and crack onā€¦

Friday I tried registering with an agency Iā€™ve used before in a different city (of which the branch before were brilliant with me serving and would text me on Fridays foe any work that night or the Saturday and Iā€™d inform them if I was on leave the following week and theyā€™d throw work my way) however the bloke dealing with driving at this new branch didnā€™t seem to be in any sort of urgency to get me registeredā€¦Iā€™ll go back there Wednesday to finish registering but Iā€™ll register with other agencies around meā€¦ you win some you lose some I guess

Lol, Iā€™ll avoid the docks until I have to mate, going on your experience :slight_smile:
And I met another high trailer today, I think one of our guys is obsessed with leaving them like it!

Again, Iā€™m lucky enough to be emloyed so I donā€™t have to deal with agencies and wondering when your next work is gonna be! But Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a lot of stigma attached and if you get in good with them you can make it work. Some of our artic guys are strictly through the agency coz it pays them more, wtf! :open_mouth:
Jammy sods!

A couple extra tidbits here,

I tend to learn the hard way of course but when unloading/collecting make sure the unit is straight lined with the trailer because the unit rear wheels will stick out on the opposite side that the wheel is turned, and if you get a forkie whoā€™s rushing around he may just ram into the side of your tyre/mudguard :open_mouth:

Another reversing tip I picked up today, when backing up look in the mirror for painted lines or cracks in the concrete etc, anything you can use as a marker to line the trailer up against will help you out.

Watch those airlines on curtain sider ratchet handles, when you do a tight U turn make sure they donā€™t snag, luckily I spotted it when it happened earlier and reduced the lock on the steering!

Only other thing today I cut my thumb on a dodgy trailer bulb, where I squeezed it too much trying to entice it out of the housing, some of them can be right fiddly little ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  :grimacing:

Regards

Dā€™B

P.S Iā€™m looking forward to an uncomfortable nights sleep where itā€™s so bloody hot out lol! :blush: