1st Accident

From a NON-ADVANCED driving book - ‘Mind Driving’ - which deals with, amongst other things, DRIVER ATTITUDE :slight_smile:

Rog… just out of interest, ahem Does Mrs Rog ever feel jealous of that book?
You seem to be rather fond of it!

Scarab:

She has her own book - it’s heavier than mine ------- OUCH :exclamation: :exclamation:

Scarab:

Seriously - it’s a book that does not tell you how to drive :exclamation:

ROG:

Scarab:

Seriously - it’s a book that does not tell you how to drive :exclamation:

Just how one thinks about it. A book I take with me everywhere :sunglasses:

ROG:
I’m glad no-one was hurt and you all think that I am being pedantic but I hate the word ‘accident’ - to me it implies that no-one was at fault which in over 95% of cases is untrue - most ‘incidents’ or ‘crashes’ are the fault of one or more drivers.

to me the word accident means not done intentionally, and doesn`t distract from the fact that someone was at fault.

if a driver has gone out of their way and purposely crashed into you that would be an incident.

IMHO :wink:

I believe it was the police who changed the reference from RTA to RTI not so long ago upon the realisation that accidents don’t just happen but have cause & effect.

Been driving artics since 91 on busy m/ways, tight junctions, narrow roads, city centres, etc. still not had my 1st on the road accident. (not to say i’ve never pulled a set of lines off or broken a mirror). :blush:

When driving Large vehicles on the road, you are more highly trained than many other road users, it is necessary to anticipate and make allowances for the mistakes of others, no matter how much you think you have right of way.
(saves many hours of form filling)… and if those others happen to be in a Micra or BM, be especially aware!

Churchill:
to me the word accident means not done intentionally, and doesn`t distract from the fact that someone was at fault.

if a driver has gone out of their way and purposely crashed into you that would be an incident.

IMHO :wink:

Tend to agree, saying you had an accident just means you had a crash or a collision it’s not saying nobody was to blame. Picking up the use of the word in these circumstances is pedantic. The police changed it recently from RTA to RTC because they are the most pedantic and ‘correct’ bunch going these days.

If you fell off a ladder because you were reaching for something and broke your leg, when people asked what happened would you say, oh I had a collision with the ground due to my incompetance, or I had an accident on a ladder?

206doorman:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

ROG:
I’m glad no-one was hurt and you all think that I am being pedantic but I hate the word ‘accident’ - to me it implies that no-one was at fault which in over 95% of cases is untrue - most ‘incidents’ or ‘crashes’ are the fault of one or more drivers.

Rant over for today :laughing: :laughing:

here we go again with the world according to ROG,
If your walking down the high Street and some bumps in to you do you have to blame them or yourself.

It’s the same when 2 vehicles come in contact. The only people who want someone to blame is the insurance companies.

I hate the words Institute of Advanced Motoring, it implies that every other driver apart from them is inadequate.

You are so [zb] pompous you make my blood boil

Rog is one of the most articulate and erudite posters around here…
…that’s why, to you, he appears to be pompous.

No he’s pompous because he has to correct everything and everybody, he always knows best and no matter what you say to him, he is always right.

Also he has his bum chum Chippy to back him up, the funny thing is, a lot of people fall for is propaganda.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
No he’s pompous because he has to correct everything and everybody, he always knows best and no matter what you say to him, he is always right.

That’s a bit heavy. It baffles me why you think so as Rog has provided a wealth amount of advice for new drivers in ‘LGV TRAINING TIPS’ . He has put in a certain amount of time to do that. He didn’t have to do,but it tells me that he is decent enough.
Rog was not correcting anyone about the word ‘accident’,he was merely evaluating the terminology of the word,as I suspect ‘accident’ is to denote an avoidable situation. Most accidents are avoidable,and it is down to human error. In merc0447 case,he was found not to be in error,the third party was.

limeyphil:
What is it with BMW drivers, are they all complete tossers or is it just the ones i come across. I can’t be only one to think this.

I agree on that. As the beemer owners have it in their head that they are driving in more expensive car which gives them priority. The same goes with Audi, Merc and SUV drivers
I give priority to the 17 year olds who drive such vehicles in a specific area where I drive the bus service :wink:

limeyphil:
Why do you all say “glad no one was hurt”

It’s to maintain a professional tone. My view is that I wish the pr**k smacked his head on the side door upon impact
@merc0447,what exactly happened?

206doorman:
I actually enjoyed my 1st accident, as it involved 2 rather gorgeous young blondes who drove into my under-run bar.

The driver admitted fault, and we then had a good chuckle and plenty of banter during the ‘exchange of details’.

I therefore recommend collisions with softness,especially the really
pleasant-to-look-at ones!

Is that it?!!!
I think you aren’t telling us everything. I think you went to her address and and tore the back out of her :laughing: you rum begger :wink:

Driveroneuk:
I believe it was the police who changed the reference from RTA to RTI not so long ago upon the realisation that accidents don’t just happen but have cause & effect.

I agree with the theory behind it, accidents don’t just happen but i don’t agree with the politics behind it.

I believe accidents do happen, the authorities, advanced drivers, books everything else always forget one fundamental fact that humans drive vehicles not robots or computers, so there is always going to be human error.

There is always going to be a **** happens aspect to driving, i feel in someways as soon as an accident happens the courts egged on by the government as to quick to pass out heavy sentences like that HGV driver on the traffic cops program.

Anyone you tells you, they have never had a lapse of concentration even briefly when driving is a liar or doesent drive.

I think there is a huge difference between doing something like being on the phone, eating a take away etc… and loosing a bit of concentration in terms of punishment but the courts dont see it that way, hence 4 years in jail.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

206doorman:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

ROG:

Rant over for today :laughing: :laughing:

here we go again with the world according to ROG,
If your walking down the high Street and some bumps in to you do you have to blame them or yourself.

It’s the same when 2 vehicles come in contact. The only people who want someone to blame is the insurance companies.

I hate the words Institute of Advanced Motoring, it implies that every other driver apart from them is inadequate.

You are so [zb] pompous you make my blood boil

Rog is one of the most articulate and erudite posters around here…
…that’s why, to you, he appears to be pompous.

Also he has his bum chum Chippy to back him up, the funny thing is, a lot of people fall for is propaganda.

Should that not be ‘his’? :laughing:

Why don’t you wind your neck in and go and have another deep fried mars bar or sumat :unamused:

K27:
[ The same goes with Audi, Merc and SUV drivers !

Technical terms:

AUDI = Arrogant Useless Dull Individual

That’s the only one I know chaps (apologies to some Audi drivers but not all).

Tiger.

limeyphil:
What is it with BMW drivers, are they all complete tossers or is it just the ones i come across. I can’t be only one to think this.

Well there you have it then thats me all wrapped up and neatly catagorised according to limeyphil thanks for pointing out that i am in fact a complete ■■■■■■ and not just a mere partial ■■■■■■ as some people on here were still unsure on the actual wholeness of my tosserism

extrucker:
Merc0447,he drives a BMW and you drive a truck.Obviously your fault!!
Have you not read a BMW handbook??
What were you doin in lane three,the BMW lane anyway?? :laughing:

So would i be at fault in an accident or not then or would it be 50/50 :question:

Had a look in my handbook btw and i couldn’t find the paragraph you mentioned would you be able to tell me what page it was on…Thanks for that it’d be much appreciated

Driveroneuk:
When driving Large vehicles on the road, you are more highly trained than many other road users, it is necessary to anticipate and make allowances for the mistakes of others, no matter how much you think you have right of way.
(saves many hours of form filling)… and if those others happen to be in a Micra or BM, be especially aware!

Now it gets a little confusing does that mean i am a highly trained complete ■■■■■■ then :question:

And the irony is … You all bleat on about how us truck drivers are stereotyped and wrongly judged HAH! dont make me [zb]ing laugh

Now it gets a little confusing does that mean i am a highly trained complete ■■■■■■ then

you said it :laughing: :wink:

Was it you that hit a car you hadn’t seen whilst changing lanes on the M6 at Preston a year or 2 back?

poor Reef,sorry that you’ve been catogorised. I’m sure that you are a Professional driver since you drive a rigid/artic. It’s those that don’t have the professionalism,and most are in high prestige vehicles.

treat your first " unexpected impact event" as a training course, ie filling in accident forms, people skills. etc etc. I did :laughing:

Driveroneuk:
Was it you that hit a car you hadn’t seen whilst changing lanes on the M6 at Preston a year or 2 back?

Yep but that was before i owned the Beemer i had a volvo back then :laughing:

And in my defence i was driving a Twingo :stuck_out_tongue:

But whats the relevence of a BMW driver having an “incident” (just for you ROG :stuck_out_tongue: ) in a truck with a silly cow sat in my blindspot for a mile or two whilst the car behind her had all my attention wondering why the hell he was just sitting half way down the near side of me (obvious now of course coz he was behind afore mentioned silly cow) So when he finally moved over so did i (silly cow didnt, she was still there as i soon found out :blush: ) And the fact that lane 1 was clear and she was sat in lane 2 and i was in lane 3 (4 lane stretch) and i’d had my indicator on for roughly the last minute or so (remember i thought the bloke half way down was my problem not her as i couldn’t see her) …Anyway why am i explaining all this i’ll just find the O.P. and you can read it yourself :unamused: (wish i’d thought of that before typing all the above)

So if your point is im a bad driver driveloneuk because i’ve had one very minor motorway incident and i now drive a BMW then thats your opinion and your entitled to shove it up your ■■■ it. :grimacing:

[u]LINK TO O.P. HERE[/u]

Just read through that old post again … Should’ve guessed… It was you trying to wind me up then too driveroneuk :frowning:

I don’t consider i wound you up, and that was certainly not the intention.

I merely asked a question, as would a lawyer in court, in an attempt to establish the facts.
Alas you weren’t able to answer the question, which surely reflects on your powers of observation whilst driving, at the time.
You’ve had another few years experience since then to fine hone your skills.

I think other contributors were much more forthright in there postings.

If you didn’t want people to make negative comments about your driving, then why post the fact that you had caused a collision, on the internet?

Please be clear, there is no personal issue here.

Driveroneuk:
I don’t consider i wound you up, and that was certainly not the intention.

I merely asked as question, as would a lawyer in court, in an attempt to establish the facts.
Alas you weren’t able to answer the question, which surely reflects on your powers of observation whilst driving, at the time.
You’ve had another few years experience since then to fine hone your skills.

I think other contributors were much more forthright in there postings.

Please be clear, there is no personal issue here.

So why bring it up in this thread then 3 years later ■■?

But yes i think you are right about the experience

So i think we’ll leave it at that.