1k licence no experience = no work

Hi all what are the realistic possibilities of getting class c work after just passing my test & not having much driving experience, all the potential agency’s will register me with the possibility of 7.5 tone work which is good as it gets me on the road or should I stand my ground for class c but it will be very slim due to the insurance. I have been offered a couple of days un payed work sitting in with a driver of class c for a bit of experience.
It really is a hard as 95% of lgv work advertised via direct.gov is agency work,
Ware are all real jobs direct from potential company’s.

I sympathise but there are jobs out there if you look hard enough and put your name about. I passed my Cat C two months ago and passed my Cat C+E just over three weeks ago and I’ve just landed a full time job direct with an employer driving artics. They are fully aware I’m a newbie but are willing to give me a chance.

If you apply for enough jobs someone somewhere will give you a break, probably when you least expect it!

As Lee said knock on some doors employers like it if you take the time to walk in with your cv instead of it being posted as by talking to you they can tell more than just a cv.
Dont forget your hi viz when you go I know it sounds silly but they can see your prepared.
Direct gov are mainly agency but some offer temp to perm contracts but find out which company it is thengo direct to them for a job.

Jeff

As said, get out there and systematically knock on doors. Don’t take “he’s not available at the moment” as a final answer. Find out when “he” will be “available” and go back. Years ago, newbies could look in the local paper and decide which jobs to apply for. These days the jobs are rarely advertised - and this is because people like you are going out and getting them before there’s any need to advertise!

The very worst thing you can do is to ring a few agencies and then wait for “the” call. You will grow old and thin waiting for it.

You really must be proactive in the job search.

No-one ever said it would be easy - but it’s far from impossible when you go about it the right way.

All the very best with it. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

There deffo is work out there for newbies mate - some companies are happy enough to take a chance on us, as has been said - try try and try again.
Finding the right agency may help you.

Cheers
Gareth

hello there!

I am a newbie driver like yourself, passed my test and have no experience and I’m only just 24 years old and after hearing all the rants and raves about agencies and getting frustrated at all the jobmatch jobs being agency ads. I just walked into all the hauliers in my area and i’m not from a big place like a city or anything and I just went into everywhere and handed in cv’s and even if there was no vacancies and also if they didn’t want to take my cv I snook one on their reception desk anyway and to be honest I wasn’t feeling too hopeful! But I have been offered positions by almost every company I applied for! I’m on my third company in as many months! Oops! Lol! But that’s me being a picky sod! Haha! So don’t give up big man, the work is out there and I feel I’ve been really lucky and you can be just the same! I have never rang an agency number, it can work if you just go in and badger the company!

All the best anyway matey!

pete1476:
Hi all what are the realistic possibilities of getting class c work after just passing my test & not having much driving experience, all the potential agency’s will register me with the possibility of 7.5 tone work which is good as it gets me on the road or should I stand my ground for class c but it will be very slim due to the insurance. I have been offered a couple of days un payed work sitting in with a driver of class c for a bit of experience.
It really is a hard as 95% of lgv work advertised via direct.gov is agency work,
Ware are all real jobs direct from potential company’s.

try indeed.co.uk i did as i have been away from h.g.v for 5 years i start work monday as a trade plate driver not ideal but never the less a foot back in the door :smiley:

As said really knock on doors!. Posting cv’s are usually filed in the waste paper bins and ringing around doesn’t really show enough willing to a potential employee. If your put off work now spend the day driving to as many yards as you can, look through the yellow pages and see where they all are eg general haulage, skip/tipper firms anything you can get to. Law off averages one will come up trumps for you and it shows alot more enthusiasm and willingness. Take your boots, gloves, hi via, maps the lot. If one asks when can you give a trial you can reply right now! That way they have no time to change there mind once you’ve left :slight_smile:. Good luck happy hunting and don’t give up.

Just a bit of hope for you, my nephew did his class 2 last month,he is 43 and has only ever drove a Sprinter before the training, he was out knocking doors and one place he went to had a 17 tonner standing because the driver had called in sick, it is a family run company with only 6 trucks, 4 artics and 2 rigids, the owner asked if he would be prepared to take the truck out with two locals on for delivery there and then, he did it and the owner went out with him, a direct result is that he did a few more days and has now been offered a full time job on the truck after the driver put his notice in.
These companies do exist so have a bit of faith and get out there.