1974 Bedford TK. Tyre help!

Hello. I am new to this forum and hope that someone here may be able to help. I have a 1974 Bedford TK horsebox that I am converting into a mobile pub for festivals, events etc. Whilst the restoration of the cab and box is going very well, the guys looking after the mechanical side tell me that we need 4 new tyres on the back wheels. However, they cannot find tyres that are the right size. I have tried and it seems that the tyres on this vehicle are an obsolete size and impossible to find. They are 8.25 x 17. I’ve tried everywhere! Does anyone know where I might find any? Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

TKBar:
Hello. I am new to this forum and hope that someone here may be able to help. I have a 1974 Bedford TK horsebox that I am converting into a mobile pub for festivals, events etc. Whilst the restoration of the cab and box is going very well, the guys looking after the mechanical side tell me that we need 4 new tyres on the back wheels. However, they cannot find tyres that are the right size. I have tried and it seems that the tyres on this vehicle are an obsolete size and impossible to find. They are 8.25 x 17. I’ve tried everywhere! Does anyone know where I might find any? Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

You might try TRS Tyres at Morecambe tel no. 01524 69497 and ask for Trevor Stonier what he doesn’t know about tyres you could write on the back of a stamp, tell him Dennis from Bewick Transport recommended him, I recall he sourced some 8:25 17’s for me for an old stock car coach transporter. Just an idea but if he can’t help he may point you in the right direction. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick…thank you. I’ll call him tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Many thanks.

TKBar:
Bewick…thank you. I’ll call him tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Many thanks.

Hey, are this tubeless tyres ■■? 17 ■■?
you can change for 17.5 tubeless, and cheaper.
Highth converter here.

Eric,

Thanks TipTop but I’m not sure I understand the chart. Can you explain a little more?

Hey, If the periphery has only a few millimeters difference, it is useable together.
the same is with some big tyres to as 1000r20 and 11r22.5 are the same and useable side by side.
The only difference is the rim,but look Always if it is with cones or flat nuts !!!

Eric,

TKBar:

Hello TK. I’m not sure where you’re based but if you contact the North West Transport Museum in St. Helens (they have a website) someone there might be able to source you some or put you in touch with a man who can. It’s mainly old buses in there but the members tend to pool their (aging) brains to find old parts and stuff for all vehicle types.

Used to work on a very late TK that had tubeless tyres on it. 9R19.5 tyres were fitted if i remember rightly.

:slight_smile:
A small ad on page 97 of last months ‘Heritage Commercials’ magazine reads:

TYRES.
Selection of unused obsolete stock truck and van tyres, including many obscure sizes.

Tony Etheridge
01923 231699 (24 hr answerphone).

Thanks Deesider. I spoke to Tony Etheridge and he was pessimistic about me ever finding any of these tyres. I will persist in my efforts but other options would be to swap out the rims or, as others have suggested, make a different size tyre fit!

Hi TK, H143500 is correct. The tubeless replacement for an 825-17 is 9R19.5. Unfortunately this will be just as rare as the 825-17. We converted some TK’s for Calor Gas when Michelin stopped making 17" tyres. Trouble was the size of the brake drums so you will be limited what will fit. If anyone has this size tubeless wheels and tyres from a scrap TK bite their hand off!

tyreman:
Hi TK, H143500 is correct. The tubeless replacement for an 825-17 is 9R19.5. Unfortunately this will be just as rare as the 825-17. We converted some TK’s for Calor Gas when Michelin stopped making 17" tyres. Trouble was the size of the brake drums so you will be limited what will fit. If anyone has this size tubeless wheels and tyres from a scrap TK bite their hand off!

Bearing in mind the above post , a trip out this next weekend to the Bedford Gathering might prove useful to make some contacts. :stuck_out_tongue:

bedfordenthusiastsclub.com/G … 202016.jpg

H Vrakking BV (+31(0)168 323636) info@vrakking-tires.com have a set of 6 9R19.5 tyres for sale, 4 drive axle 2 front steer.

Thanks! I’ve emailed him an enquiry…so I could be off to Amsterdam this week :slight_smile:

Ok…so he has replied promptly with the following;

‘Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately I can’t offer or do know where you can find 8.25-17. I do know 9R19.5 will never fit on 17’’ wheels.
We have in stock Simex Sand Rider 255/85-17 new. These have more or less the same outer dimensions as the 8.25-17. See the link below for specifications and pictures. Tires cost €95,- each.
vrakking-tires.com/truck4x4 … -new.html’

Anyone have a view on his advice? Does his alternative look feasible? Thanks in advance.

Personally, seems way too wide to fit a rim that had 8.25-17s!

TKBar:
Personally, seems way too wide to fit a rim that had 8.25-17s!

The TK rims are only going to be 6 or 6.5 inches wide.
For the 19.5 inch rims 245/70R19.5 is pretty close to the 9R19.5 850mm diameter.

Forget the 255/85-17’s they only have a load rating of 1320kg per tyre.

The 825-17’s will take a front axle weight of 3800kg and a rear axle weight of 7200. The best the 255’s will do is 2640kg on the front and 5680kg on the rear as the load index is only 118.

The 245/70-19.5 is a close replacement, but they are recommended for fitment to 6.75" width wheels - it would depend how close the twins come to the chassis on the rear, and lock to lock on the front.

Tyreman, i went for a more logical sizing than 9R19.5,my other thought was 225/70R19.5 but i guess it is going to need the same size of rim (6.75).

You guys know your stuff! BTW, the TK is going to be a mobile pub for festivals and events. It’s work in progress but looking pretty good! I’ll post some pictures soon.