19 Coy Tank Transport Retford

I wonder if any old bugger on here was ever based at Ranby Camp in the early 60s when I was there.Whenever I went out on a drag I was only a No.3 but still had a chance to drive.Diamond Ts were gone by then and most of the tractors were Mk2 Antars but the Mk3s were also there with the Rolls straight eight diesel and gate-change box instead of the two-sticker. Talk about king of the road` just imagine being 18 years old and driving something with a 52 ton Chieftain or a 65 ton Conqueror on the back,no wonder it made you bigheaded.be nice to know if anybody remembers those days.Best Wishes if you do.

my late father drove diamond t`s throughout ww2 in north africa and italy he had some good tales to tell shame he missed all this internet stuff he would have loved it, sorry to go off the thread it must be because its christmas, fredm

Just goes to show how my brain cells are vanishing, it should be a Centurion not a Chieftain in my previous post,that`s what happens when you get senile.

I was based a another camp nearby for 6 weeks and 1 day lol. the one with the fence round it :smiley: during my younger days

Hello r slicker,you may be interested to know that the camp you mention was originally 19 coy but after the Army left it was turned into a *****.I was contacted a while ago to invite me to a reunion before the site was flattened.I expect it`s probably an industrial estate now.

I realize this is an old thread but ive just stumbled across it , in search of people from whom my grandad served with at retford tank transporter co between 1958 n 1962.his name is melvin burkinshaw . Still alive and well. Anyone ?

I was based at Retford 1961/62 but Im afraid the old brain cells dont recognise your grandfather`s name.There are a couple of sites related to Tank Transport, one of which has a lot of members from that period. Best of luck in looking, Bookworm

Built in Leyland.

Centurion - (06 MA 52) :

Located on the A582 in Leyland by the roundabout at the Junction of Flensburg Way / Penwortham Way.