18t SKIP truck. Which one to buy?

hi all.
I need your advice.

I’m planning to buy a skip lorry and not sure what to choose.

I’ve got 7,5t daf lf45 tipper and it’s good truck.
I operate in London so LEZ applies, considering 07-08 plate. I want as low as possible low milage truck. Around 200k km.
Must be reliable. Not much bothered about fuel consumption, but cost of parts is significant,

I consider(in order):
Daf lf55 or cf65 (I used to drive LF55s, there is local dealer, where I can get good discounts sometimes on new parts and I know one of their mechanics who can plug in the computer for 50quid, etc. Also most of skip lorries are dafs, so it means something. I’ve never driven cf). however there are not many of them on ebay or autotrader at all.

axor-atego 18t (2007+) I can see many of them used by big boys in London, also often used in distribution. i dont know much about them. I found a good one, serviced and with reasonable price, 190k km and gross 23t. Seriously considering.

volvo FL240. I did think they are good truck because it’s volvo. but I read now basically they’re ruubish Renaults with badge. True?

what about 18t Man? I’ve driven one for 2 months and got used o it, but condition depends how treated, some of 07-08 plate trucks were quite worn desite in-house servicing.

any thougths?

The answer to this is the same as the answer to every truck based what to but question.

Avoid DAF. But Volvo.

Anyone who buys a but when they could if bought a Volvo needs thee head looking at.

The Volvo is a better truck by a country mile in the same way that oral ■■■ is better than Chlamydia.

With DAF being the market leader in the uk.if you want a DAF I would go for the LF55 which has the same running gear as the CF65, but has a narrower cab …

DAF is the market leader because they are cheap.

A wise old man once told me buy cheap buy twice

norb:
With DAF being the market leader in the uk.if you want a DAF I would go for the LF55 which has the same running gear as the CF65, but has a narrower cab …

Why would you want a narrower cab? The body will still be the same width so I’d prefer to have as wider cab so I’ve got more space inside.

mucker85:

norb:

Why would you want a narrower cab? The body will still be the same width so I’d prefer to have as wider cab so I’ve got more space inside.

But with the lf if you catch it you catch the wings the cf is pretty flush so if you catch that you catch the doors aswell. Around here the bigger firms run daf lf some run Volvo some scania. The scania chassis is to low if your on landfill I doubt it would last, if your tipping in transfer stations on level ground it would be ok. The scania would be heavier then a daf so your payload would be a little less. Mercs seem popular ive seen the atego comes in a 16t version and if it has a body to fit would be a little narrower. All makes have pros and cons so I suppose it boils down to what suites you and what work you’ll be doing in it.

Tipper Tom:
The answer to this is the same as the answer to every truck based what to but question.

Avoid DAF. But Volvo.

Anyone who buys a but when they could if bought a Volvo needs thee head looking at.

The Volvo is a better truck by a country mile in the same way that oral ■■■ is better than Chlamydia.

We are big volvo users and the fl hasnt been a great skip lorry no where near as reliable as the old fl6 was but still with premium price.
Its a hybrid of renault parts and a deutz engine.
The daf is popular in london and they are cheap we have a few now.
The Merc is a good skip motor but not as cheap.

Leyland Clydesdale,Bedford KM,Ford D1000? Whoops sorry stuck in a timewarp here! best get back to my Scammell Routeman and pull a few loads of muckaway! a real money earning workhorse :exclamation: :laughing:

We have scania Volvo and merc skip trucks with hyva tipping gear .Although they all have pros and cons the scanias are the best all rounders.

Daf lf all the way cab is narrower you also sit a bit higher up in the lf so vision very good been running a 53 plate 55-220 for 5 years and would buy the same again :smiley:

The Axor is the best lorry by far, but the dealers are not so good, if you have somebody reliable to look after it for you I would snap that Merc up asap :wink:

Tipper Tom:

And pay over the odds for Volvo that have starting issues that volvo can’t fix :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Personally I think all trucks are much the same ,they all have problems
If DAF where that bad wouldn’t the people who buy them have caught on to how bad they are by now and spent even more on a so called quality marque…Unfortunately cheap isn’t always nasty…I wouldn’t say anything I own is the best on the arket be it a tv or whatever ,but it all works and does what it says on the box…I find the people who say comments like such as buy cheap buy twice are justifying their purchases…When I work on Volvos ,their air driers constanty failed ,radiator rotted , A frame ball joints constantly failed, stub ins didn’t last ,exhaust manifold bolts constantly shearing ,I could go on ,but as I said earlier all manufacturers have issues,.Some people can be blinded by loyalty and not see the issues…And I know DAF have issues ,I see them every day :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

sorry folks posted last reply twice

mucker85:

norb:

The narrower cab is for people who mainly spend their time on narrower roads…The op asked a question was just giving him as best an answer as possible to assist him

splitshift:
Leyland Clydesdale,Bedford KM,Ford D1000? Whoops sorry stuck in a timewarp here! best get back to my Scammell Routeman and pull a few loads of muckaway! a real money earning workhorse :exclamation: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: like that made me laugh…and none of them had electronics or where banned from anywhere due to emissions

ok guys, thank for replies so far,

I’ve seen that CF65 and it feels quite big inside and outside. LF feels more suitable for narror streets in London.

I’m going to see LF tomorrow in good price 06plate, which I could buy for cash, but it’s already done 360k km.

I’d prefer other one I found with low milage(140-190k km), but they are over 20k+vat and now I have to wait for yes/no from finance company

norb:

Tipper Tom:

And pay over the odds for Volvo that have starting issues that volvo can’t fix :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Personally I think all trucks are much the same ,they all have problems
If DAF where that bad wouldn’t the people who buy them have caught on to how bad they are by now and spent even more on a so called quality marque…Unfortunately cheap isn’t always nasty…I wouldn’t say anything I own is the best on the arket be it a tv or whatever ,but it all works and does what it says on the box…I find the people who say comments like such as buy cheap buy twice are justifying their purchases…When I work on Volvos ,their air driers constanty failed ,radiator rotted , A frame ball joints constantly failed, stub ins didn’t last ,exhaust manifold bolts constantly shearing ,I could go on ,but as I said earlier all manufacturers have issues,.Some people can be blinded by loyalty and not see the issues…And I know DAF have issues ,I see them every day :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Once you’ve cut the outer sheaf off the wiring loom. :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

DAF are popular because they’re cheap. As my old nan used to say. Buy cheap, buy twice

norb:

mucker85:

norb:

I’ve never driven a truck with a cab wider than the body. If the cab fits through the body will.

The narrower cab is for people who mainly spend their time on narrower roads…The op asked a question was just giving him as best an answer as possible to assist him

personally I wouldn’t buy a Volvo unless it be a small one FL6
Scania over priced

Man’s don’t seem to like being sat idle, and mpg not good on local

I don’t like Merc’s but they do seem to do well in the skip industry
I do like Daf’s they are pretty good, reliable as any other mpg good as long as you don’t boot it, cheaper spares, easy to work on.

If I was driving it would be the Daf if someone else driving then whichever looked the best motor between Daf & Merc.