18t MGW Weight Limit - A415 Newbridge

Hi all,

Im new to the forum so first of all a big hello to all fellow truckers out there.

I’m after a bit of advice. I made a bit of a boo boo yesterday. After tipping in Tesco Didcot i was asked to complete a collection in Witney. I Looked at my map and picked out the A415 through Newbridge as my route. Along the route i saw the signs saying 18ton MGW due to a weak bridge. Being an empty artic i new i weighed no more than 13 ton so proceeded on this route.

I have now been informed the sign is for plated weight not the weight the vehicle is currently at. So i shouldn’t have used that route. I’ve also been told there are cameras on the route which will have picked me up using it when i shouldn’t have been.

IS it worth my while contacting Oxford council admitting my mistake trying to rectify my situation before a fine is issued?.
Also what is the fine and is it endorsable?. Or should i just keep quiet and hope i went un noticed.

I wont ever use that route again and admit my ignorance with regards to not understanding the true meaning of MGW.

Any advice on what best to do now?

turn&burn:
IS it worth my while contacting Oxford council admitting my mistake trying to rectify my situation before a fine is issued?.
Also what is the fine and is it endorsable?. Or should i just keep quiet and hope i went un noticed.

I would do the keeping quiet thing personally, as far as I’m aware it is an absolute offence anyway so you can’t get out of it by claiming mitigating circumstances so either way you’ll be paying it so you might as well just hope you weren’t spotted.

I could be wrong but I think it is normally a 60quid/3points job. I’m sure someone who knows better will be along soon to confirm either way though.

Paul

TS50 Failing to comply with traffic sign (excluding ‘stop’ signs, traffic lights or double white lines) 3 penalty points
direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/dr … g_10022425

I agree with repton, keep quiet and see what happens :wink:

I don’t believe you’ll get any points on your licence for this one, even if spotted. In addition to ROG’s specific instances, transgressing a height prohibition sign is technically more serious and would attract points as you would possibly be stuck at the time!

Snudger:
I don’t believe you’ll get any points on your licence for this one, even if spotted.

Nor do I although I realise the link posted seems to contradict me. There is nothing to be gained by contacting them so you’re better off hoping you weren’t spotted.

there are cameras on the pubs both sides so your nicked dont try and plead you were in the wrong
any 18 tonnes limit you dont go into with an artic plenty of signs

Drivers fined for breaching bridge weight limit
By Herald Reporter »
EIGHT lorry drivers have been fined for flouting the 18-tonne weight restriction on a fragile bridge near Abingdon.

Oxfordshire County Council’s trading standards team brought the prosecutions following surveillance at the 13th-century bridge at Newbridge, near Standlake, where the A415 crosses the River Thames.

And drivers are being warned that further surveillance work will be carried out at the bridge by trading standards officers.

Banbury magistrates heard that on a number of days in October last year, the goods vehicles were seen breaching the 18-tonne weight restriction.

Eight drivers, who all pleaded guilty by post, were ordered to pay fines and costs, totalling £3,575, with the highest individual fine of £500 imposed on the driver of an articulated lorry with a plated weight of 44 tonnes.

Nigel Strick, head of trading standards, said: "These laws are put in place for a good reason. Newbridge is in serious danger from the structural damage caused by heavy vehicles and we will do all we can to make sure they are not flouted.

“The exercise in that area and others within Oxfordshire is a sign of things to come. Drivers need to understand that the 18-tonne limit applies to the vehicle’s plated weight and it makes no difference if it is unladen.”

Judith Heathcoat, the council’s cabinet member for community safety, said: "The quality of life of people who live close to busy roads can be badly affected by large vehicles thundering past their homes.

"This is especially the case when the bridge carrying the road in question has a weight restriction in force that bars many of the heavier vehicles from using it.

“Those who break these laws need to know that we will be around to watch what is happening and they run the risk of being caught.”

County engineers believe the best option is a new bridge west of the structure and the council has given the go-ahead to buy the land.

The drivers fined were: James Thomas, 62, of Tamworth, Staffordshire, fined £500 plus £125 court costs Michael Wentworth, 45, of Spencers Close, Stanford in the Vale, fined £400 plus £125 costs Wayne Saunders, 36, of Cheltenham, fined £325 plus £125 costs John Hehir, 37, of Oldbury, west Midlands, fined £325 plus £125 costs Timothy Haynes, 26, of Chipping Camden, fined £200 plus £125 costs Mathew Emms, 32, of Broadway, Worcestershire, fined £300 plus £125 costs Craig Devoe, 36, of Basingstoke, fined £265 Robert Cook, 39, of Swindon, fined £265 plus £125 costs.

@ pigpen
Do you really think it’s appropriate or necessary to post on this forum a list of the names and addresses of the people who have been fined :unamused:

And no I’m not one of them before anyone asks :laughing:

Great, well judging by what ive read im in deep [zb] then.
Like i said my nativity with regards to not understanding MGW meaning plated weight will probably cost me dearly!. I’ll keep you posted on my outcome.

If a summons / fine is on the way is it treated the same as a speeding fine as in 21 days to be issued?.

Thanks for all your replies even though it hasn’t made pleasant reading for me. :frowning:

all the names came from oxfordmail newspaper for all to see
maybe the drivers are stupid enought to break the weight limit i am not
try opening your eyes and dont break the law

turn&burn:
If a summons / fine is on the way is it treated the same as a speeding fine as in 21 days to be issued?.

Not sure but if it is it’s within 14 days not 21.

These are the rules.

motordefenceteam.co.uk:
Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) Guide

The most common instance where Notice is served is an NIP for speeding. However, the following offences require you to be given notice of intended prosecution:

1 Dangerous or careless driving/cycling
2 Speeding
3 Leaving a vehicle in a dangerous place
4 Failing to conform with the indication of a police officer directing traffic or with a traffic sign

How is a notice of intended prosecution given?

There is an NIP time limit that applies of 14 days from the offence. However, how this is calculated will depend on how the notice is given. It can be:

1 given verbally at the time of the offence (i.e. you are stopped by the police and they inform you they are considering prosecuting), or
2 by a formal notice of intended prosecution within 14 days of the offence at the last known address, served on the offender or the registered keeper of the vehicle, or
3 by a summons being served on the offender within 14 days of commission of the offence.

Failure to give proper notice of intended prosecution is a Defence unless an exception applies (see below). You should always keep the envelope the NIP came in as proof of when it was posted.

What if I have not heard anything within 14 days?

The obligation on the prosecution is to show they served the Notice of Intended Prosecution 14 days or less from the offence. The day of the offence is not counted in the calculation. They do not have to show you actually received it, so the general rule that post is deemed to be served 2 days after posting applies. If you move house or buy a vehicle and do not register the change of details with the DVLA then the notice will go to the wrong address. As it was due to your default it does not invalidate the notice. Also, if you were driving a company or hire car the notice is sent to the company or hire company. It can be weeks, if not months, before you find out about it but again this does not invalidate the notice.

Exceptions
Notice of intended prosecution is not required where
1 a full or provisional fixed penalty notice has been given or fixed; or
2 if you were knowingly involved in an accident at the time
If the notice of intended prosecution is received late it may still be valid and you should seek advice on this.
There is also an exemption where the police could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained the name and address of the accused in time for service of the summons or notice within the 14 day period.

The postal NIP is intended for cases such as this, where the alleged offender is not seen or spoken to at the time of the alleged offence and must therefore be informed within 14 days that a prosecution is being considered.

Regards,
Nick

Don’t they teach you this stuff during your training■■?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Like Corporal Jones said; They don’t like it up em!

A FOOD firm has been fined more than £3,000 after its lorries broke weight restrictions and used an historic bridge.

Derbyshire County Council prosecuted JJ Food Service Limited, of Solar Way, Enfield, Middlesex, for breaking the weight restrictions at Swarkestone Causeway, Swarkestone.

The bridge is a scheduled ancient monument and is covered by a 7.5-tonne weight restriction to protect it from damage.

The authority said the company had broken the weight restrictions three times. On all occasions the vehicles had a maximum gross weight of 17.8 tonnes — more than double the legal limit.

The case against JJ Food Services Limited was heard at Derby Magistrates Court. The firm was fined a total of £3,000 after admitting the charges by letter and was ordered to pay court costs of £115.

Well considering we’ve just had 3 bank hold it could be quite some time before the notice gets to my employer then to me.

turn&burn:
Well considering we’ve just had 3 bank hold it could be quite some time before the notice gets to my employer then to me.

In your favour:

You can but hope that there must be an increased chance of any NIP not arriving in time due the bank hols - fingers crossed for a few days more that they’ve been deluged with miscreants - I’ve been in this position (flashed by a red light camera) which would’ve been 3 points - nothing happened after 2 weeks wondering (thankfully), but you are more careful afterwards;
Maybe the cameras weren’t functioning;
You can work out how much you might have to pay (based on weight apparently) and so can start saving!

Not in your favour: there are cameras monitoring the bridge.

Always seems somewhat off that an unladen artic might be lighter (and so do less damage) than an 18 tonner but them’s the rules.

As for the Swarkestone bridge, looks interesting, never been over it but was annoyed the first time had to go to Budgens in Melbourne (from Nottingham via the A50 is it?) only to find that sign (and that there seem to be 7.5t limits on every approach only for it to say “except for loading” as you pass by).

HI all,

Me again. Just a quick update on the above misdemena.

So far i have heard nothing. I’m still worried there is a NIP on route. The day in question was 1st June which is now 17 days ago.

Does this 14 day rule definitely apply to weight limit prosecution and is the 14 days working days or actual days passed. With the bank holidays at the start of June and the weekend days, im counting today as working day 9.

At what point should i relax and feel i may have got away with it?.

Whatever happens i definitely wont be doing it again. Ive been sick with worry since the day in question… :neutral_face:

tachograph:
@ pigpen
Do you really think it’s appropriate or necessary to post on this forum a list of the names and addresses of the people who have been fined :unamused:

And no I’m not one of them before anyone asks :laughing:

the list of names look like they were already reported by The Herald Reporter. :stuck_out_tongue:

turn&burn:
Great, well judging by what ive read im in deep [zb] then.
Like i said my nativity with regards to not understanding MGW meaning plated weight will probably cost me dearly!. I’ll keep you posted on my outcome.

Thanks for all your replies even though it hasn’t made pleasant reading for me. :frowning:

Claiming your mother was a virgin isn’t going to help your case in court :wink:

turn&burn:
Does this 14 day rule definitely apply to weight limit prosecution and is the 14 days working days or actual days passed.

This rule only applies to the first NIP to the registered keeper and not subsequent NIPs which have no time limit.