18 year olds

I was under the impression that 18 years people could all ready drive HGV.

and 18 year old can drive a bus or coach provided they don’t go more than 36 miles (50 k) apparently

They can change the law to remove the distance limitation if they like, but we all know that in practical terms its the insurers who have the last word

i have never understood the 2 year rule for insurance purposes im sure we all know people that have more experience than that but would get the gold medal for demolition derby and drive around like the road is solely theirs but thats ok. However someone that has less than 2 years driving hgv but has 10 year perfect record of driving a car cant work there

the last training / assessment day i did one guy had 6 points on his license but you had to have 2 years experience to qualify

Insurers rely a lot on statistical risk analysis, so if the numbers indicate two years is a relevant risk factor, that’s what they’ll use, if it were one year or three years they would use one of those instead. I doubt there’s much thought goes into it, just maths leading to the risk factor they’re prepared to accept.