18 cant get work!

got my class 1 cpc done last year and i cant get work because no one can insure me. i cant get experience because i cant get a job and cant get a job because i cant get experience lol its stupid to me that someone who does their class one at 50 who has no more experience than me can get a job but i cant? and yes i know statistics say young drivers are more likely to crash but they can still get insured on a car after they do their test and they dont need any experience? been trying flat out all over northern ireland for a job for a month and still no luck can anyone help me? :slight_smile: i was even offering to pay for some of the insurance myself lol thank you.

Driving your own personal car vs driving someone else’s rather expensive lorry is why you can get insured on a car with no experience and not on a larger, heavier more (in some people’s eyes, car still as deadly)dangerous vehicle.

It’s not a new problem and will always be a problem.

Having said that, there is usually someone willing to give a young gun a shot but that’s over here in the UK. You just have to keep trying to get that break.

Could you try south of the border or do you need to be 21 for a ROI licence? Just thinking likes of Nolans maybe worth trying. Mcculla, Sawyers. Sure you’ve tried them though.

A new pass class 1 aged 50 will still struggle because of no experience. Its an insurance stipulation. But your young age of 18 is really going to work against you. Its not your fault. I dont know your driving skill or how good you are behind the wheel but you’ve only been driving on the road for just over a year at max. You not only have little truck driving experience (and im assuming you went from class2 and almost straight away went for class 1) but you have very little car driving experience too. Its a fault with the way the law is set up. But its going to be hard to convince prospective employers your worthy of a chance and different from the 18 yr old boy racers. Best you can do is keep plugging away and enquiring at every company you can see till someone bites im afraid

Just an idea. Maybe post on the main forum. There’s some that work for NI and ROI hauliers on here. Maybe they’d be willing to ask their outfits for you? Don’t see why they wouldn’t. Everyone needs a start. As you prob know, most threads on the main forum degenerate into arguing amongst certain people. Don’t let that put you off :grimacing:

Thanks for your opinions and ideas! Luckily enough for me I got a start driving a tipper here throughout Northern Ireland :smiley: taking it easy on the roads and going by the book. Also learning a lot about the trucks of the trade from the other drivers :smiley: couldn’t be happier getting experience and a decent wage lol and the employer had no trouble with insuring me! So I don’t have to fork out to pay any of it :smiley: thanks again for the help!

RMC:
Thanks for your opinions and ideas! Luckily enough for me I got a start driving a tipper here throughout Northern Ireland :smiley: taking it easy on the roads and going by the book. Also learning a lot about the trucks of the trade from the other drivers :smiley: couldn’t be happier getting experience and a decent wage lol and the employer had no trouble with insuring me! So I don’t have to fork out to pay any of it :smiley: thanks again for the help!

That’s great news for you mate. Hope all goes well. Just take it easy and prove to every1 that not every 18yo is the same.

Good luck

RMC:
got my class 1 cpc done last year and i cant get work because no one can insure me. i cant get experience because i cant get a job and cant get a job because i cant get experience lol its stupid to me that someone who does their class one at 50 who has no more experience than me can get a job but i cant? and yes i know statistics say young drivers are more likely to crash but they can still get insured on a car after they do their test and they dont need any experience? been trying flat out all over northern ireland for a job for a month and still no luck can anyone help me? :slight_smile: i was even offering to pay for some of the insurance myself lol thank you.

I remember a long time ago when I was your age :blush:

I took my class 1 nice and early like you, however no one would ‘entertain’ employing me for same issues…

just like you at the end I took jobs with smaller vehicles, it was for a temp agency.

Some of the customers absolutely loved me, back then girls were not seen as often driving trucks/lorries. They did not like me only for this reason (ie: the ‘originality’ of it) but of course for being on time, driving well, keeping accurate paperwork and being generally a good worker with a pleasant personality.

It gave me time behind the wheel, in time I was then offered (finally) a job night trunking and I LOVED IT.

Yes I 'did screw-up on this on my first day out (well…night out), having been driving smaller vehicles for a while I forgot how much taller this thing was :laughing:

I happily set out on my trip without taking mental note of its height and not planning my route according to it…heading towards the blackwall tunnel…
went past a warning sign about height and thought ‘S**T what is the height of this thing?’, I started looking for the height on the roof/dashboard as many vehicles have it written there…nope, nothing, then looked for an exit, better to exit if in doubt…HOOOPS just past it!!! next thing you know BANG I hit the overhead chimes which warn about the height being too much!!! Blackwall tunnel was in front of me, I had ‘no’ intention whether with warning chimes or not to try and fit into it, even without the warning no way I’d risk such thing, but still…

police got the warning and came to me (I stopped of course before they arrived), I thanked them for coming to rescue me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: as I needed help in reversing the thing out of there :stuck_out_tongue:

only they were there to give me the penalty note not to rescue me HAHAHAHAHA

they were very nice though, they said I learnt my lesson but as the chimes went off the call gets ‘recorded’ and they HAD to give me the notice or they would get told off :smiley:

I ended up going to court, I was young-ish and I found it scary :open_mouth: I got 3 points on my licence back then, never had any points since I hope to keep behaving in future :wink:

Good luck, I wish my son wanted to be a trucker (he’s 19), I told him many times I’d happily help him out and we could share the driving too, but he’s not into it at all.

Can’t get a class one driving job eh ?..CATCH 22 !!..YOU CAN HAVE MINE IN TWO YEARS when I retire thank God !! :laughing:

Wait 2 years you will get job with no experience but insurance company will think you got experience I did that with a agency .told agency I had no experience of driving c1 he said 2 on licence wink mad world

2 years of wasting the time. Within 2 years you can achieve pretty much experience. Is there intelligence in this industry at all?