18/26 ton????

Anyone know if there is much difference in running cost between an 18t and a 26t rigid? I think I’m right in saying the VED is the same for both (£650 per year) but what about the MPG for both and would the extra payload make it worth while for that odd job where you might need it.

Hi we run 2 trucks a daf lf 55 220 and a daf cf 75 310 we need the payload of the six wheeler a couple of times a week we find the cf about 1.5 mpg behind the lf on average tyres on the tag seem to last well so not really an issue biggest drawback is six wheelers a lot dearer to buy and front axle easy to overload

6-leggers, particularly 6x4’s are much harder on tyres (fronts and rears with extra scrubbing).

My 6x4 (tipper) does 9-9.5mpg, my mates 4x2 tipper does about 12-13mpg. Dunno the differences in VED or insurance.

The rigid truck would be a fridge so I guess I would need to keep an eye on the front axle for overloading

If you bought a tag axle 6x2 and ran mostly at 18t or under with the tag raised then the mpg surely would be similar. A 4x2 and 6x2 tag would not be massively different in weight. The extra capacity is there if you need it but you can keep the axle raised and have less drag and tyre wear. Purchase cost would be the decider I reckon.