15 minute rule

I’ve been doing multi drop for quite a few years now…most drops are no problem but there are some where I have been made to feel that I’m a nuisance…delivery or drop it doesn’t matter but I have been given the impression that I am somehow disturbing the day of the warehouse staff or whoever.

So I have designed a card …business card size… I write the time of arrival and the time of intended departure…any attitude or or stupidity then I hand them the card.

Comments like…
It’s break time…
It’ll be couple of minutes for us to do the paperwork.
Just need to shrink wrap and band it…
No one told us it was being collected today…
You’ll have to wait for us to tip 2 arctics…

They get a card…used it 4 times this week…it worked every time.

sounds like a good idea , if it gets you away . but what if they call your bluff as it were and you pull out,what are you gonna do with the load ■■?

I always find the bigger the place the more you get messed about. It’s why I much prefer delivering to say a family firm because to them getting their stuff matters.

Having said that the other day my firm were trying to pull me out of somewhere when I’d only been there 15 mins and I had to tell them to chill out and let them change the gas bottle on the forklift lol

Ive also done quite a bit of multi for various companies. They all insist that you ring the office if youre waiting for +15mins. They then have to say either stay with it or come out, so I dont see what the problem is. Theres plenty wrong with the multi drop job, but that’s not a problem.

BUT, it seems as though some companies are reacting to them being taken the pi55 out of, for too long warehouses have held many of us to ransom, having to wait hours even for a couple of pallets is not acceptable, especially when your the only lorry there, so i say good for them, only problem is, what do you do with the load miles away from your own depot, otherwise its back to there, drop the trailer, and charge them demurrage or storage, and only release the goods when you have been paid, sounds like a good system to me, well on paper but in reality, it doesnt work, the supplier will threaten you with no more work, the receiver will ban you from their sites, which is why not many are adhering to the demurrage rules, and that should be after a 1 hour delay in my opinion, as they say…Time is money.

A boss i worked for did just that, was approaching xmas, i got a phone call, there was an urgent load to be collected from france, it had to be delivered within 2 days, and there was £50 in it for me…so ripped my guts apart and arrived at Tesco Northampton with this urgent load…well it seems that they wasnt that interested. First port of call was the gatehouse, where little hitler told me i was too early, and to go back outside, i refused…told him to phone Mr Superior, who knew all about it, and would sort it it as it was urgent…right…wrong…he said i had to comply with Mr hitler…so i refused to move and asked for a bay…eventually after causing a stir, i was told to back onto bay 20 ( or whatever )…and someone would come to me and ask me to open the doors…2 hours went by, and i phoned the boss…he said give it another hour…so i did…he told me to pull out, so as i approached the gatehouse, with the barrier down, mr hitler said i couldnt leave…so i phoned the boss…he said…turn around and reverse through the barrier, as they couldnt hold me against my will. So with barrier on the floor, i moved forward, turned around, and proceeded to pull out…and parked up, men in suits arrived, then the police arrived, and wanted my details for criminal damage. Once i had explained the situation, they let me go, so i phoned the boss, and he said to bring the load back to the yard…where it stayed till the new year, until a large bill for storage had been paid, and their own vehicle came to collect it, we never did get to do any more work for Tesco, but i did get my £50…if only more companies had bosses like that, we wouldnt get held up for so long.

Heisenberrg:
I’ve been doing multi drop for quite a few years now…most drops are no problem but there are some where I have been made to feel that I’m a nuisance…delivery or drop it doesn’t matter but I have been given the impression that I am somehow disturbing the day of the warehouse staff or whoever.

So I have designed a card …business card size… I write the time of arrival and the time of intended departure…any attitude or or stupidity then I hand them the card.

Comments like…
It’s break time…
It’ll be couple of minutes for us to do the paperwork.
Just need to shrink wrap and band it…
No one told us it was being collected today…
You’ll have to wait for us to tip 2 arctics…

They get a card…used it 4 times this week…it worked every time.

I prefer the approach quoted recently (I forget who said it, sorry!) where if they say there will be any delay, you say “I get paid by the hour, so no problem, time is money on this job!” :laughing:

On a serious note, I don’t see it as my problem to enforce a particular pace of work or level of staffing on a site, and no example springs to mind where a delay has been inflicted on me without good reason or for malicious reasons.

Site staff taking a scheduled break is as good a reason for delay as it would be if I had to take a scheduled break on the road.

Civil and sensible communication always seems to do the trick if things seem to be out of order.

truckyboy:
sounds like a good system to me, well on paper but in reality, it doesnt work, the supplier will threaten you with no more work, the receiver will ban you from their sites, which is why not many are adhering to the demurrage rules, and that should be after a 1 hour delay in my opinion, as they say…Time is money.

If I was running a haulage company then I’d be quite happy not to do deliveries to that kind of spot any more because of how much it was costing me. With the wages you’re paying and the loss of potential income from a job you can’t do whilst your lorry is sat waiting at a RDC for 4 hrs to get tipped you can see all the profit of the job go down the drain so you would be better off just not doing it at all and saving on the wear and tear. At one place I worked for driving off Hull Docks shifting paper and timber for Finanglia and UPM Kymenne if you got stuck for 4hrs at one place in the morning that could be your afternoon job lost and given to another haulier if there was one available.

youtu.be/gACCCmFKP80

I too, like many are paid by the hour, and our gaffer pays us for our breaks, so there is no need to take the ■■■■. I do like to give people some time to organise themselves, as they may not be expecting my delivery, however, if I feel that THEY are taking the ■■■■, then I put the problem back to the customer, as we deal with them directly and I don’t want them to seem like I am tossing it off. I find that keeping them in the loop, means they are more likely to leave you to get on with it.

Ken.