15 minute check

after doing some of the cpc coarse.we was told that you have to do 15 mins of checks,with digi card in,or tacho.without moving vehicle.sometimes leave before 15 mins.doe’s anyone know,how strict are vosa on this? :unamused:

I have only been stopped by vosa once and the only things they pulled me up on were an air leak on the trailer (which u wouldn’t hear unless u were under it by the way lol) and puttin card in and only havin a couple of mins checks… He was decent though and I explained I was out all week in the same truck blah blah… And tbf he was ok, and told me in the future always make sure I show 10/15 mins before I start to drive so I guess they can be as leanent or as strict as they please about the matter, but since then I have always showed 10mins on card before I drive… Safe that way I guess!

ty for that jarvo.i try to do 15 mins every time.just checking :grimacing:

My company like to see this on the taco , so the usual walk round lights tyres ect then 10 mins sitting on my jacksy … This morning I had to top up the coolant took me an extra 2 mins :open_mouth:

As with everything to do with VOSA it depends on the person who stops you, and as you never know until it actually happens, it is always advisable to have your walk-round time shown on the tacho because if it isn’t then, as far as anyone checking is concerned, it either hasn’t been done or you are falsifying your records by not showing the time taken - either way you are open to further hassle.

tallyman:
it is always advisable to have your walk-round time shown on the tacho because if it isn’t then, as far as anyone checking is concerned, it either hasn’t been done or you are falsifying your records by not showing the time taken - either way you are open to further hassle.

+1

SYE-1:
My company like to see this on the taco , so the usual walk round lights tyres ect then 10 mins sitting on my jacksy … This morning I had to top up the coolant took me an extra 2 mins :open_mouth:

Its company policy to observe 15 at several yards I go to, 5-10 for checks & additional stuff.
Then the rest allows time for a coffee & chat with other drivers.
The only real issue it may cause me (not that I care), is IF Im planned on a long run to a delivery point from the north heading down south which involves the M25, or anywhere else that may be congested, which is close to a 4hr run. Not only will I have to stand for the 1st 15, Ill then have to go pick up the trailer on site, or wait for loading etc and all of these things before Ive even got out of the yard are chipping away at my duty time, & may run me close to the RTD/WTD 6hr rule or result in me having a night out. but as Im hourly paid I take it as it comes

don’t think I’ve shown a 15min walk round in the past 2 years :open_mouth:

I try my best to get at least 40 mins and I’ve been known to push it to a full hour :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Goodness me how long does it take to count that I still have 14 wheels and the lights still light up and my 5th wheel is still attached I think 5 mins when on same unit & trailer all week is about right on a cold wet morning

Tbh the very thing I do is sort my card out, stick it on other work then start sorting paperwork and my kit, then check the truck, by that time 10/15 has easily passed.

jaygrc:
after doing some of the cpc coarse.we was told that you have to do 15 mins of checks,with digi card in,or tacho.without moving vehicle.sometimes leave before 15 mins.doe’s anyone know,how strict are vosa on this? :unamused:

You may be asked to prove you did your daily checks and paperwork prior to setting off. Unless you can show enough “other work” before setting off, how can you?

malcolmj:
Goodness me how long does it take to count that I still have 14 wheels and the lights still light up and my 5th wheel is still attached I think 5 mins when on same unit & trailer all week is about right on a cold wet morning

Well one night I parked up and doing the walk around the following morning even though I had the keys in my pocket, I found a drive axle tyres with nearly all of the tread missing. I guess you wouldn’t have.

jaygrc:
after doing some of the cpc coarse.we was told that you have to do 15 mins of checks

Another dcpc trainer who does not seem to know the law !!

Its about time some sort of compulsory course content checks are done for dcpc courses that are not already covered by an official body

ROG:

jaygrc:
after doing some of the cpc coarse.we was told that you have to do 15 mins of checks

Another dcpc trainer who does not seem to know the law !

I agree.

There’s no law that says you have to spend 15 minutes doing vehicle checks and any DCPC trainer who says there is should be crossed of JAUPTs approved list.

Some of these DCPC trainers are making it up as they go, and yet people still say the DCPC compulsory training attendance is necessary :unamused:

ROG:

jaygrc:

Its about time some sort of compulsory course content checks are done for dcpc courses that are not already covered by an official body

i dont see where it said anything in op about it being law vosa expect minimum 15 min check so

JJ192:

ROG:

jaygrc:

i dont see where it said anything in op about it being law vosa expect minimum 15 min check so

VOSA might LIKE to see it but the OP stated that the Dcpc trainer said YOU HAVE TO DO which infers it is a legal requirement

I personally do the checks before I even think about leaving - I then insert the card or press other work and fill in the defect book - and then leave
So as said the law doesn’t state you have to spend any time doing it but its good practise - and where they get 15 minutes from i’ll never know a good visual check takes no more than 2 minutes - tyres , lights, 5th wheel clip , suzies , fuel cap , ad blu cap - wipers jobs a good un
That 15 minutes could be the difference between getting to your comfort stop for your night out or a noisy layby -
cheers
Steve

Nobody mentioned it being a legal requirement until ROG added the ‘law’ bit.

It’s purely common sense. Every new driver is taught to do a vehicle check before going out on the road, it is a part of any induction with a company, and it is the driver’s responsibility to make sure the vehicle they are driving is legal to be on the road. So the initial check of the vehicle, which is part of the driver’s job and so is included in ‘other work’, needs to be shown as done. If the tacho goes in and the vehicle is immediately moved then it just gives VOSA another opportunity to give the driver some grief.

As far as the DCPC is concerned, one of the courses I went on was entitled ‘how to keep your licence’ and this was one of the points brought up in that, so I would suggest that the trainer has a valid point in passing on the information.

as long as you show a reasonable time that should be it.
Mondays check will take longer than Fridays
plus add time for the trailer

I agree that it makes sense to show some time for vehicle checks, but at-least one company I work at insist on you showing 10 minutes and even that’s the companies policy not VOSAs.

It’s not the job of DCPC trainers to make up rules just because they think it’s a good idea.

The legal inference came in the OP where it said HAVE TO because if you HAVE TO do something then that means a rule or law says so