15 hour rule

hi guys,
i have recently started working for a container company…after speaking to one of their drivers apparently you can do 15 hour days all week as long as you have had a 3 hours continuous un interrupted break. is this true??

many thanks

Look up split daily rest :wink:

Ah. The Maritime rule.

jimmypk:
hi guys,
i have recently started working for a container company…after speaking to one of their drivers apparently you can do 15 hour days all week as long as you have had a 3 hours continuous un interrupted break. is this true??

many thanks

It is true yes.So get ready for some long days.

jimmypk:
hi guys,

many thanks

A split daily rest period is when you have a rest period of at-least three consecutive hours during the shift, the second part of the daily rest period must be at-least nine hours and must be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift.

A split daily rest period does not count as a reduced daily rest period, so yes you can do a 15 hour spread-over every working day if you can have a 3 hour rest period during the shift.

yes .yes.drivers can work everyday 15 h shift.drivers can work 12 day without rest

Dear Lord, little wonder the roads are littered with accident debris and tragic stains, its not 1963 any more chaps, 80 hour weeks and the resulting zombie behind the wheel should be confined, like Matthew Hopkin, to the horrors of medievil history.

Ah another boohoo about long days

waynedl:

Alternatively, a driver can split a regular daily rest period into two periods. The first period must be at least 3 hours of uninterrupted rest and can be taken at any time during the day. The second must be at least 9 hours of uninterrupted rest, giving a total minimum rest of 12 hours.So under this rule you can only do a twelve hour day.

Driving+other work+POA+breaks = 12hr

3hr min rest + 9hr min rest = 12hr

All adds up to 24hrs

leemartin68:

waynedl:

Alternatively, a driver can split a regular daily rest period into two periods. The first period must be at least 3 hours of uninterrupted rest and can be taken at any time during the day. The second must be at least 9 hours of uninterrupted rest, giving a total minimum rest of 12 hours.So under this rule you can only do a twelve hour day.

All adds up to 24hrs

Correct, but it’s still a 15hr spread :wink:

Work less hours, not more!!!

Juddian:
Dear Lord, little wonder the roads are littered with accident debris and tragic stains, its not 1963 any more chaps, 80 hour weeks and the resulting zombie behind the wheel should be confined, like Matthew Hopkin, to the horrors of medievil history.

Hiya…really its the oppersite Juddian… years ago when we did the big days you could stop and have a kip.
just the other day somone posted they wasn’t alloud to stop between deliveries…agree.
when we was on the book i’d leave home at 3am, after 2hours 15 mins id stop and have a kip for nealy
a hour have a quick cuppa and away. i’d do another 3 hours, tip (tipping work) then another hour have a meal
and another kip and away home, sometime i’d stop for another 20 min power nap.i admit i was always just over
1 hour over my days hours(12 and half) in those days. but i was wide awake. the hour was adjusted in the book.
where as nowadays these routers give you a start time which gives you time to get to your delivery point.
if your a little sleepy you have to drive through the tiredness(or crash) to get to your delivery point on time.
years ago we didn’t have these STUPID booking in times, first their first tipped.PS where i put the times for a
sleep was where the cafe’s was. it was a job we did that was usually done by train, the track was closed for repair
so we did it by road for about 6 weeks,
John

I done 79 hours this week no probs ? What’s the fuss all about

The effect on the WTD directive figures would be interesting. Whilst there have been few, if any, prosecutions under WTD, do you think that if there was nothing left to beat you with say for a serious RTA , they would not do you for this?

3300John:

Juddian:

Hiya…really its the oppersite Juddian… years ago when we did the big days you could stop and have a kip.
just the other day somone posted they wasn’t alloud to stop between deliveries…agree.
when we was on the book i’d leave home at 3am, after 2hours 15 mins id stop and have a kip for nealy
a hour have a quick cuppa and away. i’d do another 3 hours, tip (tipping work) then another hour have a meal
and another kip and away home, sometime i’d stop for another 20 min power nap.i admit i was always just over
1 hour over my days hours(12 and half) in those days. but i was wide awake. the hour was adjusted in the book.
where as nowadays these routers give you a start time which gives you time to get to your delivery point.
if your a little sleepy you have to drive through the tiredness(or crash) to get to your delivery point on time.
years ago we didn’t have these STUPID booking in times, first their first tipped.PS where i put the times for a
sleep was where the cafe’s was. it was a job we did that was usually done by train, the track was closed for repair
so we did it by road for about 6 weeks,
John

Not arguing with you, but we did have a 12.5 hour max working day then, i for one kept to it by and large.

Up to a point the job by its very hands on nature required and attracted the hardier, maybe its was more self regulating then, only those who could cope did the job for any length of time, more able to cope with the hard nature of the job too.

As i said i’m not arguing, just that those days are or should be behind us, yet the modern driver is required to work more hours than ever despite the apparent regulations to stop this (funny how some things get ignored when its unimportant working class people being abused), and some of these modern drivers wouldn’t have had the stamina (nor daft enough :wink: ) to do the graft that the previous generation did day in day out…though maybe were far fitter, you didn’t see the sheer number of lardy arses waddling around lorry parks that you do now…me included… :blush:

Been thinking back to those days, a typical day would be a several drop load down to the south then reload reels out of Samuel Williams Dagenham Dock back home unless you were out in digs, all roping and sheeting, the load down a mixture of fork off and handball, no M25 then and the section of M1 from Hemel to North Circular was two lane, but with an early start you’d still get round OK, worse section was the North Orbital especially from M1 via Watford down via Denham to Slough and round Windsor, then getting out via Southgate and Potter Bar before the afternoon rush hour.

We didn’t get the nodding dog syndrome so much back then i recall.

Smoggie89:

CDM on it’s way! :wink:

DrivingMissDaisy:

Smoggie89:

CDM on it’s way! :wink:

Obviously a lot of it is breaks/poa as I do containers but surely people know the job entails long hours , after all if I’m sleeping in the truck I will always try and do max hours , no point parking up on 10/11/12 hours if you can do 13/15

happysack:

90hrs a week isn’t just long days, at twice the normal working week its ridiculous. You may have no friends or family but most people do and at some point its nice to see them and be able to do things like hold conversations which you’re not going to be that good at doing after a 90hr working week.

Conor:

happysack:

90hrs a week isn’t just long days, at twice the normal working week its ridiculous. You may have no friends or family but most people do and at some point its nice to see them and be able to do things like hold conversations which you’re not going to be that good at doing after a 90hr working week.

Better ask for 2 weeks pay then :wink:

waynedl:

leemartin68:

waynedl:

All adds up to 24hrs

Correct, but it’s still a 15hr spread :wink:

How can it be a 15hr spread? Your “spread” is dictated by your daily rest if your daily rest has to be a minimum of 12 hours (3hrs + 9hrs) then that leaves another 12 hours only for everything else. I’m struggling to see where the other 3 hours comes from?