15 Hour Duty

If i do a 15 hour duty then have an 11 hour rest ie:

Start 4am work till 7pm. Then have 11 hours daily rest to 6am. Is this still seen as a 9 hour reduced daily rest as 24 - 15 only leaves 9 hours. Not sure of the answer heere as some folks say it is a 9 rest and others 11. Can you help.

if you work 15hrs then you only have 9hrs left within the 24hr period from when your shift satrted.

A_A:
Is this still seen as a 9 hour reduced daily rest as 24 - 15 only leaves 9 hours.

It counts as 9h of rest and therefore a reduced daily rest. This is because you have to fit the rest in within a 24h period from the start of your shift so if you do a 15h shift that only leaves 9h to get your rest in.

Paul

A_A:
If i do a 15 hour duty then have an 11 hour rest ie:

Start 4am work till 7pm. Then have 11 hours daily rest to 6am. Is this still seen as a 9 hour reduced daily rest as 24 - 15 only leaves 9 hours. Not sure of the answer heere as some folks say it is a 9 rest and others 11. Can you help.

Welcome to Trucknet-UK A_A :smiley:

The daily rest period has to be within the 24 hour period from the end of the last daily/weekly rest period, in your example only 9 of the 11 hours of rest fall within the 24 hour period so it is a reduced daily rest period of 9 hours.

Page 14 - Drivers hours and tachograph rules

Think of it this way. If your duty time is more than 13 hours, even if it is just 13 hours and 1 minute, you are using a reduced rest regardless of how much rest you actually have before resuming work.

Bloody stupid rule then. So even if i do 13hours 1 min the 11 hours 30 mins i have off after that is still classed as a 9.■■?

If it is this country really gone to the dogs. Is this a WTD thing because i have never come across this until recently?

A_A:
Bloody stupid rule then. So even if i do 13hours 1 min the 11 hours 30 mins i have off after that is still classed as a 9.■■?

Not quite, work 13 hours and 1 minute and you can no longer have 11 hours rest in the 24 therefore you have used a reduced rest. It’s a reduced rest , not a 9, and anything less than 11 hours, even just 1 minute less is one of your three reduced rest periods you are allowed to take between weekly rests. The rules are about the amount of rest you have in 24 hours, not the amount of rest you actually have. If it was about the amount of rest you actually take then you could work 16, 18, 20, 21 or 23 hours for example and then take 11 off.

A_A:
If it is this country really gone to the dogs. Is this a WTD thing because i have never come across this until recently?

Not a WTD thing just a Tacho Regs thing and it has been that way for many years.

If you didn’t know this it makes me wonder why you were stopping at 15 hours duty and not just cracking on? There is absolutely no mention of duty limits in the tacho rules and the 15 only comes about due to the requirement to have at least 9 hours rest in 24.

A_A:

Yes any shift over 13 hours has to leave a reduced daily rest period even if it is only 13 hours and 1 minute, though frankly I’m sure most of us would try to find a way to lose the 1 minute if we wanted to :wink:

Nothing to do with the WTD, it’s the drivers hours and tachograph regulations (EU) 561/2006 which have been in operation for about 4 years now.

The only way round the reduced daily rest thing is if you have a rest period of at least 3 hours during the shift you can then have another rest period of at least 9 hours at the end of the shift and it will not count as a reduced daily rest period, but that means having a total of 12 hours rest and isn’t practical most of the time for most people.
Even with a split daily rest period the last 9 hours has to be within the 24 hour period from start of shift.

tachograph:
Nothing to do with the WTD, it’s the drivers hours and tachograph regulations (EU) 561/2006 which have been in operation for about 4 years now.

And it was the same in (EEC) No 3820/85 which came into force in September 1986 so it has been that way for almost 25 years.

well thanks for clearing it up. Think i will stick to double carding :unamused:

A_A:
well thanks for clearing it up. Think i will stick to double carding :unamused:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: