15.6 Metre trailers

Just a thought now that these are allowed, bringing the length of an artic to 18.5 metres, can you legally connect a Tcab or other bonnetted tractor unit to a 13.6 metre trailer?

Doesnt concern me as I dont think Sainsburys will be getting Tcabs anytime soon, just interested thats all.

My understanding is that the legislation only affects the length of the tralier. I dont think it mentions the cab at all. But I havn’t seen it so I could be wrong.

I don’t think it’s actually law allowing longer trailers, it’s a 10 year trail period and you have to apply to run them. Of course by making it a 10 year trail, it’s really a sneaky way of getting them in without load of headlines from the normal scare mongering media outlets with headlines like “EU allow homosexual asylum seekers on benefits to drive bigger heavier killer juggernauts on UK roads, house prices will be forced down” :laughing: I think that covers most of their prejudices. :imp:

muckles:
I don’t think it’s actually law allowing longer trailers, it’s a 10 year trail period and you have to apply to run them. Of course by making it a 10 year trail, it’s really a sneaky way of getting them in without load of headlines from the normal scare mongering media outlets with headlines like “EU allow homosexual asylum seekers on benefits to drive bigger heavier killer juggernauts on UK roads, house prices will be forced down” :laughing: I think that covers most of their prejudices. :imp:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Thats as may be Muckles but you cant run a longer tractor unit as the extra length applies only to the trailer

A driver at our place had a run involving a “long” trailer. He was given the keys to one of the older motors (54/55 plate cf).
He asked if he could have a “new” motor (59/60 plate cf AUTO)

“why” asked the coordinator,

“I’ve got too much to worry about with the long trailer, I haven’t got time to think about changing gear as well” replied the driver.

Priceless :laughing: :laughing:

redboxer850:
A driver at our place had a run involving a “long” trailer. He was given the keys to one of the older motors (54/55 plate cf).
He asked if he could have a “new” motor (59/60 plate cf AUTO)

“why” asked the coordinator,

“I’ve got too much to worry about with the long trailer, I haven’t got time to think about changing gear as well” replied the driver.

Priceless :laughing: :laughing:

At which point I’d make sure he drove nothing bigger than the machine for cleaning the floor!

do vosa turn blind eye to tcabs with normal trailers, seem to see quite a few about. saw one other day near warwick, black shiny tcab looked brand new?? haulin a taut with black yellow and green (i think) cheq squares on the trailer, black background,. someone said on here one of the farly well know haulage companies blue red colours, forget the name runs a tcab with special trailer thats been shortened. doesnt that company that mr vain works for have one? also seen on running up and down a14 with a low loader on but think thats a volvo. they seem popular with the bulk boys to.

is there an actual offence if vosa stop one? whats the fine etc just of of curosity.

Cruise Control:
someone said on here one of the farly well know haulage companies blue red colours, forget the name runs a tcab with special trailer thats been shortened.

Stan Robinson trailer shortened for 24 pallets instead of 26

bugcos:

Cruise Control:
someone said on here one of the farly well know haulage companies blue red colours, forget the name runs a tcab with special trailer thats been shortened.

Stan Robinson trailer shortened for 24 pallets instead of 26

ooh hang on I’ll pull up a sandbag, we will shortly be on to matey who used to run a 24 pallet trailer to Spain & made a profit :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cruise Control:
do vosa turn blind eye to tcabs with normal trailers, seem to see quite a few about. saw one other day near warwick, black shiny tcab looked brand new?? haulin a taut with black yellow and green (i think) cheq squares on the trailer, black background,. someone said on here one of the farly well know haulage companies blue red colours, forget the name runs a tcab with special trailer thats been shortened. doesnt that company that mr vain works for have one? also seen on running up and down a14 with a low loader on but think thats a volvo. they seem popular with the bulk boys to.

is there an actual offence if vosa stop one? whats the fine etc just of of curosity.

As far as I know, VOSA don’t turn a blind eye. But you don’t need a specially shortened trailer, just a 40’er instead of a 45’er. Most of the T cab types I’ve seen have been on tipper or tanker or low loader or box work. Tippers and tankers are often only 40’ or less and box skellies are also only 40’. They can pull 45’ boxes because the box is the load. The load can overhang and 2’ 6" each end isn’t much of an overhang by anyones standards. Low loaders are often extendable, so when closed up are only 40’. They can then be extended up to 60’ to suit an unbreakable long load if needed.
Once you get into STGO, there are different rules. Some rigs are into STGO weights and lengths or widths even when unloaded.

The offence is Over Length. No idea of the level of fines.