13 week checks

I would appreciate it if anyone could answer the following questions. When carrying out 13 week checks is it a legal requirement to use a pit or ramp? What are the legal specifications on facilities? Thanks.

I assume you mean the safety inspection, and at 13 weeks you’ve got the maximum allowed, so I assume you do a very low annual mileage and on easy work.

All the guidance notes say is You may carry out the safety inspections and maintenance work yourself if you employ
someone who is suitably qualified and you have adequate facilities available. So the question you need to ask yourself is can you carry out a proper safety inspection without needing a ramp or pit?

It is going to depend on the type of vehicle/bodywork, which means can you physically get underneath it and see properly what you are supposed to be looking at? This means adequate lighting, which in the case of many dungeon workshops makes a joke of doing it indoors. There is no requirement to have Beamsetters, rollerbrake testers, shaker plates or smoke meters on site. These are available to you under the multi-check system at all testing facilities for regulated fees. You could even submit your vehicle for a Voluntary Full Test each time, although this would not really be keeping a record of minor and developing wear being kept under observation.

We used to have TSO do some of our checks and they’re mobile fitters. We didn’t have ramps or pits so I’d say in answer to your question - no, they’re not required.

at the last rha meeting I attended it was stated that the traffic commissioners will no longer accept safety inspections done without being able to stand under the vehicle, this is to enable the inspection to be carried out as if it was undergoing an mot inspection as this is the minimum standard of safety expected of all vehicles, laying on your back on the floor or on a crawling board will not suffice.

muckles:
I assume you mean the safety inspection, and at 13 weeks you’ve got the maximum allowed, so I assume you do a very low annual mileage and on easy work.

All the guidance notes say is You may carry out the safety inspections and maintenance work yourself if you employ
someone who is suitably qualified and you have adequate facilities available. So the question you need to ask yourself is can you carry out a proper safety inspection without needing a ramp or pit?

Our trucks and trailers average 200-250 000 km yearly and run at three quarter gross weight
Think its more to do with MOT pass rate and PG9s than mileage and weight.
Trailers run at 12 weeks and tractors at 8

Bking:

muckles:

Our trucks and trailers average 200-250 000 km yearly and run at three quarter gross weight
Think its more to do with MOT pass rate and PG9s than mileage and weight.
Trailers run at 12 weeks and tractors at 8

There is a graph done by VOSA (DVSA) showing the advised intervals between inspection periods, depending on type of work and annual mileage. But it is advised periods not set in stone. And I agree if you have a faultless test and road side check record the DVSA aren’t going to be concerned if you’re running at the maximum intervals, But if you’re applying for a new licence you won’t have an annual test pass rate or roadside check record to fall back on.

Taken from DVSA’s Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness - which is, as the name suggests ‘a guide’ - however it covers everything surrounding safety inspections including facilities required to carry them out (page 25):

Facilities should include:

• undercover accommodation for the largest vehicle in the fleet. This is required to ensure
    that safety checks can be conducted satisfactorily in all weathers (depending on fleet size the building may need room for more than one vehicle at a time);
  • tools and equipment appropriate to the size and nature of the fleet;
  • an adequate under-vehicle inspection facility:

It also contains the graph to enable you to establish an appropriate safety inspection frequency. (Annex 4).

Download entire guide from here:
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … hiness.pdf

So, I would say you do require a pit, ramp, hywema’s or some other method of getting underside checked.

Daz1970:
Taken from DVSA’s Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness - which is, as the name suggests ‘a guide’ - however it covers everything surrounding safety inspections including facilities required to carry them out (page 25):

Facilities should include:

1. undercover accommodation for the largest vehicle in the fleet. This is required to ensure
    that safety checks can be conducted satisfactorily in all weathers (depending on fleet size the building may need room for more than one vehicle at a time);
  • tools and equipment appropriate to the size and nature of the fleet;
  • an adequate under-vehicle inspection facility:

It also contains the graph to enable you to establish an appropriate safety inspection frequency. (Annex 4).

Download entire guide from here:
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … hiness.pdf

So, I would say you do require a pit, ramp, hywema’s or some other method of getting underside checked.
[/quote]
It depends what you are inspecting. I would expect a pit or lift to inspect a tractor unit, rigid or low loader trailer. However I thing a crawly board is sufficient for a standard trailer.

Thanks to everyone who replied, it is excellent to have access to the information and experience on here.