12V Sockets and 24 V cig socket

Hope someone can help.

I am looking for advise on how to use the 12v power source in the HGV, its smaller than the typical ■■■ lighter one for cars, so is there any device I can get that will plug into it but have a ■■■ lighter sized socket at the other end for my iphone charger (its got a sat nav app, so want to use it in truck).

Also, if anyone can advise how to use my phone in a truck without a 12v socket (i.e. just the high voltage ■■■ socket) so I dont blow up my phone .

If you have links to online shops for products you use, that would be good.

Cheers

R0ssc0

Most truck-stops sell the plug that is the small 12v plug (which I always call the ERF plug) and has a bit that locks on and becomes an ordinary ■■■ lighter plug. Most phone chargers will also work on 24v as well, check yours, but all I’ve had have been OK.

buybits.com/Product/8800/50c … -8800.aspx

This is the one I bought and it works fine :slight_smile:

And as stated above… a lot of chargers work fine from a 12 or 24 volt source. Check the input source rating on the packaging or label.

IPhone works fine on 24 volt, my co driver has his charging in the 24 volt socket in the Volvo we have tonight as I type this. It’s a USB type charger and that is only 5 volts so it drops the voltage anyway

Coffeeholic:
IPhone works fine on 24 volt, my co driver has his charging in the 24 volt socket in the Volvo we have tonight as I type this. It’s a USB type charger and that is only 5 volts so it drops the voltage anyway

+1.

Most chargers are voltage droppers.

I also have iPhone and have charged on 12 and 24 volt.

I have a belkin FM transmitter which I plug into my iPhone which charges it and let’s me play tunes through radio. Cost £45 so don’t want to blow it to bits :slight_smile:

Will check out the adaptor as it should fit the bill or buy a iPhone charger instead . Thanks folk.

I bought a reduser just in case It drops the voltage from 24 to 12 v just in case i ended up with a truck that only has 24v lol then i found out that my sat nav will work on both :smiley: ha maplin electronics sell them about £18 :smiley:

Source: Hella plug to two Hella sockets, Roadking

So those are called ‘hella’ socket/plugs. They are also (or were) used on BMW motorbikes so are sometimes called BMW sockets/plugs too but most people have their own names for them. I’ve heard them called ‘euro’ sockets as well as ‘truck plugs’ too.

There should be a label on them stating if they are 12 or 24v, but if not shown then I guess you could get a plug that tests them for you, giving you a readout of which voltage it is. Or just carry a mulitmeter :smiley:

I do find them to be better at a secure fitting and have used them on my car for powering a second battery in the boot, thus giving me a removable charged 12v powerpack with a pair of hella’s plugged in the outside :slight_smile:

I think RoadKing do mail order too :smiley:

You can also get them in Maplins, they also do voltage droppers as well as a short adaptor lead with a hella plug at one end and a cig lighter style socket at the other end. I got a voltage dropper in there for £20 a couple of weeks back.