12v power outlet problems

hi im still new to this game, I drive a Volvo FH and my 12v power outlet is not working ive checked fuses and they seem ok, problem happened after plugging in a 12v kettle, now nothing works ie satnav ect… any help would be grateful.

Most 12v outlets in trucks aren’t anywhere near man enough to power a kettle.

Is yours a ■■■ lighter or hella (smaller) type of socket?. The ■■■ lighter type are only good for about 5 amps and a hella around 15 amps, if suitably wired.

You’ll probably find that if you pull the socket out from its panel you’ll find a mush if melted wiring and socket. Easily replaced if you have a bit if savvy but just make sure you get the polarity right or you’ll fry anything that’s plugged into it.

Cheers
Neilf

Double check the fuses, you might have missed one, locate the correct one & pop another one in to check it.
As Nielf said- don’t over load it. Alright for a sat nav or a phone, but not really both together, you’ll need to juggle between them & carry some spare fuses-specially if you rely on the Satnav !

Not teaching you to ■■■■ eggs here, you did say you were a newby, truck electrical systems are 24v so most 12v supply’s are run through a dropper to give the 12v. You may have fried the dropper with the kettle and some droppers, if fried, will then push out 24v.

Do all your testing, and double check, with a multi meter because you may find you get power back to the socket but at 24v and not the 12v your looking for. Testing with expensive and delicate electronics like a satnav will only end in tears I’m afraid.

If you don’t feel confident than ask a fellow driver or even the garage to check it out for you. Your not the first and certainly won’t be the last to do it.

For this reason I try and ensure any electrical equipment I buy is suitable for both 12v and 24v. I also carry a small multimeter with me and won’t plug any of my own kit into a strange truck until I’m sure I know what the socket is poking out.

Unfortunately I’ve learned from bitter experience that all is not what it appears when it comes to power sockets in trucks.

Cheers
Neilf

I know this is almost a decade old, but I have the same issue with my FH according to main dealer it’s the socket itself which may have melted and become unserviceable, they gave me a new one to fit, which I will have a go at and post it on here. Should it work,
Btw as per the original post the fuses are checked with multi meter several times 64 65 67 are defo all good they have good continuity in both blades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capofarukgb:
I know this is almost a decade old, but I have the same issue with my FH according to main dealer it’s the socket itself which may have melted and become unserviceable, they gave me a new one to fit, which I will have a go at and post it on here. Should it work,
Btw as per the original post the fuses are checked with multi meter several times 64 65 67 are defo all good they have good continuity in both blades

Just an update, I eventually found a fuse hidden away bottom right corner nearer to the driver a fuse relating to this, changed it and job done