12V Inverter in Truck

Hi, I have a 12V inverter which I was going to use to to power my Laptop in the truck, but most trucks are 24V Cigarette lighter ports right? They work fine with my sat nav and charging my phone etc, just wondering if they’d be okay with the inverter? Or will I have to buy a new one?

Thanks

Phone chargers run on about 10v to about 28v but inverters are either 12v or 24v so if you haven’t got a 12v socket you will need a new 24v inverter or a dropper from 24v to 12v. hth … edit OR you could put a 12v bulb in the positive line then only 12v would go to the inverter, used to do that years ago when only 24v was available but needed just 12v to power a portable TV.

An inverter will need to use the correct voltage.
Most USB type plugs are designed to use either voltage (they output 5v anyway).

Most trucks have at least one 12v socket, often the 12v is a standard lighter socket and the 24v a Hella socket.

test the socket with a multi meter before you plug in your inverter . If you put 24 volts into a 12 volt inverter you end up with a very heavy paperweight and a smokey smell in your cab .

How may outlets do you have in the truck ? Surely one of them must be 12v ? If not find out where the wires to one that is not the main 24v outlet on the dash, move them to the bridge of the batteries using the positive wire on the actual bridge and ground the negative, the bridge will make it a 12v outlet.

There are 3 in the truck (Brand new Volvo) will have a look tomorrow to see if any are 12V, had just assumed they were all 24V.

JakeWS:
There are 3 in the truck (Brand new Volvo) will have a look tomorrow to see if any are 12V, had just assumed they were all 24V.

Then I wouldn’t follows Pats advice then as I don’t think yer guvner would approve … :slight_smile: Have a look in the drivers manual.