12v halfords cooler box

bought 12v cooler box last summer for wagon keeps melting plugs! 3 in total any ideas why?? and yes its not plugged in the 24v socket lol can you wire it direct into something? cheers luke.

Call in at Lymm and get a new plug fitted or bin it completely and get one of the Waeco ones from CDC, which are a bit more expensive and run on 12 and 24 volts. I have had two of the Halfords ones and both gave up.

They aren’t the best but they still shouldn’t do that, I’d take it back to Halfrauds and get another one if you’ve still got the receipt.

Have you had a meter on the socket it’s plugged into?

Happydaze:

no not had meter onit should i??

lgamston:

Happydaze:

no not had meter onit should i??

I would, just to check it’s putting out what it’s supposed to be before you blame the coolbox. Could be something daft like that.

Ive had a couple of 12v boxes and both used to melt plugs after a while. I eventually got a 24v box and have no problem now, I dont get flat batteries any more either!

Wire a three pin socket in to the fuse box and put a three pin plug on the fridge. That will not melt.

cut the plug off and get a hella plug and job done, i’ve got one of the big halfords cool boxes and mine runs all week never turn it off monday to friday and never had a problem with mine :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I stopped using mine, it works after a fashion, but it’s so noisy that it’'s like having a helicopter in the cab. :wink:

wildfire:
cut the plug off and get a hella plug and job done, i’ve got one of the big halfords cool boxes and mine runs all week never turn it off monday to friday and never had a problem with mine :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

This is what I done - no probs.

I’ve got an Electrolux fridge & had the same problems, the plugs usually melted after a week or so. I asked the leccy at Mercedes about it & he said it was due to too much ampage being drawn through the socket, so, i upgraded the socket from 8amp to 16. It lasted about 2 months but eventually went the same way as the others.
Luckily its a 3 way fridge & i splashed out on a 300w inverter to solve the problem.

thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

i had one and it froze everything inside. total crap.