12v ciggy and 24v hella help please

Hi all untill recently I’ve only ever powered my snooper sat nav (when needed) through either the 12v ciggy or 24v hella with a single hella lead adaptor… but ive just brought a roadhawk and I’ve started using a laptop more as the job I’m doing now has more waiting around and I’m thinking of getting a kettle for the cold winter mornings ( I don’t do nights out hence being new to this) obviously all this need powering and I’m wondering about the best way of doing it… I carnt hardwire anything as its a company truck and a lease hire and they don’t want us messing with them I was thinking about getting a hella socket that splits into 3 ciggy sockets and getting a small 12v inverter for the 12v ciggy socket but I’m worried about trying to run to much power through the 24v hella having it split into 3 with a sat nav, dash cam, and phone or kettle etc and then the 12v with a 12v inverter to just charge the laptop please help I’m mind boggled on the best way to do this

You don’t need the kettle plugged in constantly and the laptop will survive long enough to boil a brew. Use those in the hella socket and get a twin splitter for the 12v socket. A kettle uses far more power than a satnav or phone so use the lower powered items in the ciggy lighter socket or carry a bag of fuses. Satnavs and phones are fine in cars which are 12v anyway.

Yh that makes sense iI take it you can get inverters to run on the hella socket then? Or do I just use one of those adaptors to change it to a ciggy socket and just plug the inverter into that?

I have never used an inverter so I cant help you there. I always use hella where possibly though but I only need to charge 2 phones so a 2 way adapter with a hella plug suits me fine

Ok no problem thanks for you help I’ll what you said with the 12v splitter… And ill so some research and ask around on the inverters thanks again

I wouldn’t bother with an inverter for the lap top. There’s no need to increase your 12v to 240v just to bring it back down to 19(or whatever). What I do is use a 12v laptop charger, £10-15 on E bay or Amazon. Get the one appropriate for your laptop which will have the right connector and voltage.

I power my laptop via the 12v socket with no problems at all, however fell asleep Saturday night leaving it charging all night. Yes a flat battery in the morning. Luckily was parked next to a main dealer and the mechanics came out and got me started, no charge.

Re the kettle can anyone recommend one that does not need an inverter.

Here you go Darren, the ONLY kettle worth having. Hassle free, will never let you down and is definitely inverter free…

image.jpg