12v - 24v inverter/ converter?

Looking for some help folks, I bought a small electric cool box for in the truck, only problem is it’s 12v and my socket says 24v. There is a Hella socket beside it, would I have to get something for this socket or am I looking at having to buy another cool box? Can I get an inverter? I drive a Daf CF transporter. Cheers Paul

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

NPABU:
Looking for some help folks, I bought a small electric cool box for in the truck, only problem is it’s 12v and my socket says 24v. There is a Hella socket beside it, would I have to get something for this socket or am I looking at having to buy another cool box? Can I get an inverter? I drive a Daf CF transporter. Cheers Paul

The hella should be 24v and the other normal size one a 12v.Or it is in my daf.And the one i had previous to that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Get a meter and check the voltage.

Last daf I had the Hella socket on passenger side of the gubbins tray was 12v.

You don’t want an inverter ,u want voltage dropper 24/12 you can get them in some bp garages

You can get voltage droppers but be careful the wattage or amp rating if the dropper is well in excess of the coolbox rating. You’ll prob need a dropper with a fan or it’ll just overheat and stop working.

My coolbox is 4 amps i think but a 5 amp dropper struggled at times and that had a fan, just kept overheating. Really need 10 amp in that case.

trevHCS:
You can get voltage droppers but be careful the wattage or amp rating if the dropper is well in excess of the coolbox rating. You’ll prob need a dropper with a fan or it’ll just overheat and stop working.

My coolbox is 4 amps i think but a 5 amp dropper struggled at times and that had a fan, just kept overheating. Really need 10 amp in that case.

+1

Cheers for the replies, there is only 1 cigarette socket and 1 hella socket. When I got back to the yard I took the coolbox out the truck and tried it in the car and it worked. I have usb multiplug in the cigarette socket to charge my phone Sat nav and charges the tablet that we use to sign off our jobs. I have tried all individually plugged in and they all work except the cool box.
Cheers Paul

I bought a small box thing that added more amps or something.got it from maplins.
Shame theve gone as always handy for advice and cables n Stuff.
If your ever passing lymn services call into c b shack there. There probably be able help you out

Have used one of these for the last 12 years, works just fine:

I had a similar dilemma, the Renault they’ve given me has 2x12v and 1x24v sockets, the office have stuck a crashcam in 1 12v socket and I need to plug in the 12v coolbox and my Anker usb hub for the pratnav and charging my 2 phones. Luckily the crashcam is 12/24v so that got booted over to the 24v socket

biggriffin:

Yep. Best to check with a meter, especially if the truck isnt new. No telling what mods have been done by previous drivers who didnt bother telling anyone about them…
For info, my DAF has a 12v cig socket and 24v Hella socket.

And as Peirre points out there arent enough outlets in many trucks for all the electric stuff we use today. I reckon what is there is often badly positioned too. Id prefer more power sockets on the top edge of the dash, not near the bottom edge.

Franglais:

biggriffin:

Yep. Best to check with a meter, especially if the truck isnt new. No telling what mods have been done by previous drivers who didnt bother telling anyone about them…
For info, my DAF has a 12v cig socket and 24v Hella socket.

And as Peirre points out there arent enough outlets in many trucks for all the electric stuff we use today. I reckon what is there is often badly positioned too. Id prefer more power sockets on the top edge of the dash, not near the bottom edge.

Also USB sockets in the bunk area…