£12.99ph for 7.5t work if your not scared of a bit of graft

Quite impressive tbf…
indeed.co.uk/viewjob?from=ap … 7726c15e41

UPS always have paid good rates…

Trukkertone:
UPS always have paid good rates…

And they never seem to be in a rush when you see them either.

Why rush when you’re paid by the hour at a decent rate?

Winseer:

I know they normally have a few times deliveries/collections to get done,I assume they’d be in bother if they missed the slot.

I don’t think they have to race around like a Yodel driver, but at the same time I suspect they need to get on with it.
What worried me more was the possibility of maybe lifting 70kgs, as that’s more than some people weigh!
Although maybe not on this forum! :wink:

Winseer:

To get the job done - to have some home life. Their paid well anyway so no need to hang it out. More to life than maxing out the weekly pay packet.

They want a criminal record check tho .

Years ago i passed it , but is computerised now so maybe more tricky to be deceitful .

Apparently if you have 2 or more nawty episodes from your youth will come up as a fail , even when spent .

If you have only 1 it wont .

Saw a job advert at £13 for Class 1. Time and half saturday, double time Sunday :open_mouth: 5 day week. Trunking from bay to bay. New passes accepted. I thought right then I’ll have a go at that.

“A-frame”. Oh bother! I’m sure you’d learn with time, but the number on the ad went nowhere. I’m proud enough I one-shotted my first proper artic reverse today, god alone knows how much harder an a-frame is.

ajt:

Winseer:

To get the job done - to have some home life. Their paid well anyway so no need to hang it out. More to life than maxing out the weekly pay packet.

But you’re not hanging it out - you’re just not rushing.

If the job involves leaving one place at and getting to the next customer who isn’t going to let you into their yard until 15:00 hrs, then why rush and get there 10 minutes early which is not even long enough to book off a quick 15? During which you are not even going to get a quick bite to eat…

There are plenty of places where if you make a habit of getting somewhere early, and booking an extra break - they’ll build that into the duty so that EVERYONE is expected to run “quicker” like that all the time. So nothing was gained, and now your other colleagues that might do that job in the future - get into trouble for “running normally”… I’ve been told off before for “running to time” when a yard was “expecting me early so they could tip me and go home early themselves”… FFS… :unamused:

140-150 drops a day not unusual and not always in a small area. If you are lucky you may get a message from management telling you that you are making too may reverse manouvers! They even have a 12 point way to tie your shoelaces!

Think I may have found Evil posing for a selfie while sizing up who someone weighing a gnats ■■■■ over 11stone! :laughing: :wink:

In the London area the UPS work in non stop except for you breaks, 12 hours is a normal, they load you down, if you finish it you get more the next day, they expect you to do 100 drops a day and 20 pickups and they are on your ■■■ all the time, van loaded with telematics and no reversing allowed unless absolutly necessary, you earn that money, that is why they pay it cos they couldnt keep their drivers otherwise, that said its easier for drivers up north cos its not as busy…

No reversing allowed? WTF■■?

“Back onto the bay drive.”
“Can’t. They’ve took the reverse cogs out of my gearbox.”

Unless I’m being thick, what the ■■■■ is all that about, or is this another chalk and lines drivers rest room bollox?

Ken.

Quinny:
No reversing allowed? WTF■■?

“Back onto the bay drive.”
“Can’t. They’ve took the reverse cogs out of my gearbox.”

Unless I’m being thick, what the [zb] is all that about, or is this another chalk and lines drivers rest room bollox?

Ken.

Sadly I believe it’s true.

No doubt thought up by someone with a fresh NEBOSH H&S certificate out to build a name for themselves whilst having zero experience of the working world outside of their office, the corridor outside their office and the office car park.

I did 3 weeks at ups and I can guarantee most of what’s been said is true. However I never heard them say minimal reversing but that was 6 years ago. I was out of Croydon and it was non stop all day every day, safety meeting at the start of every day to outline how to improve driving and hazard perception.
I went out with the supervisor who done the above briefing and made out he was the dogs nuts, that he had been driving with a 7.5 tonne licence for years with them. Wasn’t happy when I told him I’d been driving buses, tri axle coaches and lgvs for the last 10 years.
Didn’t make it any better when he reversed into a post in Croydon fire station.
Wasn’t amused at my offer to drive instead lol.
Not my cup of tea and not because it was hard work but because of the way you’re treated like a kid.
On the phone around 1600 to see how you are doing and can you pop over to the other side of Croydon to help another driver.
May be good money but you’ll earn it don’t worry

The job is multi drop packages so no bays involved.

They have worked out that it is quicker and safer to park at the end of the street/yard/alley and walk the package than drive in and try to reverse out safely, they are right, the vans are a really bad shape and get whacked every time someone trys to reverse, altho that is also from lack of practice, lol.

If you have more than 2 accidents you get the sack…

As well as the reversing I remember watching a mega factory or similar programme and they have a ‘no left turn’ policy when routing vehicles. The idea behind this is that in many states you can still turn right on a red light so you aren’t wasting time.
Also the uniform is quite strict as well. No visible tattoos and unless it’s changed, you must be clean shaved or have a proper beard, no designer stubble.

No beards allowed…

Tony Res:
No beards allowed…

A canny way to exclude certain religions?