12/24v cool boxes/fridges

Any recommendations? Been looking at a few around the £50 quid mark from either Argos or go outdoors.

I’m a bit concerned that I’m going to plug it, come to start the unit in the morning and the battery is drained. Do these 12/24v boxes drain batteries or are they generally OK to have plugged in all the time?

I’m new to tramping and last 2 weeks I was lucky to get a newer unit with a manufacturer built in fridge, but now I’ve been given my own older one without the gadgets so I’m after an alternative.

if you get a 12v go to Halfords and get either the 24ltr or 40ltr they work very well

blue estate:
if you get a 12v go to Halfords and get either the 24ltr or 40ltr they work very well

Thanks. So no issues with battery draining too much with those ones then?

Rowley010:

blue estate:

Not on my truck as there’s a battery saver on the 12v side

I got this one, fantastic bit of kit, always unplug at night and although it’s not cold cold in the morning it’s still cool, I’ve often put something frozen in in the morning and it’s still been frozen at night

I got a fridge from go outdoors for around 130 we have inverters fitted by the company so it runs off 240v and nearly freezes. Had it about 3 years now. They are an absorbtion fridge so they will flatten the battery over night I usually keep a couple ice packs in the bottom to boost it over night like this morning I forgot to turn off the inverter result had to jump it. Myself not a big problem as I carry jump leads

blue estate:

I’ve just got the 24 ltr one , works fine , but bit noisy so I turn it off at night ( still cold in morning ) ,£50

I bought one of those absorption type fridges mine works off Gas , 24V dc and 240ac it has a thermostat so isn’t continuously running , but they do draw a fair few amps , I used to have 12v coolbox before that , that would have to be switched off over night due to the noise the fan made, wasn’t good in the summer months though

Rowley010:

blue estate:

Had the 20ltr 12v halfrauds box for a year still runs quiet as hell, been a few times I’ve left it on overnight no battery issues, being a coolbox I usually just switch it on for a few hours in the afternoon to keep temperature down, with a couple of 2ltr bottles of water to help store energy and keep temperature down for longer, I can leave milk in on a Friday night and it’s still okay to use on the Monday thats if it isn’t 30degrees C on the Saturday or Sunday though

If you want no battery issues then you need a compressor fridge

Get a waeco tropicool…24v…Can leave it running all the time with no issues…Pricey…But worth it.

i have a waeco cf25 compressor fridge runs off 12 or 24v never any probs with it on day and night.expensive to buy initially but well built, ive a friend whos had 9 years from his and still going strong.

Has anyone go the all ride compressor coolbox

blue estate:

Being All Ride it’s probably utter garbage

Steve-o:

blue estate:

Being All Ride it’s probably utter garbage

That’s what I thought as price is to check compared to Waeco ones

If you want the best buy Waeco. I personally think its worth spending the extra. Though I’ve not had to for past 10 years as every truck I’ve nights out in has a fitted fridge (& sometimes freezer), why can’t employers be more like this and order trucks suitable for the job? How much extra is a fitted fridge on cost of a new lorry?

Over the life not much but we don’t buy new only second hand. So we provide our own fridges/cool box. Not everyone has the best part of 400+ quid to spend the extra on a compressor though I have found some in Holland for around £200 which I may switch to

tommyboy1289:
I got this one, fantastic bit of kit, always unplug at night and although it’s not cold cold in the morning it’s still cool, I’ve often put something frozen in in the morning and it’s still been frozen at night

Camping Equipment | Tents & Camping Gear for Sale | GO Outdoors

Seconded!!! I have one, if you freeze everything and leave a 2ltr water bottle of frozen water in it it will stay frozen/cold for 3 days without having to use the power. Probably more but thats the longest ive tried it.