12/24 volt sockets in scania

Would it be a DIN/LIGHTER SOCKET CONVERTOR PLUG that i need
to operate any accessory such as sat nav that normally plugs into a cig.
lighter socket in a car.
Road pro do one for £5.98 is this a good price
Thanks.

Dunno bit was a question I was forgetting to ask, so any info would be sdoubly helpful.

What SatNav do you have? Most of the power leads are dual 12/24 volt so you can just plug it into the regular lighter socket in the Scania, no need for extra plugs etc…

24v Kettle. For Tea (the horror) making.

8wheels:
24v Kettle. For Tea (the horror) making.

Just be aware of the power consumption a kettle can use.

The standard 24v socket on a Scania is usually about 175 watts (approx 7 amps) so is not suitable for a kettle.

However the auxiliary hella type sockets are higher rated (on my truck it is labeled below each socket the maximum load it can take) and I have a kettle which draws 235 watts (10 amps) and I have fitted a plug which is rated at 16 amps and has an adapter which can be used in both the standard and hella type sockets.
This is what it looks like
http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_detail.aspx?prod=PRO+CAR+UNIVERSAL+PLUG+WITH+16A+FUSE&id=51

Beware of using a hella to standard socket adapter as they have a max rating of 190 watts (8 amps).

To work out the ampage/wattage to voltage ratings here is the formula.

Voltage (E) = Current (I) * Resistance (R)
Power (watts) = Current Squared (I^2) * Resistance (R)
Power = I*E = E^2 / R

Or here is a useful link for the confused :wink: :wink: :wink:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/ohmslaw.htm

Disclaimer:- If you blow your truck up, it’s your fault, not mine. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Cool, thanks Pedroski. I assumed the Hella plug was completely different to the standard cig lighter affair, never realised the collar was the only difference.

And if I blow the old Scanny up I’ll probably get a pat on the back from the TM.

Just incase anyones interested, I have a few Hella Plugs left over from the Capitol Enterprises Days

£5 for 3 inc P&P cant be fairer than that and unlike the regular hella plugs these ones dont have the fine wire through the centre pole which breaks after 4 or 5 months :wink: :wink: :wink:

Once I get back onto my feet I intend having them made again :sunglasses:

Davey Driver:
unlike the regular hella plugs these ones dont have the fine wire through the centre pole which breaks after 4 or 5 months :wink: :wink: :wink:

That’s called the “fuse”, Davey… :wink:

MrFlibble:

Davey Driver:
unlike the regular hella plugs these ones dont have the fine wire through the centre pole which breaks after 4 or 5 months :wink: :wink: :wink:

That’s called the “fuse”, Davey… :wink:

Nope mate they are not fitted with a fuse, they are designed that way to stop them being long life :wink: :wink:

The problem with Hella’s is that as you pull them out they tend to twist, snapping the wire contact, if they were fused the packaging would be printed with the fused rating, bear in mind the Hella Socket is also wired through the vehicle harness from the fuse box :wink: :wink:

I sent a few off to China 3 years ago and they stated the wire was not there as a fuse it was there for longevity purposes, something to do with the thickness of the wire, it was thick enogh to exceed 50 amps but the constant twisting caused it to snap and become in-operative we decided a solid centre pole was better which is why we gave a 12 month guarantee, and having sold over 3,000 with none returned faulty they certainly do their job :wink: :wink: