11th November 2004. Lest We Forget

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them.

Flanders Poppies

If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McRae, Ypres 1915

I was stopped at Woolley Edge S/Bd MSA.
If anybody saw a driver(?) contemplating the side of an Archbold wagon, that was me.
I’ll be out on Sunday as well, then off to give blood.

I think sometimes we tend to take for granted the freedoms bought by their sacrifice. Not only in the World Wars but in all the Wars(declared and otherwise)since.

Lest we forget indeed. :frowning:

Ken.

gone but not forgotton never forget what they gave

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
By John McRae

John McRae was a Canadian soldier and poet. This poem is on the back of every Canadian $10 note

From the Bible:

‘Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.’

John 15 v.13.

The Kohima Epitaph:

“When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,Â
For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today”

Just a few lines that remind us of the sacrifices that were made in the cause of peace and freedom.

I was disgusted to hear on the radio that the PC brigade want to take the emphasis of the 2 world wars away from rememberence Sunday.

I agree that the men and women that have fallen in the service of their country since these wars should not be over looked if it was not for the sacrifices in the 1st & especially the 2nd world wars none of us would have the freedom’s that we take for granted today,indeed this forum would not even exist.

I think it is vital that we emphasise the importance of these sacrifices to our children so that future generations dont lose the cocept of how signifigant these wars were.

They were not for oil or political gain they were for the freedom of the individual man woman and child.

I had the opportunity to speak to a WW11 veteran on Thursday. He, and a lady were collecting at Thurrock Services. We agreed that one remembers ones friends and family that have given their lives for freedom, rather than the particular conflict. He commented,as did members of the staff, that the impact of the two minutes silence had a large number of foreigners in the services at the time was dramatic.
It should be emphasised that the people who fought, and in many cases gave their lives, did so for the whole of the World, NOT JUST the UK. We remember the Empire members who came to help. It is time that those who were helped acknowledged that sacrifice.
On a lighter side; we also decided that the pillock who stuck a pin in his/her finger, and then wanted to sue British Legion should be subject to the Rules of War. This would have classified the injury as self-inflicted, and the perpetrator would then be shot. Sanity would then prevail.
I lost my Dad this year. he was in Royal Navy, so this year carries a little more meaning

north surrey haulage:
I was disgusted to hear on the radio that the PC brigade want to take the emphasis of the 2 world wars away from rememberence Sunday.

Don’t they know that Remembrance Sunday/Remembrance Day was started after the First World War. It’s purpose is to remember those who lost their lives in the World Wars and other conflicts since, including those still going on.

Perhaps these politically correct idiots should move to a country that doesn’t allow free speech.