11 Hour Split break - Ferries and 2 Movement Rule

When you use the Split Break/2 Movement rule, i know you are allowed 2 movements, totalling no more than one hour between them…

However…

Lets say, I have left Basel, done my 10 Hours driving up to Dumpkerque, Am i still allowed to use the 2 Movement Rule, as i dont have any legal driving time left on the day in question’s tacho, Or is the driving time be deducted off the following day’s driving time, or as a Driver in Muttenz told me on Thursday night, you get it for free and you dont actually allocate it to any tacho, and its almost “A freebie”…

I have asked a few drivers and no one actually seems to know the answer to it, Surely it has to be accounted for on a Tacho somewhere doesnt it??

Can anyone shed any light on this for me??

i cant answer that one buzzard.
i would park in dunkerke port and have my time off and after 7 or 8 hours go for the boat.
by the time you get off in dover,you have a full days driving to do.and you have an11 hr break taken
theres nowhere to park in dover now unless you go to ashford and get ripped off paying for parking.
i never ship over unless i can get well out of dover and find a layby.
i use the old a2.plenty of laybys up as far as the m2 and you can get there in less than an hour if it suits you to ship over from the continent.

greg50:
i cant answer that one buzzard.
i would park in dunkerke port and have my time off and after 7 or 8 hours go for the boat.
by the time you get off in dover,you have a full days driving to do.and you have an11 hr break taken
theres nowhere to park in dover now unless you go to ashford and get ripped off paying for parking.
i never ship over unless i can get well out of dover and find a layby.
i use the old a2.plenty of laybys up as far as the m2 and you can get there in less than an hour if it suits you to ship over from the continent.

We have no problems with parking in Dover, as we go into the FSA to clear customs, we park in there to complete our breaks

BuzzardBoy:
When you use the Split Break/2 Movement rule, i know you are allowed 2 movements, totalling no more than one hour between them…

However…

Lets say, I have left Basel, done my 10 Hours driving up to Dumpkerque, Am i still allowed to use the 2 Movement Rule, as i dont have any legal driving time left on the day in question’s tacho, Or is the driving time be deducted off the following day’s driving time, or as a Driver in Muttenz told me on Thursday night, you get it for free and you dont actually allocate it to any tacho, and its almost “A freebie”…

I have asked a few drivers and no one actually seems to know the answer to it, Surely it has to be accounted for on a Tacho somewhere doesnt it??

If you’re having a daily rest period on a ferry or train you may interupt it no more than twice by other activity’s, not exceeding 1 hour in total, but any driving or other work done in that time will count towards the days total.

By days total I’m refering to the 24 hour period that the daily rest is taken in, so if you’ve already done 10 hours driving in that shift, basically you’re screwed I’m afraid.

1. By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver
    accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train,
    and takes a regular daily rest period, that period may be
    interrupted not more than twice by other activities not
    exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest
    period the driver shall have access to a bunk or couchette.

tachograph:

BuzzardBoy:

However…

If you’re having a daily rest period on a ferry or train you may interupt it no more than twice by other activity’s, not exceeding 1 hour in total, but any driving or other work done in that time will count towards the days total.

By days total I’m refering to the 24 hour period that the daily rest is taken in, so if you’ve already done 10 hours driving in that shift, basically you’re screwed I’m afraid.

1. By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver
    accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train,
    and takes a regular daily rest period, that period may be
    interrupted not more than twice by other activities not
    exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest
    period the driver shall have access to a bunk or couchette.

Chers for that mate, i thought it would be, but just wanted to clarify it.

once you get to dunkirk how much driving have you used :question: :question: :question: cos you will only use a minimum amount getting on and off the boat. (all being well unless another boat arrives at the same time).

As already stated if you have no driving time left you cannot make the movements. A lot of drivers seem to be under the impression that interrupting the daily rest exempts them from other parts of the regulations, it doesn’t. All the driving limits, rest requirements etc are all still applicable when using the interrupted daily rest option. You must for instance make sure you haven’t done more than about 12.5 -12.75 hours of shift that day when you park up to wait for boarding and begin your daily rest. You must have 11 hours of rest and not 11 hours of rest including the movements and as with all daily rest it must fit into the 24 hour period which started when you commenced work that day. a shift of 12.5 -12.75 hours allows you to still take the 11 hour rest period and leaves you 15 - 30 minutes for the movements, which can still be cutting it fine.

Do you get a cabin on the Dunkerque crossing? If not you can’t use the interrupted rest anyway as for all parts of the rest you must have access to a bunk or couchette, a reclining chair doesn’t count. You can’t use the interrupted rest option on a Dover - Calais crossing or the tunnel for this reason.

As coffeeholic says, If you have used your 10 hours driving up, then you cannot cross the channel as you will be over your driving time limit.