11 / 11 / 11

Quinney
here in the peoples replubic of Bedduth
we refer to it as armistice day

that is the day we have all the fuss…(tomorrow)
while the rest of the country waits til Sunday

And dont anyone forget t/row.

hitch:
Quinney
here in the peoples replubic of Bedduth
we refer to it as armistice day

that is the day we have all the fuss…(tomorrow)
while the rest of the country waits til Sunday

A fuss■■? I dont think the brave old boys and the equally brave women who supported them would like to think that people nowadays see it as a fuss.

Its vitally important that NOBODY forgets the sacrifices these generations (and those that have followed) made.

I bet when they look around nowadays they must wonder what on earth it was all for. :cry: :cry:

As someone,who in the last couple of years,has got into the WW2 thing,I have come to realise what a sacrifice was made by these brave Men and Women.So much so,that I am now a member of the Lincolnshire Lancaster Association,which,in conjunction with the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight,help keep alive,a small selection of the aircraft that gave us air supremacy over the German Luftwaffe.

Of course,the RAF was just a small piece of the jigsaw.

The ground troops were just as important,again,so much so,that I was able to visit Bayeux,Arromanche,and Pegasus Bridge whilst on holiday in August.

As Bullitt says,we must NEVER forget what they did for us.

That’s why tomorrow,I’ll stand silently.

Lest we forget. :frowning:

Ken.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest We Forget

Last year I was following an artic when he pulled over, didn’t realise why at first (didn’t realise what time it was) then i noticed all the other hgv’s stopped at the roadside and the penny dropped, by the time I got to pullover it was turned eleven so I was a bit late.
But it was really good to see all the drivers take time out for it. :sunglasses:

My personal and traditional abuse of power can be found HERE

An admirable thread.

Quinny, have you been to the Brooklands Museum? Well worth a look, lots of motor racing history, but lots of airplanes & stuff to. WW2 WW1 right back to the Wright Bros.
I had mixed feelings at seeing, for the first time ever, a Wellington Bomber. If i remember rightly it had been recovered from a Scottish Loch. My Father worked on them during WW2.
I did wonder if he may have worked on that particular aircraft, but enquiries made on the day, it was unlikely.
I won’t forget the day I was there 11.09.01

i feel for them all but also i understand y it happened so i feel for the people that did this and god bless them all

i would like to point out that in this day and age it aint just ww1 that nov 11 is for it is also about other conflicts that we have been involved in
Poppy day is a day of remembrance for all that that have done there duty for their country may they be black white or any thing else there is a lot of people that need our help because they have fell on bad times and have given duty to our country and all monies given for this day help those who every goverment have always forgotten about in there hour of need

i always give and remember

always

Galaxian

Galaxian:
i would like to point out that in this day and age it aint just ww1 that nov 11 is for it is also about other conflicts that we have been involved in
Poppy day is a day of remembrance for all that that have done there duty for their country may they be black white or any thing else there is a lot of people that need our help because they have fell on bad times and have given duty to our country and all monies given for this day help those who every goverment have always forgotten about in there hour of need

i always give and remember

always

Galaxian

amen

i didnt mean fuss as in whats it all about…
we visited the Menin gate in Ypres on the way back from Italy this was our 2nd visit

My dad served in Egypt in WWII and my uncle who I am named for died in WWII blow up by a road mine - I ALWAYS will remember.

Pete

As I’m having a couple days off work,I’ve just come back from the small service in my town centre,at the memorial.

Did I feel humble?

You bet I did.

Ken.

I observed my two minutes silence, but as I was taking a break in a backwater industrial estate, I don’t think anyone noticed!

This year, you were able to buy a poppy by text!

i pulled over today to observe 2 minutes silence,its the least we can do for the people who gave up their lives so we can enjoy the freedoms we have today.

I pulled over, but being on a unclassified road in the middle of Exmoor at the time nobody noticed !

I think the whole of Scarborough stood in silence at 11am today. For me it is always a memory, having lost my parents in a gas chamber during 2nd world war and most of my family at that horrendous time.
We and future generations must NEVER forget the sacrifice of brave and corageous men and women who gave their lives in 2 world wars and conflicts since so we might have freedom

I was in Toddington services on the M1 at 11 o’ clock. I observed the silence and was pleased to see how many others did too. :wink:

It would seem that more people than ever recognise what was sacrificed for our freedom,don’t you think?

I would say we have to thank the media for this,it’s probably the one time that they’ve done something right.

If some of you would care to read some other postings,especially the personal ones,on an aviation site I frequent,then click below.

Ken.

forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50391