10 years on Trucknet - YOU might be mentioned

Do I get a gold clock?

Actually, its more than 10 years. The original forum moved across onto a new platform (not the latest move where we all went with it) and IIRC we had to rejoin. (Rikki will be along soon to put me right I’m sure). I took the opportunity to change my user name. I had recently started driving part time for P&O Ferymasters out of Fleetwood and only did UK work, hence the “uk” but, on reflection, simply “Driver 1” would have been better. In the early days of many forums, they would not accept spaces in the user name and I hadn’t realised that this one would.

Why have I stayed so long?

Some may say I must be a glutton for punishment. Yes the same questions (usually, though not always, relating to driver’s hours) come around again and again and again.
On the other hand;

• I’ve learned a lot.
  • Its easy late night reading.
  • The site isn’t heavily laden with graphics etc. thus not making the fans run flat out on my old pc as some sites do.
  • Its often entertaining. (especially when there’s a load of bullets to be delivered to Cyprus pulled by a DAF with a poorly engine :laughing: )

Seen many members come and go. Some provide great content whilst here, (especially photo diaries - thanks guys and girls for the effort) some have great difficulty stringing an understandable sentence together, whilst some seem to be here solely to antagonise.
Some spout BS with nearly every post, some make a post just for the sake of making one whilst having no useful contribution to the topic, some genuinely don’t know whilst a fairly small bunch of members are very clued up indeed and tirelessly impart their knowledge. (thank you). There are drivers on here who have been to the Middle East and beyond in the 70’s - 80’s and really have been there and done that. For you younger ones, that was a time when you rarely saw a foreign truck in the UK apart perhaps from Hungarocamion, but thousands of UK trucks went to Europe and beyond with maybe 280 or 340 horses, no air con and a flat topped cab.

Really I should remember some names of the better known members who have moved on, but its difficult when they haven’t been around for a while. (perhaps some of you will remind us of some). Coffeeholic was a prolific, amusing (and knowledgeable) poster.
Sadly we’ve also lost a few due accidents and illness.

I mostly read the Professional Drivers section with an occasional look into Owner Drivers as I was one once, briefly.
If I had more time available I would look more often at Newbies and Old Timers.

Will I (we?) still be here in 2023? I don’t know. Maybe I will, maybe I won’t.

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas everyone. :smiley:

More like its Your Round :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bet you feel really old now then :wink: :wink:

Congrats on your ten years (hope your eyes are to old to see this pointless post ha ha ha ) :smiley:

Been here about 9.5 years, according to my profile page. But I’m sure I was here before that in some guise as I’ve been driving for a living since about 2003… or was it 2002?

Here a right while too. :wink:

Getting expert advice from the guys on here around 2004 was one of the reasons I had a go@ the aul O/D lark back then and have no regrets,
great info and above all CRAIC on here still :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses: