10 hours driving in a 24hr period? legal or not?

Right guys and gals I wonder if someone could help clear this up for me. Is it an offence and against driving regulations to go over 10hrs driving in a 24 hr period even though ive ended a shift and had 9hrs off then started a new shift? for example

Start duty at 6am. Have done 9hrs driving in my shift. end shift at 6pm. I take 9hrs off. Start next day a 3am. I then drive for 3 hrs up to 6am. So I have done 12 hrs driving in a 24hr period even though ive had 9hrs off and done 2 shifts.

I cannot find anywhere about this on vosa or any other driving hour rules website if it is illegal or not. Any ideas?

I was always of the understanding it goes by shifts and not in the 24hr period?

freshneasy:
Right guys and gals I wonder if someone could help clear this up for me. Is it an offence and against driving regulations to go over 10hrs driving in a 24 hr period even though ive ended a shift and had 9hrs off then started a new shift? for example

Start duty at 6am. Have done 9hrs driving in my shift. end shift at 6pm. I take 9hrs off. Start next day a 3am. I then drive for 3 hrs up to 6am. So I have done 12 hrs driving in a 24hr period even though ive had 9hrs off and done 2 shifts.

I cannot find anywhere about this on vosa or any other driving hour rules website if it is illegal or not. Any ideas?

I was always of the understanding it goes by shifts and not in the 24hr period?

The whole point of the daily rest is to wipe the slate clean as you say it is a different shift, supposedly you are frsh as a daisy after nine hours off and ready for whatever the world throws at you. even if thats a full 4.5 hours driving after your 12 mins walkaround

Hope this helps

Yes! Twice in one week! :wink:
As long as you don’t drive for more than 56 hours in a working week! i.e 4x9hrs and 2x10hrs over six days! Remember you cannot drive more than 34 hours the following week! 90hrs a fortnight! :wink:

yes dessy i know that mate. but what im saying is ive driven 9hrs in 1 shift. had 9 hours off. then started driving on a new shift but because im 3 hours until the 24hr period has cleared it looks like you have done 12 hours driving even though you had your time off and started a new shift do you know what i mean?

I know what your saying! As you have done a reduced daily rest of 9 hours that is a new shift! It’s irrelevant if it’s not 24 hours! Even if you took 11 hours off your still 1 hour less than 24hrs as your previous day was 12 hours in total! :wink:

freshneasy:
yes dessy i know that mate. but what im saying is ive driven 9hrs in 1 shift. had 9 hours off. then started driving on a new shift but because im 3 hours until the 24hr period has cleared it looks like you have done 12 hours driving even though you had your time off and started a new shift do you know what i mean?

Show me where it says you cant drive 12hours in any twentyfour. It doesnt, it goes shift by shift with max totting up over longer periods.

That is perfectly legal mate.

well basically this is what i did the other week and it came up as an infringement! saying id exceeded daily driving limit

To complete 24 hours you would need 12 hours daily rest! The confusion is on reduction! As it’s supposed to be a 24 hour period! But it’s legal to reduce your daily rest to 9 hours and start again! I think? :open_mouth:
As for infringement! Did you have 8hrs 59mins daily rest by any chance? Then you will get an infringement! :wink:

yes i agree with you sid and whitewhitewhite i believe it is perfectly legal and i have scoured the net looking on driving regs etc and cant find anywhere that says about a 24 hour driving period. thanks guys for your help. i know some lads who for example start at 5am. have done an 8 and half to 9hr drive. have there time off of 9hrs then sit and wait until 5am the next day when the 24hrs has come round to start again!

no i had over 9hrs was about 9hrs 10m

You can drive more than 10 hours in 24 as long you have taken your 9 or 11 hour rest. It is the length of the shift plus daily rest that matters. If it wasn’t then there would be times when you might have to wait a couple of hours before you could start driving again.

i agree with you waddy that is why i cant understand why its coming up as an infringement and the powers that be think its an infringement to do over 10 hrs in a 24 hr period! grrrrrrrrrr

Did you eject your digi card at the end of your shift or leave it in on break?
If card is left in, I believe you need to make a manual entry for end of shift and start of new shift for the tacho to realise you are taking a reduced daily rest and zero your driving time.
That would be my guess as to why it’s recorded your second shift’s driving hours with your first shift’s and led to an infringement.

freshneasy:

It’s legal. Here’s the bit of REGULATION (EC) No 561/2006 you need.

Atricle 4
(k) ‘daily driving time’ means the total accumulated driving
time between the end of one daily rest period and the
beginning of the following daily rest period or between a
daily rest period and a weekly rest period;

Your company need new people doing their analysis because the current lot are crap.

By my calculations you could legally do the following:

0600-0615 Book on and walk round check.
0615-1045 Driving
1045-1130 Break
1130-1600 Driving
1600-1615 Refuel Book off
1615-0115 Rest reduced to 9 hours
0115-0130 Book on and walk round check
0130-0600 Driving.

Total driving 13.30

Not an ideal working day but legal.

waddy640:

0615-1045 Driving
1045-1130 Break
1130-1600 Driving
0130-0600 Driving.

Total driving 13.30

Not quite legal. After 4.5 hours driving you must start a break, so you would have to fuel up after taking the break and not before.

waddy640:

0615-1045 Driving
1045-1130 Break
1130-1600 Driving
0130-0600 Driving.

Total driving 13.30

Yep that’s legal, 13.5 hours is the most you can squeeze into a 24 hour period. I’ve done pretty much that on many occasions where there was 2 or 3 days between loading and getting back to the ferry/train, or getting off the ferry/train with a couple or three days driving to the delivery. More often than not without the refuelling and much less time for the checks.