10 hours driving and 11 hours rest period

Is it required to take 11 hours off after a 10 hour drive.(Twice a week).Or can you take 9 hours off if you drive for 10 hours?Have never seen this in writing.

You haven’t seen it in writing because it doesn’t exist. As far as I know you can do that.

It’s not the driving that matters it’s the rest - you can reduce your rest to 9 hours in 24, but you cant drive 10 hours plus two 45 min breaks then 9 hours rest and then start again.

Santa:
It’s not the driving that matters it’s the rest - you can reduce your rest to 9 hours in 24, but you cant drive 10 hours plus two 45 min breaks then 9 hours rest and then start again.

why not?

Merci bien,gracias,thank you for that.Need a maths degree to work hours out.Be great if EU agreed on 12 on,12 off.Everyone happy then.

:confused: 15 mins check + 10 hrs drive + 2x 45 mins break = 11.45 then 9 hrs daily rest = 19.45 hrs. Why can’t you start a new work day after that please ? What have I missed :confused:

Santa:

I think Santa is having one of my Senior Moments :wink: :laughing:

Doh!

Drivers hours can be confusing, no doubt about it, I am usually fine til it comes to any payback needed. :grimacing:

some help taken from gv262

Rest periods
Daily rest periods
A driver must take a daily rest period within each period of 24 hours after the end of the previous daily
or weekly rest period. An 11-hour (or more) daily rest is called a regular daily rest period.

Alternatively, a driver can split a regular daily rest period into two periods. The first period must be at
least 3 hours of uninterrupted rest and can be taken at any time during the day. The second must be
at least 9 hours of uninterrupted rest, giving a total minimum rest of 12 hours

A driver may reduce his daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, but this can be done
no more than three times between any two weekly rest periods, and no compensation for the
reduction is required. A daily rest that is less than 11 hours but at least 9 hours long is called a
reduced daily rest period.

To summarise, a driver who begins work at 06.00 on day 1 must, by 06.00 on day 2 at the latest,
have completed either:

• a regular daily rest period of at least 11 hours; or
  • a split daily rest period of at least 12 hours; or
  • if entitled, a reduced daily rest period of at least 9 hours.

peter mill:
Is it required to take 11 hours off after a 10 hour drive.(Twice a week).Or can you take 9 hours off if you drive for 10 hours?Have never seen this in writing.

in most cases you probably wouldn’t do 10 hrs driving inside a 13 hrs duty/spread, because of loading and poa’s ect, so the break would only be classed as a 9 hrs rest, but if you did it within your 13 hrs spread then had 11 hrs off you would still have your reduced break available :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DAFMAD:
:? 15 mins check + 10 hrs drive + 2x 45 mins break = 11.45 then 9 hrs daily rest = 19.45 hrs. Why can’t you start a new work day after that please ? What have I missed :confused:

11.45 + 9 = 20.45, however,
a driver’s day is a 24 hour period after your last daily / weekly rest period,
therefore any work or driving, in your last 3hours 15 mins of the ‘day’ will count towards that day, ie. as you have already driven for 10 hours, you cannot resume driving until your the end of the 24hour period, as you will have exceeded the daily driving limit of 10 hours.

peter mill:

You can take a 9 hour rest after a ten hour drive,twice in a working week, 'cos your allowed to have two 10 hour drives in that week

Your right it is 20.45 i was merely pointing out it was well less than 24 hrs.

you cannot resume driving until your the end of the 24hour period, as you will have exceeded the daily driving limit of 10 hours.

Sorry Steve IMHO you are wrong as the daily rest wipes that slate clean and a new day begins.

stevel:
11.45 + 9 = 20.45, however,
a driver’s day is a 24 hour period after your last daily / weekly rest period,

The 24 hour period begins when the driver resumes work after a daily or weekly rest period, therefore if you begin work at 06:00, work for 11 hours 45 minutes and take a 9 hour rest period you can resume work at 02:45 at which point a new 24-hour period begins and you can resume driving as soon as you have shown a short period for vehicle checks if you wish.

stevel:
therefore any work or driving, in your last 3hours 15 mins of the ‘day’ will count towards that day, ie. as you have already driven for 10 hours, you cannot resume driving until your the end of the 24hour period, as you will have exceeded the daily driving limit of 10 hours.

The daily driving limit is the amount of driving time accumulated between between 2 rest periods. It’s not a daily driving limit in relation to the calendar day or a 24 hour day.

I often do a 10 hr drive followed by a reduced rest ans sometimes used to do it 2 days together. ALL our tachos are analysed, nothing has flagged up nor would i expect it to.
My reduced rests are usually about 9 1/2 hrs… i find 9 a bit short.

I stand corrected, back to school for me. Couldn’t see the wood for the trees.