10 hour rule

I have opt’d out of the 10 hour rule so I can work longer than 10 hours if I start before 4.

One of my work colleagues reckons I can’t opt back in until the start of the next 17 week reference period.

Is he correct on this?

Cheers

I doubt it.
You’ll can opt back in any time you want as long as you watch your average working time over the weeks.

I sit to be corrected by those more in the know though but ive never heard of a 17 week reference period for opting back in

You can’t opt out (or back in again) on an individual basis - it has to be a collective workplace agreement.

As has been said you cannot opt out by yourself unless you’re the only driver, only groups of workers can have a workforce agreement to opt out of the night time rules not individual drivers.

As far as opting back in again that would have to be the subject of another workforce agreement, unless you wait 5 years for the current workforce agreement to expire.

thats what i thought tacho…but you cant opt out or in…so if the collective decided its in…then so are you…until the next vote…as an individual…you can refuse to work for only 10 hours every day…management wont like it…and you could be out of work because they have an agreement with the workforce and thats a majority vote…same as brexit.

truckyboy:
thats what i thought tacho…but you cant opt out or in…so if the collective decided its in…then so are you…until the next vote…as an individual…you can refuse to work for only 10 hours every day…management wont like it…and you could be out of work because they have an agreement with the workforce and thats a majority vote…same as brexit.

We have a workforce agreement. All that means is we then get the option to individually opt in or out. Lots of the drivers have opted out and lots stayed in.

I opted out but am struggling to sleep hence want to opt back in so don’t get pre-4 starts.

mrdj:
We have a workforce agreement. All that means is we then get the option to individually opt in or out. Lots of the drivers have opted out and lots stayed in.

I opted out but am struggling to sleep hence want to opt back in so don’t get pre-4 starts.

If you have a workforce agreement and the company are allowing you to decide individually whether or not you want to work more than 10 hours it’s a company decision, so you’ll need to find out what the company policy is.

Technically all the drivers are opted out with the workforce agreement.

Sent from my mobile.