10 Hour Drives...

Quick one, probably best answered by a 13 page quote from Rog :slight_smile: Just Kidding.

Nowhere at all in the rules and regs can I find definate clarification on doing a 10 hour drive on a SUNDAY NIGHT shift, which week does the extention (i.e. 1/2 or 2/2) fall in, the week I started in or the week that I went over the 9 hours?

ie. 1800 - 0900 shift on a sunday night with 9 1/2 hrs driving

Tachomaster does not seem to think it is the “New week” but I did think that it was the new weeks reduction, I cant seem to find anything in GV262 or any other website to back it up

I always thought that the first shift after a weekly rest (Regardless of day) was the beginning of a new week.
My weekly rest often started on a Thursday and the first shift of the following week on Saturday night…

I’m retired now so a bit too late to worry if I did get it wrong :laughing:

Martin:
I always thought that the first shift after a weekly rest (Regardless of day) was the beginning of a new week.
My weekly rest often started on a Thursday and the first shift of the following week on Saturday night…

That would make way too much sense…

The 9-10 hour drive is done on a FIXED week (0000-2359 Monday - Sunday)

Thats why I am asking for clarification as the shift passes through both periods

Article 6 of (EC) 561/2006 says:

The daily driving time shall not exceed nine hours.
However, the daily driving time may be extended to at most
10 hours not more than twice during the week.

I would say that if the driving time is extended after midnight ie you go over the 9 hours after midnight, it will count for week 2, if you go over the 9 hour drive on Sunday before midnight I would say it will count for week 1.

As far as I’m aware this has never been confirmed nor disputed by either VOSA or the EU, but that’s the way I see it.

trubster:

Martin:

That would make way too much sense…

You’re right that would make far too much sense :laughing:

I think Neil answered this one quite succinctly. If you drive 10 hours on Sunday, lets say you start at 12 noon. All those 10 hours will count for the previous week if you understand my drift.

If you start at 2100 on Sunday, you have only actually driven 3 hours before the next week starts as you quite rightly suggest. A Week is the period between 00.00 Monday and 23.59 Sunday. Although by the time you finish your shift in the morning, you will have used up one of your lives for that week

it is a great question though.

I look forward to an alternative point of view.

Wheel Nut:
I think Neil answered this one quite succinctly. If you drive 10 hours on Sunday, lets say you start at 12 noon. All those 10 hours will count for the previous week if you understand my drift.

If you start at 2100 on Sunday, you have only actually driven 3 hours before the next week starts as you quite rightly suggest. A Week is the period between 00.00 Monday and 23.59 Sunday. Although by the time you finish your shift in the morning, you will have used up one of your lives for that week

it is a great question though.

I look forward to an alternative point of view.

Well that is the logical way that I see it, but when my card is downloaded in Tachomaster, it says “9-10 hour drives = 0” even though I did 9.5 hours on sunday night

If you’re driving at 23:59, flick your down arrow to see your fortnightly drive ( denoted by two THIN lines ) clock the time ( say for instance 78h 55 mins ) and then once midnight one comes ( 00:01 hrs ) it would deduct your previous weeks driving ( say 38h 55 mins) equals 40h 00 mins! :laughing: obviously UTC TIME so think on at the moment 01:00 hrs, give it a minute then check! :sunglasses: As for your ten, you could be on weekly rest Thursday and Friday. Then you could drive four ten hour drives if you so wish! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: KEEP 'ER LIT DRIVES! :smiley:

This was discussed before with both Coffeeholic and geebee45 stating that the 10 hour drive belongs to the fixed week in which the extension over 9 hours was started in

That makes sense because the regs mention the extension and not the whole drive

Start the 10th hour before sunday midnight and it belongs to week 1 but start it after sunday midnight and it belongs to week 2

ROG:
This was discussed before with both Coffeeholic and geebee45 stating that the 10 hour drive belongs to the fixed week in which the extension over 9 hours was started in

That makes sense because the regs mention the extension and not the whole drive

Start the 10th hour before sunday midnight and it belongs to week 1 but start it after sunday midnight and it belongs to week 2

Yep, that sounds right as I said to the last post… I can only assume that tachomaster is wrong