10/10 to the DVLA

A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from the DVLA saying my photo needed renewing by the end of this month. So last Saturday I went to the local Post office where they took my photo and sent the form off. Today I got my licence back, both photo card and paper bit. Which is a brilliant service.
The bit I don’t understand is the expiry date on my HGV has changed. the date on the old licence was the 12-2-2014, the date on the new licence is the
11-8-2016.
Any body got any theories as to why?

Lucky you! :laughing: are you 45 yet? First expiry on your HGV is 45 :sunglasses: but if you’ve got two years extra, sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don’t tell ANYONE! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Makes a change from the people who get theirs back after a dozen phone calls and a three month turnaround - plus when it comes back your entitlements are missing and it starts all over again…
Well done fella

brados:
Makes a change from the people who get theirs back after a dozen phone calls and a three month turnaround - plus when it comes back your entitlements are missing and it starts all over again…
Well done fella

Currently happening to 2 friends of mine, who, despite having their medicals, are still awaiting their licences back after waiting a month, and ringing the DVLA daily as their entitlements are about to expire. Their respective employers have told them that they will be sent home without pay until they can prove that they have them back.

Ken.

Quinny:

brados:
Well done fella

Currently happening to 2 friends of mine, who, despite having their medicals, are still awaiting their licences back after waiting a month, and ringing the DVLA daily as their entitlements are about to expire. Their respective employers have told them that they will be sent home without pay until they can prove that they have them back.

Ken.

You can ask DVLA for a covering letter to show your employer or if you are stopped, it just states that your licence is with them and is being renewed and that you are still okay to drive.

knight:
A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from the DVLA saying my photo needed renewing by the end of this month. So last Saturday I went to the local Post office where they took my photo and sent the form off. Today I got my licence back, both photo card and paper bit. Which is a brilliant service.
The bit I don’t understand is the expiry date on my HGV has changed. the date on the old licence was the 12-2-2014, the date on the new licence is the
11-8-2016.

When was your last medical done ?
When are you age 45 ?
Do you have any medical issues which require you to have them checked every 3 years for example ?

ROG:

knight:
11-8-2016.

When was your last medical done ?
When are you age 45 ?
Do you have any medical issues which require you to have them checked every 3 years for example ?

Rog this has been done on here a few times recently,mine was one,company were dubious but checked it all out for me and said its o.k,

Sorry I was a bit short on the info. I’m 63 and I was expecting to have a medical next year. No medical probs at all.

brados:

Quinny:

brados:
Well done fella

Currently happening to 2 friends of mine, who, despite having their medicals, are still awaiting their licences back after waiting a month, and ringing the DVLA daily as their entitlements are about to expire. Their respective employers have told them that they will be sent home without pay until they can prove that they have them back.

Ken.

You can ask DVLA for a covering letter to show your employer or if you are stopped, it just states that your licence is with them and is being renewed and that you are still okay to drive.

If you renew it through the post office they will give you a receipt to caver you till your licence comes back.

I’ve no idea about the expiry date on your licence, but as far as the DVLA are concerned I’ve always had first class service off them.

In the past few years I’ve renewed my licence (medical) twice, renewed the photo, got my first driver card and then another one last year, and always received the items back within a week, sometimes receiving the item in only 3 or 4 days.

And I’ve never used recorded delivery or the post office for any of the items :smiley:

Hello Knight, how much was photo at post office please ?
I’ve got a medical in sept. and my photo is to renew at about same time I intend to do it same time if DVLA system will stand such a complex operation !
What do you think ?
Jim

Jim
The charge for renewing the licence was £20 and the post office charged £4.50 for taking the photo and sending the form off.

Thanks knight, better than going to a photo booth then ?

knight:
11-8-2016.

From age 45 to age 65, your LGV licence has to be renewed every five years, but from age 65 it has to be done annually. Normally when you renew, the five years or whatever runs from the date your renewal is processed, but if you are already over 61, the expiry date will be the day before your 66th birthday. At least, that’s how I think it works.

Roymondo:

knight:
11-8-2016.

From age 45 to age 65, your LGV licence has to be renewed every five years, but from age 65 it has to be done annually. Normally when you renew, the five years or whatever runs from the date your renewal is processed, but if you are already over 61, the expiry date will be the day before your 66th birthday. At least, that’s how I think it works.

That’s spot on, the 11-8-2016 is the day before my 66th so that makes sense or would if I had just had a medical. But I haven’t all I have done at their request is renewed the photo on the licence. So if this now means I will miss a medical should I report it or keep quiet.

To be safe, I would query it with DVLA - and I would do it now. Otherwise you might end up in the position of them revoking your licence without notice and then having to arrange medical exam and submit forms before being allowed to drive a LGV again. Do it by post, and keep any reply they send as proof, just in case the brown stuff hits the fan between Feb 2014 and April 2016.

I phoned the DVLA to query it this afternoon and was told it is in line with new European legislation. So no medical till 2016 by which time I hope I will have retired. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: