10 1/2 hours driving

Question■■? What if you are on your way home and are at 10 hours driving and you are only half hour from home. Are you expected to just pull over and hang up the keys. You guys know how it is with congestion and all that goes on the road to slow you down. What can I put on my tacho■■? HELP!!!

10 hours max thats it no more you might get away with going 5/10 mins over and put on card you was within 5 mile of base but dont do it reguarly

As hanson said I think if you push it a few minutes once in a while to get home, VOSA might just mention it, so you know that they know it was there, but most I’ve met do seem to understand we are human, and can be resonable if you are resonable with them.

But if you know you can’t get home in 10, then stick in a 9 hour drive and leave the 10 for the day you can get home. :wink:

RIC:
Question■■? What if you are on your way home and are at 10 hours driving and you are only half hour from home. Are you expected to just pull over and hang up the keys. You guys know how it is with congestion and all that goes on the road to slow you down. What can I put on my tacho■■? HELP!!!

Yes you are expected to…

You have to draw a line somewhere dont you…
If you are let off at 10h 30m, what happens when the next man is at 10h 33m, its only 3 mins more, then the next man at 10h 37m, and so on and so on… Before you know it people are doing 11h+ driving days and getting away with it…

I take it you are a day man, and dont do nights out■■?

Probably why you should only be thinking of doing 9 hours driving, and then on the odd occasion you have to go over you have that extra hour. IMHO the extra hour is for emergencies and the like, not just so that longer journeys can be done.

As this should not happen on a regular basis then it is unlikely that any one-off incident of this kind would get the driver into trouble.

Whatever the UNFORESEEN INCIDENT was that delayed the driver should be noted on the tacho.

As for how much over the 10 hours a driver can drive for, I would image that would come under the term REASONABLE if SAFE to do so.

I’m sure I got this right but a tacho GURU will be along soon I’m sure to explain better :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

RIC:

Legally you’re supposed to stop before going over the driving time so you have committed an offence by not parking up, I doubt VOSA would be too concerned about the occasional few minutes but half an hour may be a bit over the top I would have thought.
If it’s just a one off I imagine they would read you the riot act rather than prosecute, but do it on a regular basis and get court and I think you would probably be saying goodbye to your license at least for a short while :open_mouth:

As for what you can put on the tacho, I suppose it depends on the type of roads that the last half hour of driving was done on, if there wasn’t a suitable place to park up then you could use that as an excuse, but to be honest how often do you drive for half hour without passing parking places, seems to me that you can only use whatever lame excuse you can think of and hope that your charts aren’t checked :wink:

Our day men will have fun again at Christmas Cribbs Causway Bristol jun 17 M5 they have to get passed the shopping center :laughing: :laughing:

Took us 2 1/2 hrs just to get out last year
Mind it might be better this year now they have the new shopping center in town
Doubt it though :laughing: hell why do I worry
OVER TIME :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oh yeah by the time I finish it’ll be all clear so I’ll still be under driving hours

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE TO BE QUITE HONEST I KNEW I WAS GETTING CLOSE TO THE 10 BUT THE TACHO DID NOT FLASH OFF AND ON TO TELL ME I WAS AT THE 10 HOUR MARK SO I THOUGHT I HAD A LITTLE BIT TO GO AND WAS SURPRISED ON MY PRINTOUT. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE COMMENTS!!!

I used to get loads of infringements for not having sufficient rest after 4.5 hours driving (didnt have my break early enough - was doing multidrop, or had 44 minutes break) had to sign a bit of paper but nothing has ever come of it. this must have hapened about 10 times in a year and some of the infringements were like 6 hours 40 without a correct break etc… now i make sure i have my break early and have 46 or 47 mins etc