1 to 1 or 2 to 1 driver training

Hi, just curious as what you guys think is better.

I’ve tried 1 to 1 but had imo a bad instructor; for me anyway and failed. I found that after a while I would start losing concentration and tend to make more mistakes.

I’m about to apply for another training school which seems to be 2-1 and is DSA approved school. I’m curious about which is better though. For me it seems better in the sense I can learn from a fellow trainees mistakes and pick up on the stuff he is doing right.

I know there are a few instructors here so your input would be great.

No offence fella but you shouldn’t really be losing concentration driving on your lessons,how you going to stay focused doing upto 10 hrs driving a day once you’ve passed?!
The whole 1 to 1 and 2 to 1 debate has been done quite a few times on here,personally I wouldn’t go with a 2:1 because price wise you’ll pay a similar amount but spend quite a few hrs sitting watching someone else drive which to me would be incredibly boring and frustrating because it’s less time behind the wheel for you.

If you’re there anyway you’d wanna be driving the whole time,well I would.

There is no right and wrong with this debate. Personally I prefer 1:1. Each method has it’s advantages and otherwise.

Which trainer are you considering?

Are they on this list? dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

It all depends on the individual regarding 1 to 1 or 2 to 1

If getting dcpc periodic hours from the practical training then 2 to 1 gets you double the hours

Peter Smythe:
Are they on this list? dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Yep! I don’t know how important this is but it must be pretty decent if there are only a few schools on the list. But for all I know maybe they just send in a form to get accredited. :laughing:

xichrisxi:
No offence fella but you shouldn’t really be losing concentration driving on your lessons,how you going to stay focused doing upto 10 hrs driving a day once you’ve passed?!

Driving lessons/Tests for me at least is a completely different environment compared to general driving/ driving for work. I’ve had this issue on my car/bike and lgv training. I’m not a great trainee. Especially with my LGV their was only so much shouting/moaning before I just switch off.

A lot of people have similar issues while on their training which they don’t get once they passed.

when I was LGV instructing I mainly did 2 to 1 and had no issues at all but it does come down to whether the instructor can be fair as well as tailor the training to each individual

Think it takes more than a bit of form filling but Peter will be able to tell you more!

I did my C training 1:1 with Petes lot. Not once was I shouted at or moaned at or heard anything remotely derogatory. The best way to learn it is in a relaxed environment.

By day 3 of 4 I had a headache, but that was from consenting hard and trying to focus a lot, many people experience this and it’s quite normal.

Don’t put up with shoddy training. I wouldn’t consider doing 2:1 myself as I have no interest in warching someone else learn to drive lol

NickW88:
I have no interest in warching someone else learn to drive lol

What about learning from their errors so you do not lose time and money by doing the same :question:

I don’t know how important this is but it must be pretty decent if there are only a few schools on the list. But for all I know maybe they just send in a form to get accredited. :laughing:

Trust me, filling in the forms is the easy bit!! Many standards are checked each year and if these aren’t reached accreditation is lost.

There are trainers who could be accredited but either cant be bothered or don’t see a value in it. That’s up to them. But the majority of trainers wouldn’t be able to demonstrate the required standards.

An interesting bonus in the OP’s case is that the DVSA would be very interested in any case of instructor misconduct. Because the school could loose it’s accreditation it’s going to be vigilant on conduct standards as well as everything else.

Also a fact that the national pass rate is IRO 50% whereas the accredited centres are IRO 70%.

ROG:

NickW88:
I have no interest in warching someone else learn to drive lol

What about learning from their errors so you do not lose time and money by doing the same :question:

Good point Rog, I suppose it all comes down to how people learn best, I have no doubt that there are people who will learn better on the 2:1 ratio.

Some like me learn best by doing, some by observing.

I’ve just passed my class 2 and I did 2 on 1 and at first, when I was given the choice between that or 1 on 1, I was a bit nervous about having to train with another person but I’m glad I did because there is only so much info you can absorb while trying to concentrate. Therefore when you’re watching the other guy drive you can see what’s going on and listen to the instructor without the worry of concentrating on driving! Plus you get twice the amount of hours in the cab. Win win. Hope that helps.

The amount of dosh it costs, for me it’s one to one or I go elsewhere,

Austin0711:

Cost is the same whether 1 to 1 or 2 to 1

Austin0711 wrote:
Cost is the same whether 1 to 1 or 2 to 1

I think that’s the point he’s making.

The comments about not being able to concentrate for x hours worry me. I am well aware it’s not the same, but drivers may well get out of bed at 4 in the morning for a 5am start. And then not finish their shift until 8 at night. Concentration is key, together with stamina.

On a regular basis we conduct training over weekends. This is 7 hours on Sat, same on Sunday, test Monday. The last three have all passed 1st time. 1 minor, clean sheet, 3 minors. Now tell me that it cant be done! Of course it can. It’s simply down to personal choice and circumstances.

Not really had an issue with CE training done in a couple of days but have found severe issues with C training unless so many breaks are taken that the trainee ends up paying for them instead of actual training time

Peter Smythe:

Also a fact that the national pass rate is IRO 50% whereas the accredited centres are IRO 70%.

That is very good to know :slight_smile:

On 2-1 training you’ll be able to listen better to your instructors advice as its being given to the other driver. You’ll be able to take in much more information about your environment and the areas used for testing, along with watching mistakes made by the driver and learning how to correct them. The thinking/reflection time allowed while being a passenger can be so beneficial.

On another note, on 2-1 training it’s easier to be on the road for longer periods as you can change the driver every now and then. You’ll see more of the area and learn more on the road. On 1-1 training you’ll cover less miles and most debriefing of problems has to happen while the vehicle is parked.

The only issue I find with 1-1 training is if the two trainees are poles apart in standards as the bad one can restrict the good ones’ enthusiasm and the good one can ruin the bad ones confidence. This doesn’t happen often but when it does we separate them after the first day to help them both out.

I went for a driving assessment and got given the option of 1-1 or 2-1.
I went with 1-1 but I think I would of been happy with 2-1.
As I have experience already the instructor recommended 1-1 maybe due to the fact that putting me with a fresh guy with no experience might of been bad for both of us.

Peter Smythe:
There is no right and wrong with this debate. Personally I prefer 1:1. Each method has it’s advantages and otherwise.

+1, all depends on the individuals preference. 1-1 works well for me although I do have 3 seats so could do the 2-1. My view is if it’s not broke don’t fix it.

Could Make more money doing 2-1 though…but it’s about what produces the best results to help my good reputation. (Well hope it is)

Paul :smiley:

On very rare occasions we train 2:1. But it has to be where the 2 candidates are being paid for by the same company. That way, if candidate A is very good, we can spend more time with candidate B to give both the best chance of passing.

IMO, to do this when someone has paid for their own training would be quite wrong. I differ big style from most trainers on this discussion as I have had terrible mis-matches in the cab. So this I why I prefer 1:1.

The easiest example is 2 folks on an artic. One cracks the reverse in 20 minutes (not that unusual) and the other one is no-where near after a couple of hours (also not unheard of). What does the trainer do? He either has to drag the second one off the area and go driving or he leaves him to practice and the one who’s cracked it is left kicking his heels. (And probably his arse wishing he’d booked 1:1!).

So this I why I prefer 1:1.

And I repeat that, although we only do this at weekends, 7 hour sessions 1:1 produce extremely good results (not a fail in living memory). Nothing to do with whether it’s C or CE. Just works. Folks will stand the best chance of passing the test if everything is stacked in their favour. And that’s what we’ve achieved and sets us apart from most other trainers.

I would do this all the time but it doesn’t work operationally and some folks worry about it. So it’s good to have choices and be able to spread the training to suit.

Folks will stand the best chance of passing the test if everything is stacked in their favour. And that’s what we’ve achieved and sets us apart from most other trainers.