1 month in work with CAT C

Hi all, thought I’d update to where I’m at.

I passed my test in September, was very lucky and managed to get a full time job with Hermes and been driving with them for around 1 month now.

I drive 7.5t and 12t (depends how busy) it has mainly been 12t

My job is to deliver a couple of pallets to sub depot in Scunthorpe, then go to couriers houses dropping around 100 parcels to each courier around 10 in total. Then go to Grimsby Sub to collect returns and drive back to our depot in Sheffield to unload.

The hardest part of the job for me at the moment is manoeuvring in and around the depot when there is 20 trucks manoeuvring at the same time trying to get out or in.

The depot itself is tiny and very busy and only getting busier, so you need to be focused on what your doing. Very tight reversing needs to be done in the depot which can be quiet nervy at times when u know someone is watching you, no mistakes as yet (touch wood) I know it will get easier with experience.

Some of the couriers houses are a pain in the arse to get to as well, when they got the job as a courier I don’t think they realised that a 12t needs to get to there house, cause some are in places where u need to go you can only just get a car in.

But having said that I’m absolutely loving it.

Days average from 8 hours up to 13 hours, money’s pretty decent and overtime is available which I’m grabbing.

Best choice I ever did was going from a baker to a driver.

I will be going for class 1 as well just wanna save some pennies first and get Xmas out the way.

Just to say to all you newbies out there like me there are companies that will give the likes of us a go. Keep applying for jobs and something will come up

[emoji3][emoji598]

Always good to hear a good, positive post.

This might interest you: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=132431

Keep the good work up, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Congrats Matt, glad you’re having fun! :smiley:

The climate can’t be to bad, I’m even employed! (Sort of… :laughing:)